Options

Just failed my net + exam boy was i bummed..

gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
hey guys,

first post here. I took the oo5 this past thursday. I was really nervous when before and during the test. But once i saw the test i was like wow I could pass this. I just a bit mad at myself as i went back and second guessed some questions and that's why i think i missed it.. But im very confident ill pass it the 2nd time.. Been in the field for 10 years Ive always been a bad cert taker tho.. icon_redface.gif
WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.

Comments

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that gdeusthewhizkid. Was there any particular area of weakness?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    basically i had a hard time remembering wireless specifications, routing protocols and cable specifications. I know im going to do well 2nd time around.. Been really hitting the books since i know now where im weak at..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:

• Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't care what anyone says about CompTIA cert exams, but I for one believe the Net+ exam is perhaps the hardest of all! I also thought I had failed it, I only studied for two weeks with very little or no networking experience. Never give up, I am glad you are going to sit it again, things like: ports, protocols, wiring standards, networking tools <netstat, ARP, ipconfig, ifconfig <UNIX> tracert/traceroute <traceroute is UNIX>, ping, nslookup, etc. Also know RAID levels, cabling types, lenghts, speeds etc.

Firewall basics, VPNs, the OSI <know like the back of your hand> and also what protocols work at what layers. IP addressing (even though it is all CIDR these days) the Net+ still seems to have a focus in the old fashioned class system. I'll inlcude my page I had hanging on the outside of my shower for IP addressing - (it helped me!).

IP Addressing.pdf

Anyway Mate, best of luck, I am sure you will blitz it this time round, and go with your gut instink, if you do not know the answer.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    quinnyfly wrote: »
    I don't care what anyone says about CompTIA cert exams, but I for one believe the Net+ exam is perhaps the hardest of all! I also thought I had failed it, I only studied for two weeks with very little or no networking experience. Never give up, I am glad you are going to sit it again, things like: ports, protocols, wiring standards, networking tools <netstat, ARP, ipconfig, ifconfig <UNIX> tracert/traceroute <traceroute is UNIX>, ping, nslookup, etc. Also know RAID levels, cabling types, lenghts, speeds etc.

Firewall basics, VPNs, the OSI <know like the back of your hand> and also what protocols work at what layers. IP addressing (even though it is all CIDR these days) the Net+ still seems to have a focus in the old fashioned class system. I'll inlcude my page I had hanging on the outside of my shower for IP addressing - (it helped me!).

IP Addressing.pdf

Anyway Mate, best of luck, I am sure you will blitz it this time round, and go with your gut instink, if you do not know the answer.

thanks man.. I got a 697. now that i know my weakness im just gonna brush up on them for a few weeks and go in and knock it out..

• Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good on ya Mate, I like your spirit. I must admit I have not failed one yet, but sure as the sheeps short and curlies, if I ever did, I would be devastated. I reckon you gain strenght from failure, but where certs are concerned, there is no such a thing as "failed"...just a dry run in my book.

You will no doubt come out far stronger with a greater depth of knowledge, very strong on topics and concepts, that is the kind of thing that makes you a well rounded and respected IT technician.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    thanks man... appreciate the kind words.. yes you gain strength from failures..

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree you do gain strength from failures.

I've failed 4 certification exams in my life. I think I have taken more away from those failed exams than all my passes. It's kind of weird like that.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey... don't give up so; pick yourself up and get back to studying. You can brush on the areas where you're weak and reschedule asap so; the material is fresh in the system. I passed on the first try but, I was working in the field already and I had the basic foundation down; you'll get it the next time around!
  • Options
    Im 1 out 10 on cert exams guys. Trust me I dont give up but im frustrated like hell. But without certifications you can't get promoted in my company or get a better position in IT from what ive witnessed. I just get anxiety when i take these tests or something... But i need certs for advancement it is frustrating tho to fail them..

• Options
    andremcullinsandremcullins Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    now I'm nervous. i take network+ on thursday. I'm going to focus on those protocols, cabling and wireless specs. this is my first certification.
  • Options
    now I'm nervous. i take network+ on thursday. I'm going to focus on those protocols, cabling and wireless specs. this is my first certification.
    those are heavy on the test. routing protocols cable specifications and wireless differences..

• Options
    what wireless specs? i need an example...
  • Options
    minidanielsminidaniels Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is frustrating but im glad your sticking at it! Its a tough one, good luck on your next attempt! :P
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□

http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Exam_Objectives/CompTIA_Network_N10-005.sflb.ashx
    2.2 Given a scenario, install and configure a wireless network.
    - WAP placement
    - Antenna types
    - Interference
    - Frequencies
    - Channels
    - Wireless standards
    - SSID (enable/disable)
    - Compatibility (802.11 a/b/g/n)
    2.4 Given a scenario, troubleshoot common wireless problems.
    - Interference
    - Signal strength
    - Configurations
    - Incompatibilities
    - Incorrect channel
    - Latency
    - Encryption type
    - Bounce
    - SSID mismatch
    - Incorrect switch placement
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't give up. We got your back!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gdeusthewhizkid

The next time you'll have better luck. I'm sure you'll pass, run over again professor messer videos, they are great help. and next time just nail it.
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    PetrinodaPetrinoda Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know if this will help or if you've already tried it but there's a visual certexam suite out there where you can download VCE files. It's been very helpful to me so far. I take the test either this week or next. I'll let you guys know how I do.
  • Options
    the differences between wireless 802.11a & b and n. the frequencies. differences between wireless securities..

• Options
    It is frustrating but im glad your sticking at it! Its a tough one, good luck on your next attempt! :P
    i see you got the 680 cert too.. how tough was that?

• Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378

You shouldn't study for a cert test based off of someone else's results, because it comes from a random bank of questions. Yes, protocols, cabling and wireless are all very important, but you still have to understand every domain. For example, I studied like crazy on fiber optic standards, connectors, lengths, etc. because I read some posts where people have gotten more than 5 questions in that area. Well, on my Net+ I got one question in that realm and dedicated hours of studying toward it. So basically what I am saying is that you might put all your time into protocols, cabling, and wireless, and that might only be about 4 or 5% of your total test. Make sure you know everything!
  • Options
    zrockstar wrote: »
    You shouldn't study for a cert test based off of someone else's results, because it comes from a random bank of questions. Yes, protocols, cabling and wireless are all very important, but you still have to understand every domain. For example, I studied like crazy on fiber optic standards, connectors, lengths, etc. because I read some posts where people have gotten more than 5 questions in that area. Well, on my Net+ I got one question in that realm and dedicated hours of studying toward it. So basically what I am saying is that you might put all your time into protocols, cabling, and wireless, and that might only be about 4 or 5% of your total test. Make sure you know everything!

he's right i feel like these tests are adaptive. wherever they see you weak at they hit you on it. Well for me it was network tools cabling. and wireless security. I do networking everyday and some of these principles I would never do in real life but oh well...

• Options
    ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass this time. Now you know where you need to focus your studying on and you'll ace it next time. Good luck! icon_thumright.gif
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    thanks guys. I am struggling with incorrect IP addresses. and CIDR.
  • Options
    ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    CIDR is tricky, but once it clicks, it makes so much more sense.

Eli the Computer Guy explains subnetting in this video:
    TCP/IP and Subnet Masking - YouTube

Fast Forward to minute mark 43:00 if you don't want to watch the entire video.

Here are a few other videos that might help:
    How to calculate a TCPIP IPv4 subnet mask - YouTube
    Learn to Subnet the Easy Way - YouTube

Good luck! icon_study.gif
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Don't give up man! Reschedule it 60 days from now.

Check out Darril Gibson's practice questions for this test -- great resource! Use the study notes from here, and you will pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Don't give up man! Reschedule it 60 days from now.

Check out Darril Gibson's practice questions for this test -- great resource! Use the study notes from here, and you will pass!

thanks man.. where do i find it? I doubt ill wait 60 days tho.. maybe in may late april...

• Options
    JubeiYagaruJubeiYagaru Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe too late....but I used this particular study guide to pass mine. Free CompTIA Network+ Study Guide by MC MCSE Helped tons.
  • Options
    Maybe too late....but I used this particular study guide to pass mine. Free CompTIA Network+ Study Guide by MC MCSE Helped tons.

thanks dude.. that's some great info.. Gonna print it out and keep it in my office on my downtime peruse it..

• Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks dude.. that's some great info.. Gonna print it out and keep it in my office on my downtime peruse it..

I saw this guide on this site and used it before it's a cool refresher. However, if you really know the material you'll be fine with this study guide.