Options

ITIL expert newbie

holunkingholunking Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi board,

I just joined the borad and I would like to be the ITIL expert. But I have some questions about on the ITIL expert exam. The questions as below.

1. How long does it require to study for ITIL expert?
2. What is the different between lifecycle modules and capabilities modules? Which module is easily?

icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Someone can expound on the second question; however, to obtain the intermediate and expert certifications, you are required to attend ITIL training before taking the corresponding exam. So, it would take around six weeks (ITIL Foundation self study then the ITIL intermediate and MALC course).

One Intermediate vendor's course I took was a week long. The other vendor's was three to four days.

The Intermediate and Expert exams are a lot more difficult and are only 8 Multiple choice scenario-based essay questions.
  • Options
    Someone can expound on the second question; however, to obtain the intermediate and expert certifications, you are required to attend ITIL training before taking the corresponding exam. So, it would take around six weeks (ITIL Foundation self study then the ITIL intermediate and MALC course).

One Intermediate vendor's course I took was a week long. The other vendor's was three to four days.

The Intermediate and Expert exams are a lot more difficult and are only 8 Multiple choice scenario-based essay questions.

Thank you for your information, I was passed foundation already, 8 MCs for each module? what is the passing rate for internmediate?
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Miss Claire is our resident ITIL expert. Finding out test passing rates is unrealistic. You just need to ensure you properly prepare yourself for each exam. Usually the course you take will do a decent to excellent job of doing so.

But you're looking at a size able investment since you would need to take and pass four intermediate exams and the MALC course.

If you look through this sub forum, you should find out the answer to your original second question. Miss Claire has answered it numerous times.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Let me try to answer your question as I have just gone through 2 of the Capability Modules already. The ITIL exams don't test for knowledge as much as how you apply the knowledge, this is the first hurdle. The exam has 8 questions/scenarios each having 4 options, you can select only 1. The answers are graded in 5 Marks for the best answer, 3 Marks for second best, 1 Mark for 3rd Best and 0 for the distractor. You need 28 out of 40 to pass the exam. In short Lifecycle is for Managers/Exec's and Capability is for people who actually work on the roles, both are equally difficult. Once you clear 5 Exams for Life Cycle or 4 Exams for Capability you are eligible for sitting in the MALC Exam. MALC is often considered to be the most difficult of the lot to clear.
    There are recommended hours of self study for each exam, I think 21 hours or so which doesnt even scratch the surface of the material. In my case I went back to Foundations to clear some concepts in between as well.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi holunking

Looks like you've been given some great information already - getting to ITIL Expert is a serious commitment and will require a lot of study on your behalf. If you take classroom training, you will be looking at 5-6 weeks worth of training (although I wouldn't recommend you take them back to back!). If you study online, you can allocate your time as you wish.

Delegates on our online Expert program have taken anything from 3 months to 2 years to acheive Expert status - it will depend on how much time you have to study, as well as how quickly you grasp the concepts.

WRT to your question about which is easier, Lifecycle or Capability - I would say neither. The Capability track would require you to take 4 courses at the Intermediate level before you approach Managing across the Lifecycle. The Lifecycle track requires 5 courses. However, the Capability courses cover a larger amount of content, so this track isn't necessarily easier.

Don't forget you can mix Lifecycle and Capability if you wish to get the best study path for you - check out the ITIL credit profiler: http://www.itil-officialsite.com/qualifications/creditprofiler.aspx

If you've got any questions, please let me know.

Claire
  • Options
    Thank you for your detail clarification for the ITIL expert question
  • Options
    atlex123atlex123 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have recently cleared ITIL® Expert certification. I'm having 8+ yrs of ITIL experience Can anybody discuss hows market doing for ITIL jobs around the world? Its defiantly good in India but which is other emerging foreign market for ITIL jobs say in next 2-5 years(for e.g. Europe,German,France,Italy, Australia or any other country) apart from India?