Options

ITIL expert online training centers

MoodiMoodi Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Members,

I passed my ITIL foundation V3 in 2009 and am back to pursue my ITIL expert certification as i feel its creating a trend these days in the market ,many employers are asking for it.

I have done reasonable research to find online training ,i came across many of them and even contacted them individually via email or skype ,it seems that the most reputable (and expensive) are ITSM web solutions and ITIL training zone ,they are offering a price of 2000 $ for a whole expert bundle (intermediate + MALC execluding exams and books)

After that i came across a cheap provider (mountain view ) that offers all the above courses for a cheap price of 400$!

i am not willing to sacrifice value for the cheapest service ,do you have any idea about a good online provider that has value for money?

Moodi

Comments

• Options
    sdeskssdesks Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Moodi,

Looks like the market is split into three segments....

1. high end high quality video training suppliers (itsm solutions or as you called them itsm web solutions, ITIL Prime, fox itsm, Cisco, purple griffon)
    2. hign end high quality elearning (itil training zone)
    3. low end voice over powerpoint suppliers (mountainview, art of service, Pultorek)

Will they all train you - YES
    Will some (low end solutions) require more effort (reading, supplamental documentation etc.) on your part- YES

Hope this helps

Moodi wrote: »
    Hello Members,

I passed my ITIL foundation V3 in 2009 and am back to pursue my ITIL expert certification as i feel its creating a trend these days in the market ,many employers are asking for it.

I have done reasonable research to find online training ,i came across many of them and even contacted them individually via email or skype ,it seems that the most reputable (and expensive) are ITSM web solutions and ITIL training zone ,they are offering a price of 2000 $ for a whole expert bundle (intermediate + MALC execluding exams and books)

After that i came across a cheap provider (mountain view ) that offers all the above courses for a cheap price of 400$!

i am not willing to sacrifice value for the cheapest service ,do you have any idea about a good online provider that has value for money?

Moodi
  • Options
    thanks for the reply sdesks ,I have communicated with few providers ,some you mentioned to me for the first time and here are the results so everybody gets the benefits:

*Pultorek is good and cost effective but the material provided is boring and not very clear,human voice is reading slides with out animation or illustration ,not on my list anymore.
    * the art of service are as expensive as any first class provider like ITSM or ITIL training zone ,so its off my list immediately.
    * mountain view is the cheapest provider in the market ,however they provide the cheapest service as well ,employees inside this company are "cheap" and have nothing to do with ITIL.
    *gogo training seems to be a good compromise of price and value ,the quality of vidoes and slides are reasonable and clear ,however ,customer service employees are giving me contradicted information ,besides their capability courses are not yet complete.

the above results are very frustrating for me so far ,i couldn't find -yet- a professional provider that supplies consistent information to the customer (like accreditation :some providers claimed they r accredited by exin and i figured out they were not!).

still researching!.... not sure when i ll get bored of this mess and stop studying ITIL!
  • Options
    could any one advise which module of the capability stream to start with?
    I have 9 yaers full time experience most of it is technical and hands on but i also hold a master of IT management and PMP ,some are saying i should start with OSA and some are saying it doesn't matter , any idea?
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    OSA or SO
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    the provider i am trying to take my training with (gogo training) doesn't have OSA ready yet ,shall i take SO instead and then continue my other capability courses (RCV,PPO,SOA) ? or would mixing be distracting and useless?
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Moodi

The main difference between the capability and lifecycle courses is that the capability courses go into more detail on process activities, and the lifecycle courses focus on process management and implementation.

It won't be a problem taking SO if you have access to the SO core volume as well - you can read about the process activities and make sure you have a good general understanding as well as your qualification.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    Claire what u think of the bundle i selected above? are they consistent? would i find any problem studying them in the above sequence?
    what u think of mixing both streams?

they satisfy the credit hours though.

Hi Moodi

The main difference between the capability and lifecycle courses is that the capability courses go into more detail on process activities, and the lifecycle courses focus on process management and implementation.

It won't be a problem taking SO if you have access to the SO core volume as well - you can read about the process activities and make sure you have a good general understanding as well as your qualification.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    Hi Moodi

The only area of the lifecycle that isn't covered in the bundle you've outlined is CSI. You may find when you get to Managing Across the Lifecycle that you need to do some reading in the CSI core volume to increase your knowledge.

There isn't an overlap problem with the courses so that's good (for example if you did SO and OSA you would cover lots of material twice) and the order looks fine.

Good luck with your studies!

Claire
  • Options
    does any 1 knows where to get ebooks of the new ITIL 2011 intermediate?
    i prefer free versions :)
  • Options
    manishomanisho Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,

I just passed the ITIL 2011 foundation and am planning for intermediate RCV.

Please recommend some good books for the same.

Is it sufficient to read below book (apart from accredited training) to pass the exam ?
    [h=1]ITIL Service Operation - Book (Author: Cabinet Office Publisher: TSO The Stationery Office/ ISBN 9780113313075)[/h]Thanks,
    Manish.
  • Options
    Hi Manish

I've answered your question in the other thread you posted in - if you've got any follow up questions please let me know.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    vivek441vivek441 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Moodi wrote: »
    thanks for the reply sdesks ,I have communicated with few providers ,some you mentioned to me for the first time and here are the results so everybody gets the benefits:

*Pultorek is good and cost effective but the material provided is boring and not very clear,human voice is reading slides with out animation or illustration ,not on my list anymore.
    * the art of service are as expensive as any first class provider like ITSM or ITIL training zone ,so its off my list immediately.
    * mountain view is the cheapest provider in the market ,however they provide the cheapest service as well ,employees inside this company are "cheap" and have nothing to do with ITIL.
    *gogo training seems to be a good compromise of price and value ,the quality of vidoes and slides are reasonable and clear ,however ,customer service employees are giving me contradicted information ,besides their capability courses are not yet complete.

the above results are very frustrating for me so far ,i couldn't find -yet- a professional provider that supplies consistent information to the customer (like accreditation :some providers claimed they r accredited by exin and i figured out they were not!).

still researching!.... not sure when i ll get bored of this mess and stop studying ITIL!

Hi M -

Good post. I totally agree with you! Rather than studying the ITIL course, I am studying the ITIL service providers which has been interesting and time consuming!

I have had a difficult time researching the ITIL training providers myself. As the materials are not out for public consumption there is very little fact at hand for anyone to make any decision which is one better than the other except from a cost perspective.

I have invested quite a bit of time researching ITIL service providers which could have been invested in getting in passing an ITIL intermediate exam by now. The ITIL service provider is quite fragmented and so far I have derived one conclusion. All are the same and meet the minimum requirement set by OGC/ the differentiation is only on the cost part. Irregardless of which provider one chooses the level of effort from the candidate's side may only vary from 5-10%. Some offer additional study aides which have the potential to provide candidate additional value. They key differentiator for me is the use of multimedia for e-learning. But there is very little what I see in this category,

So this is my plan:
    1. Choose one provider and go with him.
    2. Choice category to be based on lecture + Notes + exam prep guide/Quiz and teaching aide.
    3. Hope everything goes well after that.
    4. cost Differentiation in not good, especially when it comes to education. However higher costs does not guarantee future success.

And finally more importantly, think like an ITIL provider! What would you do if you were in their shoes. I think most of the answer lies when you start thing from the right brain.

Good luck, let me know which route you go. The key to ITIL Expert are the ITIL training providers and getting the right one is almost winning half of your battle.

Vivek
  • Options
    Hello Vivek,
    I was out of the country attending to a united nations exam ,now that i am back ,it seems like i must make a decision regarding OSA or SO ,i ll most likely go for gogo training ,i like their teaching style.