Self-Study C|EH Online Training

itguy7itguy7 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I would like to purchase online training for preparation for C|EH v7.

Does anybody know some good online training options? I've looked at Infosec, trainACE and the EC councils own online course. I really want to make sure these will prepare me enough for the exam which is why i'm being picky. They are also expensive.

I'm looking for a package of books, videos, materials, VM's..whatever. Also i'm sure the videos will be online stream-only. So that's fine.

I plan on reading the books at work, then viewing the online videos at home plus the hands on at home as well. Streaming the videos online at work could eat bandwidth and show an alert which is why i'll be doing that at home.

So does anyone have any successful and good experiences with any online course materials for this exam? Please let me know. Thanks!!

Comments

• dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    itguy7 wrote: »
    Hi, I would like to purchase online training for preparation for C|EH v7.

Does anybody know some good online training options? I've looked at Infosec, trainACE and the EC councils own online course. I really want to make sure these will prepare me enough for the exam which is why i'm being picky. They are also expensive.

I'm looking for a package of books, videos, materials, VM's..whatever. Also i'm sure the videos will be online stream-only. So that's fine.

I plan on reading the books at work, then viewing the online videos at home plus the hands on at home as well. Streaming the videos online at work could eat bandwidth and show an alert which is why i'll be doing that at home.

So does anyone have any successful and good experiences with any online course materials for this exam? Please let me know. Thanks!!

If you're looking for training options, you can try these:
    UMBC Training Centers: Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) Certification | UMBC Training Centers
    Global Knowledge: Cybersecurity Certified Ethical Hacker v7 at Global Knowledge
    Learning Tree: CEH: Certified Ethical Hacker - Course 2031

I think the Global Knowledge and Learning Tree courses are in person only... you'll have to double check. UMBC Training Centers offers both online and in-person versions of the CEH course.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    What really helped me, was the all in one book by Matt Walker (with the practice questions on the cd) and watching the CBT Nuggets videos. The key is try not to use too much material as it can be pretty overwhelming. The EC Council slides are nice also. There was another post in this category with someone listing the things to pay attn to and they were right especially if you have taken the security +. Honestly, the exam isn't too difficult if you prepare for it. Check this thread.

Here are some charts I made as well. I have attached a blank one too so that you can fill them out by memory.

charts-blank.pdf

charts.pdf
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I heard the CBTNuggets CEH course is overpriced and it does not go in depth on anything...
  • Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    I guess that depends on who views it. One thing may work for someone whereas for another it won't. Honestly, to me I felt that the test really isn't that in depth either. To me it seemed general with a mix of logical deduction (not to say that it wasn't challenging). CBT may seem overpriced for some however the videos cover a good portion of what needs to be learned to pass the exam. It contained most of what you would find in the AIO book and Instructor Slides.

So it just depends on study habit I guess. That's just what worked for me.

I think if anyone wants in depth & gain retention, labbing is the way to go if you have the time.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    @dmoore44
    I am really interested on taking this cert. I also bought a new laptop just for my CEH study. I am using the All-In-One Guide CEH by Matthew Walker. I pretty much have read 30% of it in two days. I might go over it again once I receive my CEH laptop. I am hoping that I can run multiple VMs in Backtrack, but we will once I receive it next week.

About the UMBC, do you have any feedback about how they teach their students? It seems like they have a branch in Rockville. The reason I have to take the course is that they EC requirements to have two years of experience in security or take the course.
    I might take the iClass and be done with it.
    I also found this CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Boot Camp Training Rockville MD which us $1000 more compare to UMBC.

I am also studying CWNA and ROUTE.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I bought the v7 courseware on eBay and was sadly disappointed. The person I bought it from went to the training bootcamp and also was not impressed. I read through the entirety of vol 1 and then sold it before getting to volume 2. The AIO guide is much better, but I really don't value this certification anymore, especially for a $500 exam. It really doesn't seem to get deep enough into any of the applications to be of any use. I think a better name for the cert would be Script Kiddiez 101: How To Be A Real Hacker.

The more I learn about EC-Council, the less I think of them. Their latest venture of a Master's degree has got to be the most laughable: www.eccuni.us
    They didn't even bother to register a .edu domain. Since it is brand new, it isn't accredited. You have to have graduates before you can get accredited, which seems a little ridiculous. I think the worst part is the $60k price tag.

Anywho, HR has a value in the cert, so we have to follow suit, or else fight a tough, uphill battle. If I ever do nonself-study training, I would most likely try Intense School because they teach to the level of the CPT exam from IACRB I have researched quite a few offerings and even talked to person at Intense School to get a quote and ask a few questions. I haven't bit the bullet yet, but if my employer ever offered to pay, that's who I would chose.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Agent47 wrote: »
    What really helped me, was the all in one book by Matt Walker (with the practice questions on the cd)

^^^ This!!! The CEH exam (or any EC-Council exam for that matter) is not difficult enough to warrant spending thousands on a course. I made the mistake of spending $1600 on a course and I seriously regret it. Be familiar with the concepts in the book. Really, you don't even need hands on for this test, just theory. About the only questions I can think of that related to hands on knowledge, were nmap commands. If you want to work with some of the software, just spend $200 on a technet subscription, download virtualbox and make your own lab.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CBT Nuggets definitely over hyped their course and I believe it was only for version 5. In all honesty, you could really get the all in one guide and save yourself a couple hundred bucks.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff