Options

Please review my resume - Network Engineer

wavewave Member Posts: 342
Hi all,

I'm about to start looking for a new job and would be grateful for some feedback on my resume. I've been working mostly as an IT generalist for the past four years but a reasonable chunk of my time has been spent on networking. Because I am seeking a Network Engineering role I have tuned my resume to focus on my skills and experience in that area.

Thank you all in advance!

TE-Review-Resume.pdfTE-Review-Resume.pdf

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Actually, it's not too bad at all. I like how you bullet point projects or implementations. I have no real complaints about it to be honest, it follows a very similar flow to how I write my CV

I like the technical proficiency section as well. Very good.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am not a critic, but I am guessing that your age is between 25 ~ 33. I am thinking that if your 25 it maybe ok to mention in the second line about when you were 15. If your closer to 30'sh I am thinking not to talk about age 15, unless it was a major patent, or invention, then you should list that also!

I am guessing that stuff about age 15 should be at the bottem of your resume with the Boy Scouts and work for my grandpa.

I could be wrong just my first thought.

OH yeah HR hasn't got a clue! I do not see your CCNA listed, HR could say well he doesn't even have a CCNA.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I disagree with taking out the thing about founding the company at 15. Its very impressive to me and it would definitely spark some interest if I was reading this.

I do agree to put your CCNA on there if this is your resume you are uploading to the job boards. Don't want to get passed up in a key word search.

Over all I think its pretty good resume. I would work on your sentence structure in the summary. They run on and do not read very easily.

I'd get rid of the technical proficiency section. Never been a big fan of these and it looks very amateurish to me. Its something a newbie would add to fill in space when they can't even fill a single page. At this point you have a lot of experience that should speak for itself. If you've worked with these technologies and want to highlight them then tell me how in your work experience section. Things like Ethernchannel isn't something I'd expect someone going for an engineering level role to have to point out as a technical proficiency.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I am not a critic, but I am guessing that your age is between 25 ~ 33. I am thinking that if your 25 it maybe ok to mention in the second line about when you were 15. If your closer to 30'sh I am thinking not to talk about age 15, unless it was a major patent, or invention, then you should list that also!

I am guessing that stuff about age 15 should be at the bottem of your resume with the Boy Scouts and work for my grandpa.

I could be wrong just my first thought.

OH yeah HR hasn't got a clue! I do not see your CCNA listed, HR could say well he doesn't even have a CCNA.

He has his CCNP listed..funny cause I didn't see the started a company at 15 bit. ha
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Thanks to all of you for your comments, I've taken everything on board and have made some changes.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP