Options

Next Step up after ITIL V3 Foundation ..?

crushboy18crushboy18 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I Recently cleared the ITIL v3 Foundation certificate exam & would like to know the most logical next step after it .
I work as a Network Engineer & my organization pretty much follows the ITIL process! But considering so many paths after the foundation exam & some searching around I am really confused & would need some guidance about what would be the most logical next step after it . According to my research, for someone like me who works in operations right now,i should either go for service operations or the OSA exam.
I am also aware that I may need to join a coaching institute for the same & cant go the self- study route!
I plan to complete the intermediate exam this year so I have plenty of time to think.In the meantime all you suggestions are welcome!I am sure everyone will have their own take on this.:D

Comments

• Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Crushboy

It sounds like you've had some good advice already. You will need to attend an accredited course to study above foundation level - although this can be classroom, online or blended learning.

SO or OSA would seem to suit your current role - the rule of thumb is that Lifecycles (SO) are for process managers/implementors and Capabilities (OSA) are for process 'doers' who work with a process on a daily basis.

If you're planning to get to Expert level, starting with an area that's familiar to you can help you master the exam technique. You can find lots of details about training providers, course contents etc on the ITIL Official Site http://www.itil-officialsite.com/ and please do message me if you have any questions.

Claire
  • Options
    Amazing!!Pretty simple rule of thumb which i didn't know & has solved my query!
    Thanks for the advice Claire!!:D
  • Options
    Another question...
    What would be a good book for OSA ( I would like to get a heads up before I join a coaching institute) & would the OSA exam also get a 2011 refresh/update?(which means I would have to wait for the 2011 editions of OSA books to come out)
  • Options
    Hi Crushboy

The OSA syllabus mainly references the Service Operation core volume so you can buy that now - the 2011 aligned editions are out but if you're buying second hand check you don't get a 2007 one. The OSA syllabus has had some changes to align it with 2011, although they are not huge. The study guide type books you will need to check on a supplier by supplier basis - some will be updated but others are still catching up.

Any course material you buy must be 2011 aligned now, as all training providers have to be in step with the new exams.

Claire
  • Options
    DHardyDHardy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Claire,

Hope you are well. I read through these posts and had a couple of additional questions.

Myself and two others are operational support team leads in a data center. We support (hands on and managerially) the main computer networks, os, and databases. The organization that we work for follows ITIL as a model. To better support them and for congruency we have all obtained the ITILv3 Foundation certification and wanted to at least purse an Interemidiate Level certification. From previous posts it looks as though SO or SOA would be the correct track.

My questions are would SO be more appropriate since we are strictly operations? Is sitting a course mandatory prior to taking the exam for both SO and SOA?

Thank you...Don from Texas
  • Options
    DHardyDHardy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry meant OSA, service oriented architecture on the brain.
  • Options
    xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Crushboy,

What text did you use to study & pass the ITIL V3 2011 test? Thanks
  • Options
    sdeskssdesks Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don,

If you are in the implementation and operations area I would recommend OSA and RCV. While so and st would also work they are for people whomspecialize in planning, engineering and prroject management . There kis a good guide out there that explains everything. Just reach out if y ou want the link.
  • Options
    nsapseadnsapsead Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I am an SDM who has completed Foundations v3 exam last year and would like to know what would be the next logical ITIL step for someone who deals predominately with Incident, Problem and Change Management.

I would like to book some further training, but want to ensure what I choose is the most relevant to what I do.

Please note I am not a technical resource at all.

Regards,
    Nick
  • Options
    Hi Nick, if you work with processes on a day to day basis (rather than manage and implement them) then the Capability intermediate courses would be a good fit for you. Release, Control and Validation includes Change Management, and Operational Support and Analysis deals with Incident and Problem Management. You can read more about the ITIL qualification scheme here: ITIL Qualifications Scheme - Online ITIL Training and Exams and feel free to DM me if you've got any questions. Claire
  • Options
    MadeshMadesh Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in to technical support on oracle based application and managing a team of 4 members..involved in implementation (training the site and preparing the people to use application). Just completed ITIL v3 foundation.
    Please guide me the next suitable step to choose after ITIL in regards to above exposure level.
  • Options
    rr_pillairr_pillai Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    I am 35 year old Mum. I did BSc Computer Science and MSc Computer Science in 2003, but have no job experience. Now I want to start my career, but don't know from where to start. I am ready to do some course to update myself. Can I do ITIL Foundation Course. Can somebody advise me please?
    Thank You
    SJ
  • Options
    Hi SJ

You can certainly do the ITIL Foundation - it doesn't need any prior experience or knowledge of ITIL. If you don't have much experience and want to make this your career I would recommend you take a course rather than use a prep book, as you'll learn more about the context and use of ITIL. Courses can be online or in a classroom, just look for an accredited training provider.

If you want to get an overview of ITIL before taking the Foundation course, have a look at Free Online ITIL Training Videos and PDF Guide, a site provided by my company to give a general introduction. If you sign up as a 'newbie' one of the emails you'll get from us will give you $50 off our online Foundation course.

If you've got any questions please feel free to message me,

Claire
  • Options
    rr_pillairr_pillai Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Claire, Thanks for your reply, As I already mention that I have no prior job experience. What job role can I apply for after ITIL Foundation Course. Can you please explain me, what's the scope of this course in my case. SJ
  • Options
    Richa.RSRicha.RS Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire.
    I have 4 years of sales experience in selling IT Infrastructure management services including one year of presales for microsoft technologies. Now I want to change my stream and get into transition& transformation. I am writing ITIL v3 Foundation next week. will this help me in my career and will i get a relevant job with sales experience. or I do need to have certain prior experience to get into this line. Also what entry role role shoould I expect after being ITIL foundation certified
    Appreciate an urgent reply
    Thanks
    RS
  • Options
    Hi SJ

ITIL Foundation is a great certification for any entry level IT position - for many people their first job in IT is either on a help desk/service desk or in an administrative or reporting role attached to IT. If you've got any customer service experience that is often useful in IT roles dealing with end users.

When I was recruiting for IT roles, I was happier to have someone with great customer service skills who could pick up technical skills, rather than someone very technical who didn't want to learn customer service skills icon_smile.gif

Claire
  • Options
    Hi RS, I think my reply above partly answers some of your questions. I'm not sure where you are located in the world, but one of the best resources is your local job forums - for example in the UK we all go to jobserve.com to look for information about available roles and what certifications are required.

Your technical sales experience should also be an asset, and the ITIL Foundation will be welcomed by employers following ITIL ways of working.

Claire
  • Options
    EEthanEEthan Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,

I accidentally bumped into this thread when I was searching for ITIL, so went through the thread regarding the ITIL and your advises are commendable

Having said that, I do have a question of my own and hope you can guide me , below is the one with a bit of back ground about me

I currently work as a Technical BA in a Supply chain domain, where i perform a standard BA role along with some project management and 2nd level support for some of the web and enterprise applications

I, recently cleared my ITIL foundation exam and I was interested in further ITIL certifications, but could not relate as to which one would be
    beneficial for me in a long term
  • Options
    Hi EEthan

For a BA, ITIL intermediate certs like Service Design or Service Offerings and Agreements might offer some useful insights for your current role. Service Transition might also help provide more detail about moving services into the live environment.

If you're doing BA, project management and some second line support, other certifications like the DevOps Foundation might be interesting for you too.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    EEthanEEthan Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,

Thanks for the valuable info, I did compare Dev Ops with ITIL and what I thought was, they dont really compliment each other, but I think I will do more analysis as to where I would like to stand after 5 years

Kind Regards,
    Eethan
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hate to use this thread, but Claire, is there anything after ITIL Foundations that would be applicable to Information Security analyst?
  • Options
    @Eethan - DevOps is still evolving but there have been some great articles published recently about how it can integrate with ITIL - have a search and a read, it's an interesting area even if you don't pursue it for training. IT service management in general is evolving at the moment and many people are looking at DevOps, Agile ITSM, Scrum etc. to see how they can work with ITIL and deliver customer value.

@Remedymp - ITIL doesn't cover security in great detail but Service Design does look at building security into services so that might be of interest to you. AXELOS (the ITIL owners) have recently developed some new best practice for security and service management called RESILIA - it may be worth you reading up on that. It's focused more on the people and process areas of security rather than being a very technical certification. It can help organisations change behaviour and raise awareness of security, and also make the business see that security isn't IT's issue to fix with rules about passwords :)

Hope that helps but feel free to DM me if you've got questions,

Claire
  • Options
    ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
  • Options
    lanlan10lanlan10 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, i recently passed the itil v3 foundation and planning to take the next step. i work as a servidesk and lead as well as we are only 3 servicedesk in the company. i support users with our application software and applications. what would be the best ITIL intermediate for me? im thinking about operation support and analaysis but im also considering the course SDA- servicedesk analyst but i think that course is not that popular and much better to stick with itil. please help me with your advice