Options

Boss says Comptia certs don't mean anything?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Hmm, not sure. I'll send this her way. Thanks for the link. Even if that is so, this page still provides evidence that CompTIA certs are worth it.

This depends on what the job is for. Some Billets require specific certifications to fulfill the requirements because of the way the position was written. This blanket statement though sometimes correct is not an end all be all. She should converse with her HR department to determine what is actually require for her position. Is it an IAT level 1 certification or a billet specific certification.

Just so that I can do the OP the courtesy, Comptia certs are entry level but I personally believe that they add value to a portfolio. Now if your boss has an opinion of what he wants for that position you fill those requirements. I do not believe that he relayed the information to you in the most professional manner but that is beside the point by now.

There are always going to be people in the world who undervalue your accomplishments or knowledge, don't worry about it. Concentrate on what matters.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The mantra in Federal cyber-security at this time is to have across the board compliance with a single defined security standard based on whatever the DoD, CIA, NSA is doing in ALL government agencies so as to keep the entire Federal system secure.

Very interesting, I did not know that... I wonder if it will be renamed down the road? And who gets update authority?

Re: higher level certs not being adequate for lower -level requirements -

'AP3.2.5. Higher-level IAM certifications satisfy lower level requirements. Certifications listed in Level II or III cells can be used to qualify for Level I. However, Level I certifications cannot be used for Level II or III unless the certification is also listed in the Level II or III cell. '

While higher levels of authority do have discretion, and can implement more strict requirements, they still must be compliant with the regulation... and the reg clearly states that they are acceptable. They can exceed the regulation all they want, but they cannot contradict it.

I think I am the minority in this opinion though. ;)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    higherho wrote: »
    You need to send some emails higher level IAM / DAA from the DOD regarding the 8570. Your organization is wrong and needs to be proven wrong but a higher entity.

I'm IAT LV1 and 2 because I have a Security +.

On topic. The certs are not valuable in your situation but the certs are valuable in a sense to get people introduced to IT and get some exposure. Your CCNA is not going to mean anything if Cisco goes under and everyone moves to Juniper. See my last comment? Just sounds like your boss being blunt and close minded. Of course these certs are only Entry level and that is obvious. Once your in a position you have to keep growing and the only way to do that is to get pass the entry level material.

@Bl8ckr0uter

Off topic, but the individual I was going to contact for you regarding sourcefire called off today =/

Well, in regards to DOD 8570, I would argue that just with Security+ that you are not in compliance due to not meeting both the BE and the CE requirements. You would need a memo for the CE portion to operate alone on any government systems in an IT environment.

I'm currently in Iraq and we are going through this as we speak. I have Site Admin rights as well as 63 others in country. Do you know how many people meet the BE/CE requirements without a memo on the CE side? 4.

I would venture that this would be true back home as well, I just haven't been back to see in a while.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    The Security+ was the worst exam I have ever taken. The questions were poorly reflected and left you searching for the CompTIA answer, despite multiple potentially correct answers. I was shocked when I finished and the screen indicated that I passed. At least I got it when it was lifetime, couldn't imagine testing for that thing every 3 years.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Talked to my IAM today about this IAT level 1 and 2 issue. He agreed that your organization is not doing it correctly and stated that a higher level cert will trickle down. Meaning since I have a security + I am also IAT level 1.

Please point your organization to this site

Information Assurance Support Environment Home Page

You can get all the information about the DOD 8570 and more.
    Higher level IAT and IAM certifications satisfy lower level requirements. Certifications listed in Level II or III cells can be used to qualify for Level I. However, Level I certifications cannot be used for Level II or III unless the certification is also listed in the Level II or III cell. For example
    http://iase.disa.mil/eta/iawip/content_pages/iabaseline.html

Also prerogative does not matter. They cannot enforce policies that the DOD did not create or imply.

@cxzar20

I agree with you 100%. I thought the structure of the exam and the questions were poorly done. I wonder if they fixed any of that in the 301 exam.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What difference does our opinion make? The person who can directly effect your paycheck said they are worthless and get the CCNA/CCNP. Go get the cussing CCNA/CCNP. Done deal.

The most true statement.....

In my view CompTIA certs are for the person starting out in Help Desk/Desktop Support type roles. I think even CompTIA knows this which is why they have developed the CASP. When you get into higher paying roles like Net Adim, Sys Admin and Security you are going to need the learning that goes into those fields whether it is M$, Cisco/Juniper or the CISSP. It is like the difference between college degrees (AS vs BS vs MS). The CompTIA certs certainly are not worthless but they won't be the fact that gets you the high paid jobs either.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I keep seeing the term "worthless" coming up in this thread.

Don't you think the "worth" of a certification is relevant to where you are in the field?

A CCIE# might be worthless to a programmer, but does that make it a worthless cert?

Edit to add: At this point in my career (9 years experience), my A+ and Security+ are indeed worthless. But they definitely were not when I got them. My A+ helped land me more than 1 job.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    factory81factory81 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Depends on who you ask.

Nerdy network guys = Network+ means just what it means. Entry level network test. You aren't out deploying routers/switches, and they all hold Cisco certs to a higher standard. Also noted that if you can pass a CCNA, they are confident in your ability to pass a Network+ exam.

HR/Execs = still may see value in it. But they all know what the real valuable certifications are (for the position they are seeking to fill). So basically all that matters is what your boss/current employer says.