Quotes

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
Came across this quote and really got me thinking about what I am trying to do with all this extra work studying for certs and new technology. I even got some mp3's of Jim Rohn and started listening. Curious of anyone else has some good quotes to keep you motivated.

"If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they may have planned for you? Not much."

-Jim Rohn
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have hundrads of quotes, some I post on my blog but I collect them in text files all the time :)

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
    Henry Ford

Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former.
    Albert Einstein

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.
    Mahatma Gandhi

When an elderly and distinguished scientist tells you that something is possible, he is very probably right. When he tells you that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
    Arthur C. Clarke

I could go on ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Came across this quote and really got me thinking about what I am trying to do with all this extra work studying for certs and new technology. I even got some mp3's of Jim Rohn and started listening. Curious of anyone else has some good quotes to keep you motivated.

"If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they may have planned for you? Not much."

-Jim Rohn

I thought for a moment you quoted Jim Rome. :)
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very true. When you have no direction (read plans) you are like a ship drifting on the wide ocean. You might get to land some day but probably not where you would like to be. Another important thing to remember is that there is no vacuum of decisions. They need to be made and either you make them or somebody else will make them for you.

If you are looking for another "motivational" book I would like to suggest "The 4 hour work week". I am just listening to this for the second time and it's awesome.

Two years ago I started writing (!) down my own plans, making a commitment to myself. It's not like these things can not be changed but I have a direction unless very good reasons to change it come up. In the next step I want to create a "vision board". To this I will attach pictures of places I want to travel, things I want to have, etc and put it into a place that I come by often. It's all in staying focused on your goals :)
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jim Rohn is in my signature, so I will be a little bit biased! But I've listened to his stuff several times now and I still pick up little things he says - he's concentrated common sense, more than anybody I've heard.

I never find single quotes motivate me in to action, interesting & wise yes, but I find listening to an audiobook or DVD works for me better. Looking at your plans every day does work though - get it to open in your startup so you don't have a choice but to look at it.

I would recommend Jim Rohn, Brian Tracy, Randy Pausch, Robert Kiyosaki (to a certain extent - but I still think the guy is a fraud albeit a successful one), Dale Carnegie, Dave Ramsey, Napoleon Hill, Stephen Covey. 'The Millionaire Next Door' is a good insight in to behavior but it gets a bit too detailed in statistics.

YouTube - Jim Rohn Quotes

I've attached a few simple notes taken from Brian Tracy audiobooks I've listened to - you might find it useful...

Brian Tracy - 21 Great Ways To Become A Sales Superstar.pdf
    Brian Tracy - 21 Success Secrets Of Self-Made Millionaires.pdf
    Brian Tracy - 21 Ways To Double Your Productivity.pdf
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    lordy wrote: »
    Very true. When you have no direction (read plans) you are like a ship drifting on the wide ocean. You might get to land some day but probably not where you would like to be. Another important thing to remember is that there is no vacuum of decisions. They need to be made and either you make them or somebody else will make them for you.

If you are looking for another "motivational" book I would like to suggest "The 4 hour work week". I am just listening to this for the second time and it's awesome.

Two years ago I started writing (!) down my own plans, making a commitment to myself. It's not like these things can not be changed but I have a direction unless very good reasons to change it come up. In the next step I want to create a "vision board". To this I will attach pictures of places I want to travel, things I want to have, etc and put it into a place that I come by often. It's all in staying focused on your goals :)

I agree "The 4 hour work week" is a great read/listen. I have been using a vision board for years, and it is amazing to see those dreams/visions come to fruition. I have read and listened to alot of material from Bob Proctor & Jack Canfield to name a few....and it has helped me to stay focused on my goals. Moreover, it has made me realize that "I can be, do, or have anything in life that I want"...I just have to stay focused on what I want.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Jim Rohn is in my signature, so I will be a little bit biased! But I've listened to his stuff several times now and I still pick up little things he says - he's concentrated common sense, more than anybody I've heard.

I never find single quotes motivate me in to action, interesting & wise yes, but I find listening to an audiobook or DVD works for me better. Looking at your plans every day does work though - get it to open in your startup so you don't have a choice but to look at it.

I would recommend Jim Rohn, Brian Tracy, Randy Pausch, Robert Kiyosaki (to a certain extent - but I still think the guy is a fraud albeit a successful one), Dale Carnegie, Dave Ramsey, Napoleon Hill, Stephen Covey. 'The Millionaire Next Door' is a good insight in to behavior but it gets a bit too detailed in statistics.

I've attached a few simple notes taken from Brian Tracy audiobooks I've listened to - you might find it useful...

That is a great list. I have material from all of them. I would also add Og Mandino.
    I found this quote I read several years ago to be humorous.."If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."....anonymous
  • Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    "Take Calculated Risks"

-GEN George S. Patton Jr.
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »

That is a great quote....you know the whole quote states "If you work harder on your job you will make a living, if you work harder ony ourself than you do on your job you'll make

Some of my favorite inspirational figures would be John Maxwell, John Wooden, Darren Hardy, Les Brown, Jim Ron, W.Clement Stone...just to name a few. There are countless quotes that speak volumes to me. Some of my favorites are

Success is when destiny and persistence meet - N.Holloway (yours trulyicon_wink.gif)

No Struggle, No Progress - Frederick Douglass

Everything you need for your better future and success has already been written. And guess what? Its all available - Jim Rohn

The rhythm of daily action aligned with your goals creates the momentum that seperates dreamers from supoer-achievers - Darren Hardy

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Mahatma Gandhi

Whatever you do, strive to do it so well that no man living and no mean dead and no man yet to be born could do it better - Benjamin E. Mays
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

Xcluziv wrote: »
    You know the whole quote states "If you work harder on your job you will make a living, if you work harder ony ourself than you do on your job you'll make
    Yeah he covers the same kind of things but said in a different way in different titles - so that's the one I've used but I heard it that way as well. You could probably just listen to one title and it would cover most of his points though.
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    John Maxwell, John Wooden, Darren Hardy, Les Brown, W.Clement Stone...
    Yeah John Maxwell is good stuff, forgot about him - will check those others out, thanks.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Procrastination:
    "It's amazing how long it takes to complete something we're not working on." -R.D.Clyde

Motivation:
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Einstein

Other:
    "A handsome young cyborg named Ace, wooed women at every base, but once ladies glanced at his special enhancement, they vanished with nary a trace." - Alpha Centauri

"I'm getting so absent-minded and forgetful. Sometimes in the middle of a sentence, I . . . " - Milton Berle
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread."
    -King David (Psalm 37:25)
    God deserves my best
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    "Desire backed by faith knows no such word as impossible" -Napoleon Hill

"It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." -William Ernest Henley
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness