Options

Passed the GIAC G2700 Exam Today

2»

Comments

• Options
    putergodputergod Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't give myself enough quality time, but I started studying for it and the CHFI around Oct 10th and used almost every waking moment I had that wasn't spent at work on studying for those two exams. I took the CHFI on the 28th, and the G2700 on the 30th.
  • Options
    Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    Congratulations on the pass.

Like I said before, to each their own in regards to approach. However, I don't think that creating notes or the binder is "rather useless". The notes are not intended to be a resource to simply rely on for answering every question in the exam. This considering (and as I had mentioned before) the amount of time you have to answer each question. The purpose of the binder is to use as a study guide beforehand and use it as a quick reference if needed.

All in all the exam is challenging (really because of its vagueness) but can be done. It's just a matter of getting the right study materials together.
  • Options
    fastazzevofastazzevo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good morning all,I just started my 2700 with WGU and finally got to look at the Curriculum. Did you all read every one of those chapters? I don't think I can do it that way. I have dowloaded the editable "index" from WGU, and have printed out the standards.I think I will do well with the index and the book, but I do not think I can read all that SOOMO stuff. And if I could there is no way I remember all that. Some of those sections have 4 or 5 chapters.What should be my way ahead? I want to finish this test by mid-end jan.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This should help with the index... http://www.techexams.net/forums/sans-institute-giac-certifications/90363-thoughts-giac-2700-a.html#post758999 I focused on being very familiar with all of these topics, plus prior knowledge. I was glad I took the standards in, because while I knew what was in them, I didn't necessarily know the section number for a certain idea or concept.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    fastazzevofastazzevo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What is ya'll impression of the practice tests? Do you think they are similiar/harder/easier than the actual test.

I took my first practice test today. No notes, No research, No index and although I felt I just went with my gut/elimination on most I got passed with a close 70.76 with 15min left.

I cut and pasted all questions to try and find those in the materials I am studying through WGU, but so far its a needle in a haystack.
  • Options
    I'd say there are certain similarities. Whether its easier or harder hmm relative to the person taking it really. Personally, thought the actual exam was a little more difficult than the practice exams. Then again, i'm not in the field yet. Just don't try the process of your gut/elimination on the actual exam lol. Definitely save the last practice test until you are ready to take the actual one.
  • Options
    bathertonbatherton Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wanted to thank everyone who took time to post helpful information about the materials needed to pass the GIAC G2700. This site was most informative regarding the testing process and which notes should be taken into the testing center. In my experience with the test having the proper notes is invaluable to passing the exam. I agree with previous posters that having the actual ISO 27000 standards printed out is key to passing. I had two binders full of notes and I used them well. The test itself was not as hard as I thought it was going to be, however I would not have passed it without the correct notes organized in a way that made it easy to find information. I passed with an 82.6 on March 25th.
  • Options
    Congratulations!!
  • Options
    niadoniado Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed today. The exam was dramatically easier than I expected - I actually had this attempt scheduled without being prepared, expecting to have to retake in a month. My notes were only half complete, and I referred to them 4-5 times during the exam, only twice successfully. I took one of the official practice exams shortly before attempting the real exam, and as others have mentioned it was very similar to the actual exam in difficulty and types of questions. I scored 72% on the practice exam and 82% on the actual exam. Just have my capstone left for MSISA at WGU :)
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @niado Congratulations!!!

I have the GIAC G2700 exam and the Capstone left to finish my MSISA at WGUicon_lol.gif I am starting to study for the G2700 now. Do I just study the ISO 2005 standards? Do I have to be familiar with the 2013 standards?
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"