Options

Digi CM32 console server

Comments

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh, there's a package on my front step. I wonder what it is!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it's in a brown box, then it's probably content not safe for work.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Can't connect to it. SOB

Time to hit the manual. I have a cable hooked up from my laptop to the console port on the digi but nothing is happening when I try to access it.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Can't connect to it. SOB

Time to hit the manual. I have a cable hooked up from my laptop to the console port on the digi but nothing is happening when I try to access it.

Use ethernet port and try the default ip address (in the manual) OR you have to use cat5 + 9pin to rj45 adapter, Cisco console cable won't work.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Yeah I was reading that the cisco console didn't work so I didn't even try lol. Manual I have pulled up is from the internet, mine never came with it.
  • Options
    Yeah I was reading that the cisco console didn't work so I didn't even try lol. Manual I have pulled up is from the internet, mine never came with it.

Yep same here :) You can change the ip to whatever you want to match your lab environment or whatnot.
  • Options
    It doesn't have to be connected to my home router does it?

Telnet won't budge. I might run out and grab that adapter.

I ALWAYS forget to troubleshoot stuff on the first layer. I have been using a straight through cable this entire time. I'll wait till my crimpers come in tomorrow and make a rollover.
  • Options
    LOWES of Home Depot have crimpers. Atleast, I picked mine up from LOWES.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    I ordered one over the weekend and it will be here tomorrow.

Monoprice, 7 bucks, great reviews. The lowes here has one for 40, and that's the cheapest.
  • Options
    I went to Fry's and got a 9pin to rj45 adapter (the one where the wires aren't connected on the serial end, and you have to solder them) for $2.99 and pulled out my soldering station, few minutes later (pdf has the pin-outs needed) and I had console access ;) No crimpers needed.
  • Options
    hmm, mine weren't 40 bucks when I picked them up. It's been sometime though.

• Options
    Never touched a soldering iron haha. When it comes to tools, I'm currently building my "database" of them.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want to connect directly to the Ethernet port with a cable from a desktop/laptop, you that cable has to be a RJ-45 crossover cable. That is how I was able to connect initially. You have to do the factory reset on it, and then make sure your desktop/laptop has the NIC card set manually to an ip address on the same subnet as the the default IP of the DiGi CM32. Once you do that, connect to the default IP of the DiGi CM32 with a web browser (https://192.168.161.5). From there you should be able to login with the default user/password combo, and change the settings.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    Can you link me to the manual you used?

Something is not right here and it's really annoying me. I just made a crossover cable and I have no idea why it's not working. No idea how to connect it. I've read this manual 4 thousand times over and still nothing.
  • Options
    Put the nic of your laptop/desktop on the same subnet as the cm32.. the pdf is on the digi site :)
  • Options
    Also make sure you did the factory reset.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just made a crossover cable and I have no idea why it's not working.
    What pin-out did you use? Did you make sure that all the individual cables were pushed in all the way? I've had my experience in cabling, and this can happen time to time.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    What pin-out did you use?

I used a cable tester and it worked properly. Everything was ok as far as that went.

568a to 568b

ALRIGHT! I got access via telnet.
    I found a different manual and it told me where the reset button was. I was under the impressions that you had to get into the console to do that.

See, I knew I had the wrong manual.
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    I don't recall using a crossover cable when I connected to mine. Normal patch (straight) cable between my laptop's NIC and the ethernet port next to the console port on the front.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    ^^ what he said - also, you might want to check your NIC IP and subnet mask. Make sure it's in the same range.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    spd3432 wrote: »
    I don't recall using a crossover cable when I connected to mine. Normal patch (straight) cable between my laptop's NIC and the ethernet port next to the console port on the front.

This is just for initial setup. The Ethernet port is just like a NIC on a host, and when you connect two hosts, you use a crossover cable. I couldn't get any connectivity from my laptop directly connected to the CM32 until I connected with a crossover.
  • Options
    I'm in.

MY first problem I had was the fact that I was using a straight through, to the console. I don't know why, I had a brain fart. Then I made a crossover and connected it to the ethernet port next to the console port. Nothing happened, and I know the cable was properly made (my first cable I made, on top of that, ever lol). I remembered the colors from the book.

THEN I was reading a different manual, so I searched for another and there it was, a RESET button on the console server, which I missed.
    I quickly changed my IP address on my laptops NIC while the server was resetting.

VOILA
    Everything works now.
  • Options
    Excellent - glad to hear it.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    What's the default username and password?

BAH, just kidding. I should go buy device in the first manual I was reading, I should be an expert at it now.
  • Options
    Awesome! Wait till you start messing with all of the features...
  • Options
    reducthebeatreducthebeat Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, I have a question about my NIC card which is connected to a DIGICM. I'm still a newbie to networking so forgive me, the answer is probably really simple. I have gotten into the https:// page of the digicm before but now it isn't working anymore, its just Windows XP keeps telling me to "flush the ARP cache", what is that? Well, I have logged into this DIgiCM32 before and made some configuration changes to the default gateway which is when everything started going wrong... the NIC card is saying the machine is still connected but I couldnt access the web gui anymore so I reset the DigiCM32 to factory default... dang thing will not let me find the https web gui though and the Network Status is still "Connected". when I arp -a in CMD line NOTHING shows up! OMG what is wrong??? I feel I tried everything I could on both ends to Access the Digi CM32, including flushing arp! Please advise! Oh, and I may have set a static route in cmd line too but I already flushed that! Please advise!
    Thanks!
  • Options
    reducthebeatreducthebeat Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the worst thing about it is I don't think the NIC settings are tied to Windows so I can't just System Restore... none of my restore points have gotten the DIGICM GUI to come up.
  • Options
    D-tunedD-tuned Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    Nope, I've contacted Digi Support and they said there are no updates available for these at all. I tried compiling updated pcmcia card manager for these but there is basically no room for anything else on the box.

I was pleasantly surprised DIGI looked at the issues I was having and provided some support even though it's out of warranty and all.

Yours too most likely will arrive w/o drivers loaded for the pcmcia cards, look at my other thread with steps on getting them on there if you want to try the short list of cards it supports.

You can add a wep2 etc AP and just have it connect to it using ethernet port :)

did you ever find a wifi card that worked?
  • Options
    Yeah, I think I've posted that it's very specific to a few cards and even then they only support WEP. Use an external AP or wireless bridge and not an old pcmcia wep card.
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you really need wireless why not just buy an access point or old router? I'm using an old Linksys WRT54G as an access point to connect my lab equipment, (with a Digi CM32 console server in the mix), with my home's wireless network. Just plug the Digi CM into one of the ports of the router/access point and you're good to go.