Internet Usage Policy

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does anyone have any type of policy out there that they can help me with? We're experiencing some people using the internet for leisure. As of right now we don't have a full policy in place. My boss has caught a few people, obviously they're gone now. We were talking on Friday about writing up some type of policy, does anyone have a brief policy that they can share?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    If the company is large enough to have a legal department, you'll want to get them involved too. Also may have to get HR involved, or whoever is responsible for official company policies, to make sure it follows the format of all your other company policies.

After you get one written up and approved, it should be made part of the new employee orientation. Often times you'll see it as part of annual required training.

You should also put it on the legal notice (use a GPO) so everybody sees it every time they logon. It usually won't actually get read, but it is there as a CYA. See: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/02/08/deploying-legal-notices-to-domain-computers-using-group-policy.aspx
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is what I used at my last job.inet usgae.doc
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Does anyone have any type of policy out there that they can help me with? We're experiencing some people using the internet for leisure. As of right now we don't have a full policy in place. My boss has caught a few people, obviously they're gone now. We were talking on Friday about writing up some type of policy, does anyone have a brief policy that they can share?

I always filter adult material and general time wasters, this is to protect the employee and the employer. My watchguards have a feature called "break time" where they can log in and get generally unrestricted internet access for 30 minutes once or twice a day. This is a pain in the butt and it works. Generally I tell people that they should manage the business, not the internet. For example, facebook is allowed and it is found that an employee is on FB the whole dang day. You look into the Line of Business App and you find they are doing their job and their stats are the same as everyone else. This means they are either uber efficient OR they simply leave FB up in another tab while they are doing their job.

This approach seems to work well because when it is termination time they can say "you did half the amount of work of others" instead of "we caught you facebooking". In front of the unemployment judge the former works a lot better than the latter.