Please critique my resume

phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
.2012 - Resume - Ctitique.doc
Thank you in advance

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not a bad resume but here's how you can make it better:

1. Get rid of those logos, tacky IMO and waste space. You can easily fit your resume into one page and make that one page worth calling you to an interview for.

2. The professional skills are kinda funny. Curious? A HR dude may go - What does that mean, do you go rifling through people's drawers to see what's in them? Either delete this section or put in keywords that may get your resume picked from the pile, words like Active Directory, MS Office, you get the idea?

3. It seems like the third bullet in every experience is just some buzzwords thrown in. You have SAN, MAC and PC in the same sentence!! You sure you know what a SAN is? A discerning interviewer is sure to pick such things up and take you for a spin.

4. IMO, it seems you are going backwards as the years are progressing, you did SAN and AD support in your first jobs and then appear to have been relegated to doing Helpdesk support taking calls from all over the country. You need to reword your resume and choose the keywords with care.

5. Move the certs up right and club them together with Education. I dislike the phrase, Expected Certifications. I could write - CCIE: Wireless or you know VCDX or something. You have 6 expected certs? That's like 2 years worth of study! Have one cert (or maybe two, max) with the words - In progress at the end. I have VCP 5 - In progress on me resume, only because I am enrolled in the required training course and want/need/desire to complete the cert in 2 months or so.

I may have come across a bit harsh, but a resume is not about chucking in lots of big words when all you may have done with a SAN is look at it, but about showcasing your actual experience and skills. Dont go about writing big words in there if you cannot talk on the topics for more than a few minutes. Like I said before, if you cannot back up those big words with answers to the questions the interviewer is likely to fling at ya, dont put them in there.

Hope this helps.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Okay, better than before with all the fluff gone. I also recommend you put a little more meat on the bones and put in a couple of sentences per bullet (or maybe 2 bullets per job), this might just give the prospective employer more food for thought to bring you in for an interview. Decrease the margins, change the font and you should still be able to keep it to one page.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    like other poeple have said..
    Maybe a summary paragraph for each position
    bullets any accomplishment
    take out the certification dates IMO
    looks good otherwise
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    Thanks for your reviews
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I think the first version is gone so I'm not sure if you cut off too much.

Spelling:
    - Blackberry: second B should be cap
    - Groupwise: W should be cap (man, on my end the spell checker identified it as a possible mistake and gave me the right name as an alternative)
    - Console One: shouldn't have a space
    - "Responsible os technology" ???
    - I find extremely odd that you mention iOS, Entourage, etc. and never mention Apple. May help with the automated filters.
    - Same as above with Microsoft. "Office suite" could be anything such as OpenOffice.

Finally and most important, I want to know what YOU did. Remember, anyone can work with any given technology. I want to know how YOU made a difference, how your contribution brought value. Not a fan of a laundry list of generic duties.
  • yazan84yazan84 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im sorry this is probably off topic, but how did you upload/attach in .doc format?!

I tried to upload mine, but it keeps telling me invalid format :\
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    phaneuf1 wrote: »

I pesonally am not a fan of intro paragraphs. When I read a resume, I want the important stuff at the top because I have a few hundred to read through. That paragraph tells me nothing I need to know in regards to making a hiring decision. That stuff is better suited to a cover letter.

Split your certs into two lines. If I didn't know anything about IT I would read that as your A+ being issued by CIW. Correction in bold.

I understand that english is not your primary language but if your resume is in english, it should be gramatically correct. In your first bullet point on the first job it should say "clearly documented all calls in detail". Your tense and plural is off.

I would reword the third point to something like "worked with remote small business users to resolve network connectivity issues related to citrix, vpn, and rsa security tokens."

1st point second job:
    "Provided 1st level technical support to business customers and external clients with detailed documentation in both french and english" sound better.

Third job:
    "Filled up inventory of the whole building from scratch" doesn't tell me anything. You filled the building up with what? Ballons? Styrofoam peanuts?

"maintaned and troubleshoot the servers" is also gramatically incorrect. Your tenses are mixed.

Have to head to the gym. maybe more later.
  • phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    Thank you... You know why I like to put an intro? because the employer can check the resume from the language section, and then if he likes what he sees, then he can check the intro and learn a little more about me. Of course I'll include a cover letter as well but as you said, they don't always have the time to read it. That's why, when you have the place, it's good to put an small intro.