Options

Best book for Security+

OptimisticOptimistic Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I decided study requirement of security+ 301 certification , but I do not know , what best " book " for pass exam ? , and how I get to old exam 301 ? , I hope to get your help

Comments

• Options
    MephistoMephisto Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Optimistic wrote: »
    I decided study requirement of security+ 301 certification , but I do not know , what best " book " for pass exam ? , and how I get to old exam 301 ? , I hope to get your help

Hi,
    Like you I want to take the the 301. the old one is the 201 and I believe they will retire that exam at the end of 2011. I will start reading CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit for the 301 exam, so far they say that the best book is the Darril Gibson Security+, but thats only to the 201 exam. But I believe you can pass the exam with any book that cover all the objectives.

Good luckicon_exclaim.gif
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mephisto wrote: »
    Hi,
    Like you I want to take the the 301. the old one is the 201 and I believe they will retire that exam at the end of 2011. I will start reading CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit for the 301 exam, so far they say that the best book is the Darril Gibson Security+, but thats only to the 201 exam. But I believe you can pass the exam with any book that cover all the objectives.

Good luckicon_exclaim.gif

I can confirm that the 201 is the older version and the 301 is the newer version. I can also confirm that you can take the 201 until the end of the year and that Darril's book is king for that exam.

I have heard it straight from the horses mouth (sorry Darril) that the infamous Darril Gibson book is being upgraded for the 301. He also said that there are enough changes between the two exams that he wouldn't advise using 201 material for the 301.

So it looks like you have 3 choices. Use Darril's book and take the 201. You have until the end of the year and you will only need a month or two at most to knock this down. Option 2 would be to find a source specifically geared for the 301. I'm not even sure that there are any out there yet. And then option 3 would be to put your plans on hold and wait for a new source/Darril's updated book and then take the 301.

If I were sitting in your shoes, I would probably just do the 201. Sure it is a slightly older test, but when it comes to CompTIA certs they just care that you have it. You can always do the 301 exam later rather than bothering with CE credits to keep it active.

I did the 201 back when it was a lifer. My intent is to wait for Darril's new book and take that exam as a good refresher as well as converting my Security+ into the type that expires.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

But don't take my word for it (reading rainbow joke)
    Darril wrote: »
    Hiring managers rarely care about the version (but I've been told that most associated with DoD toss a resume that doesn't have any Security+ cert).

You can continue to take the 201 exam until the end of December 2011, and you'll be required to keep it current with continuing education (CE) but the CE requirements don't change from 201 to 301.

I'm heavy into the 301 objectives (updating my book), and there are enough differences to echo other's advice. Take the exam you've been studying for.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Devilbane, although your post cleared up any question about the 201 vs 301 and if I should get the infamous Darril Gibson book now, or wait, the +Rep is all for this:
    Devilsbane wrote: »

Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    onesaint wrote: »
    Devilbane, although your post cleared up any question about the 201 vs 301 and if I should get the infamous Darril Gibson book now, or wait, the +Rep is all for this:
    Originally Posted by Devilsbane viewpost.gif

Geordi LaForge icon_wink.gif
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    JoshD779 wrote: »
    Geordi LaForge icon_wink.gif

Kunte Kinte
  • Options
    idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    Counter Hack Reloaded
  • Options
    qdog007qdog007 Banned Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Counterhack:Reloaded - Edward Skoudis
    Malware: Fighting Malicious Code - Edward Skoudis

Then, read one of the "official" Security+ study guide book.
  • Options
    E-UnixE-Unix Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are there any study guides that contain only the changes that have occurred between the previous Security+ exam and the newer version? I want to avoid having to re-read the same material, if possible.
  • Options
    E-Unix wrote: »
    Are there any study guides that contain only the changes that have occurred between the previous Security+ exam and the newer version? I want to avoid having to re-read the same material, if possible.

I don't know of an all in one source. You could pull the objectives for each, isolate the changes, and then use the table of contents to read the differences.
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I don't know of an all in one source. You could pull the objectives for each, isolate the changes, and then use the table of contents to read the differences.

+1. I think if you read Gibson's current book, watch the Messer videos, and do a bit of extra research on the side you will probably be golden. Or, you could study for something else for now and then do 301 when the new book is released.
  • Options
    jkellumjkellum Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I might be a bit biased, but Sybex recently came out with a new edition of it's best-selling Security+ Study Guide for SY0-301.

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+ Study Guide: Exam SY0-301 (978111801473icon_cool.gif: Emmett Dulaney: Books
  • Options
    bllizzardbllizzard Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all. I have checked all possible sites and the only book which i do believe is the right choice at the moment is from Sybex.Covers 301 objectives and I will not learn for 201 which is quite old and i'll buy the book for 301 from Sybex.I have checked this forum and saw that several guys studied like 12hours and passed ( big score too) which means or the exam was quite easy and the questions arecommon sens/based on experience or they used some **** which are not relevant for me as I would go for studying and learning not for memorize .Cheers