Options

ITIL V3 Foundation vs ITIL 2011?

SecurityGuru23SecurityGuru23 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
Everyone, I'm completely lost. I was thinking about taking the ITIL V3 Foundation next week but now that I heard someone mentioned that there's an updated version, which is ITIL 2011 and that ITIL V3 is no longer being offered? I've been studying for the ITIL V3 all week so does that mean that now I have to study for the new ITIL 2011 edition, someone, anyone, help!!!

Comments

• Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi SecurityGuru

ITIL 2011 is an updated version of ITIL V3. As of Jan 1st 2012, new exams were offered that reflect the 2011 content rather than the (2007) V3 content.

If you've studied for the Foundation against the old syllabus, I would recommend you download the new syllabus from the ITIL Official Site and decide how much extra study you need to do. My company produced a comprehensive video of the differences which you see here - link about half way down the page: ITIL Introduction with Free ITIL Resources and PDF

If you studied with a training provider they may give you access to updated materials too so it's worth asking them. Please message me if you've got any questions.

Claire
  • Options
    SecurityGuru23SecurityGuru23 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Claire,

Thank you for the information, I will look into downloading the new ITIL syllabus once I get a chance to do so.
  • Options
    Patrick_HenryPatrick_Henry Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am studying for the Foundation exam and saw this thread.

Has the Foundation exam changed? From the ITIL website it doesn't appear so. The syllabus and sample exam conform to the study guide I am using -- Passing your ITIL Foundation Exam, which proclaims on the front cover that it is updated with the 2009 syllabus.

Specifically, I looked for any references to cloud computing in the syllabus and exam and there was nothing listed. I note that because a section on cloud computing is listed as one of the changes for 2011.
  • Options
    Cloud computing is covered in the Service Transition core volume and the Service Transition Intermediate syllabus, but it's not referenced in the new Foundation syllabus. The Foundation exam only covers key principles and processes from the core volumes, so not everything is in it.
  • Options
    Patrick_HenryPatrick_Henry Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [h=2]Found my own answer while researching the cost of the exam....

Important Exam Information[/h]
    The English ITIL Foundation examination based on the 2007 syllabus (Version 3) will be discontinued from 31 January 2012. This exam will still be available in other languages.From 1 February 2012, only the new English examination, based on the 2011 syllabus, will be available. After this date it will no longer be possible to resit the 2007 (version 3) examination in English.
  • Options
    Hi Patrick

That information includes the fact that anyone who failed a 2007 exam before Dec 31st 2011 can resit against the 2007 syllabus until Jan 31st 2012.

For anyone coming to the exam for the first time after Jan 1st, the 2011 syllabus automatically applies.

As a training provider, I can say I'll be very happy when there is just one version and less confusion!
  • Options
    Deepak_netDeepak_net Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wanted to go to ITIL exam. So wanted to know if i wanted to appear now so i will be going for ITIL 2011 or ITIL V3 ? Bit confused. Please guide... Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Deepak

If you take an exam now, it will be testing the ITIL 2011 syllabus. Remember, ITIL 2011 is an update of ITIL V3 - not a completely new version - but the changes are significant enough that you need to make sure you've studied the correct material.

Claire
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi Deepak

If you take an exam now, it will be testing the ITIL 2011 syllabus. Remember, ITIL 2011 is an update of ITIL V3 - not a completely new version - but the changes are significant enough that you need to make sure you've studied the correct material.

Claire

Glad I just read your post. I ordered a certification kit which did say v3 so I assumed it is the new one ... I assume it is better to wait for newer material to appear then ... most books I found seem to be from 2011 and older.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    vijay_ananthvijay_ananth Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    any feedback from people who have taken the new ITIL 2011 V3 foundation
  • Options
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    This was one of the first ones I found State side. I've been reading it and boy does the word "service" come up a lot. :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U6NG0E/ref=docs-os-doi_0
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    onesaint wrote: »
    This was one of the first ones I found State side. I've been reading it and boy does the word "service" come up a lot. :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U6NG0E/ref=docs-os-doi_0

Nice one, also got myself the "official" book available from ITIL ... hope that gets me going .. but yea - they sure love the word "service" ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Nice one, also got myself the "official" book available from ITIL ... hope that gets me going .. but yea - they sure love the word "service" ..

lol. Which "Official" book did you pick up? The Handbook?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Claire,

Is it worth talking the ITIL 2011 exam for the individuals who already have ITIL v3?

Abdul
  • Options
    Hi Abdul

In my opinion, no. The official scheme treats the updated foundation as exactly the same qualification as the original V3 one, so it wouldn't give you any differentiation in the job market unless you got a really picky employer.

For your own development, it would be sufficient to read an overview of the changes so you are aware of them - some books have hardly changed at all.

My company put together an overview video that you can see on this page: ITIL Introduction with Free ITIL Resources and PDF
    Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    grmgrm Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OHHH BOY!

I am scheduled to take the ITIL 2011 exam on tuesday and i didn't even bother to nice this until i already registered for my exam!! I studied for the V3 exam

I registered for the GK online self study. I am wondering if I am going to fall flat on my face now! I emailed GK to see if they will provide me with the material for 2011.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?! MAN I don't want to waste this money!
  • Options
    Hi grm

I'm sure you will be okay - GK are a great company in my experience and should be willing to help you out. While you wait, check out the video I linked to in my previous post for a summary of the changes.

Remember, ITIL 2011 is an update of V3...not a totally new version. Even if you've studied the V3 courseware you should still be be able to get a pass, it just might not be as high a mark.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

Claire
  • Options
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I have contacted peoplecert they have allowed me to push back my exam date until i am ready. hopefully GK will supply me with the 2011 material. again thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Claire!!
  • Options
    You're very welcome icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    I went ahead and took the exam last night and passed!!

Thank you for your advice!!
  • Options
    Great news! Congratulations, you must be delighted icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    natestreetnatestreet Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm VERY glad I saw this thread. I registered for the ITIL v3 yet saw ITIL 2011 Exam as an option. Furthermore the official website does not seem to clearly state that the ITIL v3 2011 exam is the most recent update to the ITIL v3 exam. Hopefully, I won't run into any issues changing the exam with Prometric.
  • Options
    itechitech Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,
    Anybody have any update what exam code to use on Prometric or on Pearson VUE(Canada) instead of EX0-101, which has been retired. I have been studying for ITILv3 foundation and found out now that it has been expired......Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    fkaramfkaram Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great news! Congratulations, you must be delighted icon_smile.gif

Hi Claire ,
    you are adding a great value to this thread , thank you so much for that :) , just one more question ,I was trying to book syllabus 2011 on Prometric website and it was available only in portugese and latin american .. something like this .. is it better to use VUE ? I have already prometric ID this is why am using it , any ideas ?

Thanks !
  • Options
    Hi there

What language are you trying to book the exam in? If it's English, it should be available through all providers so it would be worth an email to Prometric to clarify. If you're looking for another language, I know all of the translation work hasn't been completed yet for V3 so you may find the language you need isn't available yet.

All the exam providers should offer all the languages available so Prometric and Vue will be very similar.

Claire
  • Options
    fkaramfkaram Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there

What language are you trying to book the exam in? If it's English, it should be available through all providers so it would be worth an email to Prometric to clarify. If you're looking for another language, I know all of the translation work hasn't been completed yet for V3 so you may find the language you need isn't available yet.

All the exam providers should offer all the languages available so Prometric and Vue will be very similar.

Claire

Thanks you so much :) I was applying for English .. probably I will drop them an email or something , anyways now I have time since I just learned today I need to revise the 2011 syllabus too icon_study.gif .. :) thanks again
  • Options
    kamranss_20kamranss_20 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As I prepared from 2007 syllabus... can i go head with it or is there is any changes with exam point of view in 2011?