Options

[Insert witty comment for another resume critique here]

So I couldn't come up with a witty comment for another resume critique thread, but here it is anyways. Been poking around so far, but just want to make sure my resume is in good shape.

Go ahead and give me your worst!

Blank_Resume.doc
MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Here are my feedback:

1. I don't like the format, but it could get better with a few tweaks.
    2. Instead of Network/Systems Administrator on the top, put down Summary. That should be your summary.
    3. Don't repeat the certs under technical experience. Remove it since you already listed it, and I think you should do something about that section. Maybe move it to the bottom and reformat the heading to match the rest of them, which will cover up some whitespace you have.
    4. Don't explicitly list your previous jobs as "temporary." They can figure that out by looking at the date.
    5. Remove the sub-heading, "Key Achievement" under each job. The bullet points implied that.
    6. Remove the header/footer section. Move the header on your first page and paste it in the same area. You may need to adjust the page margins.

That's all I have for you now, but I haven't checked your writing. The format threw me off, and I would probably just throw this resume in the bin if I was the hiring manager. I'm suppose to be packing right now for my trip tomorrow. I'm leaving early tomorrow morning, so I better get off, lol.
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    I'd also try and get the temp job 2 all on one page instead of having the name and description broken up like it is.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    @lantech Ya that is bad editing to post here. My real one it is correctly together on one page. Always good to remind me to double check that.

@hiddenknight

1. That format is actually one that has been posted here before that was really liked a while back. What specifically do you not like about it?
    2. Ya, I NEED to put a summary there, already have a couple different drafts in progress I may post. For the most part I usually try and edit something in that goes along with the job posting, so I guess its more of a place holder. Though getting rid of the Network/Systems Administrator in general will be better.
    3. Again that was something that a lot said to do on here. Gives hiring managers a quick recap of certs with more detail down below.
    4. I have gotten comments both way with that. Some like to see (Temporary) some don't.
    5. Good point. Though they do help remove white space :)
    6. I had originally condensed the page 2 header down as I needed the space. I have since removed a lot of the fluff from old jobs that aren't really relevant to IT (when I was doing HVAC Design/CAD primarily).

Anyone else have any thoughts, idears, comments etc? I want to rewrite my job description for my current job, just having a hard time getting something I like. Basically I am a J.O.A.T. here at work so handle everything. I do have the IT Director and Application/Database Admin (he handles SQL databases and main L.O.B. application). They both assist in basic helpdesk stuff too. Otherwise everything else is on me.

I will have to post a few revisions to have someone take a look at.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration