Passed ITIL 2011

PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
Used the $175 Thought Rock package http://thoughtrock.com/ and ITIL Foundation Exam Study Guide: Liz Gallacher, Helen Morris: 9781119942757: Amazon.com: Books

Went through 1/2 the training modules in the Thought Rock package, did practice tests from that book and Thought Rock and put all the concepts together. There's a lot of vocab memorization, but understanding the relations between everything as well.

Comments

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations! Do you have plans for any further ITIL study, or is Foundation enough for now?
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Not just yet. I'm not convinced right now further certification would have an immediate (or even near future) and relevant impact on my particular career development. Not to mention I paid for ITIL Foundations myself.
  • EasyMac308EasyMac308 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is it really worth it? I mean, my experience in ITIL shops (never been formally trained, though - that's happening later this month) could be summarized as:

- Everything is the Help Desk's problem.
    - When in doubt, blame the Help Desk.
    - Use common sense when updating systems, and document your work.

Is there really that much more to it than that?
    Currently Reading: A cereal box
    BS:IT student at WGU - 81/120 CU done as of 6/2016
    EasyMac308 wrote: »
    - Everything is the Help Desk's problem.
    - When in doubt, blame the Help Desk.
    - Use common sense when updating systems, and document your work.

ITIL actually has the concept of "process ownership". Blaming everything on the help desk actually goes against ITIL. Processes are supposed to have a manager (say the help desk manager) who has the responsibility of continually refining processes to align them more closely to the business needs.

Do a LinkedIn search for ITIL and look at the positions those people hold. (middle managers and upward, aka my goal) Honestly, after going through this certifications I feel I can compose much more intelligent sounding emails ;)
  • EasyMac308EasyMac308 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good deal; I didn't mean to imply it was a waste of *your* time, was genuinely curious. I'm not sure how much benefit it will have for me since I'm avoiding management as much as possible... :)
    Currently Reading: A cereal box
    BS:IT student at WGU - 81/120 CU done as of 6/2016
    EasyMac308 wrote: »
    Good deal; I didn't mean to imply it was a waste of *your* time, was genuinely curious. I'm not sure how much benefit it will have for me since I'm avoiding management as much as possible... :)

Not sure it would add too much value then yeah.

As I am directing myself right into management though... ;)
  • nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just started studying for this exam this week I have to have it for work and they are paying for it also... It is one of three exams that I need to complete in the next six months.