Options

ITIL V3 Foundation vs ITIL 2011?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Kamranss

ITIL 2011 is an updated version of ITIL V3. As of Jan 1st 2012, new exams were offered that reflect the 2011 content rather than the (2007) V3 content.

If you've studied for the Foundation against the old syllabus, I would recommend you download the new syllabus from the ITIL Official Site and decide how much extra study you need to do. My company produced a comprehensive video of the differences which you see here - link about half way down the page: ITIL Introduction with Free ITIL Resources and PDF

If you studied with a training provider they may give you access to updated materials too so it's worth asking them. Please message me if you've got any questions.

Claire
  • Options
    H3ckH3ck Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually just passed the ITIL Foundations Exam (2011) yesterday! icon_smile.gif However, I unknowingly started with the ITIL V3 syllabus and materials until about a couple weeks ago before I signed up for the new exam.

There are only a few new processes that are added and elaborated on. I learned a bunch of new things in 2011 edition after already having completed the 2007 material initially. Ensure you are aware of those new processes because they are definitely on the exam. Since I never took the test based on the 2007 content, I don't know how drastic it is. I would say the changes are not drastic, but significant enough that you should definitely study the 2011 update.
  • Options
    JS4000JS4000 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire, thank you, you have provided so much helpfull information on this thread. I am planning on taking the foundation exam and am using the 2011 edition of "Passing your ITIL foundation Exam"by OGC and am also going through test questione etc...

Is this book good enough as a study guide for the exam or is there something better out there in your opinion?
  • Options
    Hi JS4000

You're putting me on the spot there icon_smile.gif

The book has been written to meet the syllabus requirements so it should give you everything you need. The only thing it can't do is answer any questions you might have - but that's where forums like this one can back you up.

If you're scoring well on the test questions, you'll be fine. Good luck!

Claire
  • Options
    JS4000JS4000 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all I needed to know thanks Claire :), I wanted just to be sure that in terms of material that im covered with that book, obviously depending on how much work is put in will determine the result at exam time.

Thanks for your awesome contributions!
  • Options
    kapilkpmgkapilkpmg Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Clarie,

Is '[h=1]ITIL: A Pocket Guide' by [h=2]JAN VAN BON is good book for ITIL 2011? Please refer others good books too?[/h][/h]
  • Options
    manishomanisho Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,
    I am planning to appear for ITIL Foundation 2011 exam. Please suggest the best book for this exam which covers 2011 syllabus.

Thanks,
    Manish.
  • Options
    manishomanisho Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,

I am planning to appear for ITIL Foundation 2011 exam.

Please suggest the best book for this exam which covers 2011 syllabus.

Thanks,
    Manish.
  • Options
    Hi Manisho and Kapilkpmg

I can't recommend a best book I'm afraid as I haven't read them all icon_smile.gif

If you're looking on Amazon the ITIL version should be clearly marked to reflect V3 or 2011.

The Jan van Bon book you've linked to is just a pocket guide (i.e. not aligned with the ITIL Foundation syllabus) so really you should look for something that's directly aligned with the syllabus.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    Arvinder.SinghArvinder.Singh Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everybody,
    I need some clarification. I cleared my ITIL Foundation Exam today, but haven't received any online confirmation about that to my email id. Can anybody please tell me when do we get soft copy of the certificate and do we need to register in exin for that because currently I am not registered.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    nidafnidaf Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I am willing to sit the Foundation exam and i am willing to self-study, can anyone please let me know what are the best books and e-books out there that i can use in my mission? is the (itSMF An Introductory Overview of ITIL® V3) PDF a good choice or is it outdated with the 2011 version?

your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Jenna
  • Options
    Hi Jenna

Anything labelled as V3 is out of date now - you need material that is based on ITIL 2011. I haven't used any of the self-study books so I can't say which is best, but a search on Amazon will reveal there are a few to choose from.

You will have the best chance of success if you choose something that is specifically targeted towards the ITIL Foundation syllabus, rather than a general introduction to ITIL.

Good luck,

Claire
  • Options
    shveta saxenashveta saxena Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Please help me to know which is the latest version i need to study to clear ITIL foundation course. And please help me with the study material as well.

Thanks,
    Shveta
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    ITIL 2011. Thats the latest version. 017 is the exam code. Can do through Prometric for 99$ in India.

Material available out there. CBT Nuggets and ITIL 2011 books.

Chanakya
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    nagica22nagica22 Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dear grm, first of all congratulations for passing the exam. My question is: did you wait for GK to provide you with 2011 materials or did you use v3 (2007) materials during your preparation? Thanks in advance
    Project Engieer,
    Certification: ITIL, CCNA R&S, CCNP Route