Options

Could someone critique my resume please?

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
I haven't been getting very many bites so I was hoping for some feed back, thanks in advance.
sample resume.doc

Just realized that, when downloaded, the hyperlink puts up a security flag in word which is probably a no go for a hiring IT manager. Should I just remove it all together?
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Not sure why you chose to omit your name from the resume- your QR code links us to.. an online resume with your name on it?

Just my opinion, drop the QR code. While it does stand out, I really don't feel the content on the online resume have anything to add to the table. All of that is already said in your actual resume.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Drop the QR code! won't lie, as soon as I saw it I rolled my eyes.

Fit it all in one page. This can easily be done by removing the fluff (full sentences under Certifications, Work History, the precurser to the bullet points under Skills) and converting to bullet points. For the most part it seems like you are just filling up room to make it to two pages without having any justification for having a two page resume.

Firewall is also misspelled under Administration and Security.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Few observations:

- Yep, QR code has to go
    - One thing that bugs me immensely is how many sentences start with "I"
    - The overall tone of the resume sounds too personal
    - Although I wouldn't use this term, "snapin" should be hyphenated
    - "Bitlocker"" should have a capital L.

My biggest issue is with experience. It presents things that basically anyone can do. You need to show me what specific things you did to solve specific problems. This is about standing out form every other tech out there. Again, your verbiage doesn't do this. Ideally you would present tangible examples such as "performed X upgrade or maintenance resulting in X increase in whatever". When you say you have "solved numerous different types of issues related to networking..." that is where you present what you have done and the impact your solution had. In the FOP job you said "duties included making cold calls in an attempt to raise donations". Due to the way you present it my impression is that you didn't raise anything. Is this correct?
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok, back to the drawing board it is, sounds like I need to just re-write my resume from the ground up.

Thanks for the input guys.
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1 from cyberguypr.
    I would also expound on your management experience. It would show that you can lead a team with success.