Options

Question About Intermediate Certifications

DJBlizzDJBlizz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I graduated from a university a few years ago, but haven't yet started getting certifications. Recently, my manager suggested I begin this process and I've decided to go for ITIL. I have a question regarding how the certification scheme works past the Foundation level. I am aware that for the higher-level certifications I need to complete appropriate training before actually taking the exam. Is it possible to complete training at a training organization licensed by one examination institute, but complete the actual exam under a different EI?

I'm currently in training for the Foundation certification at itSM Solutions, which is accredited under CSME, but I'm looking at other training providers for the intermediate certifications. For various reasons, I don't prefer webcam proctored exams and would much rather go to a testing facility. For testing using one of these facilities, CSME is the best option as they have a location minutes from my home.

I'm a bit new to certifications, so the question may seem a bit odd to those who have been at this a while.

Comments

• Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    It is possible to complete the training at a training organization but complete the exam from another Organization however, I will not recommend it as
    1. You need to keep sending the soft copy of the training transcript before booking each exam
    2. For the MALC you will provide proof of each Training and Certification
    3. You will not get the Certificate till they validate each training/Certification
    Seems like more trouble then really required and you will be better off with one provider. Apart from that I didnt see your experience in your profile so I can't comment on it however, the value of advanced ITIL certifications is usually after 6 years of experience in service Management
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    Six years? According to the Official ITIL site, it says for the intermediate levels in the ITIL Lifecycle Stream that two years of experience is suggested. I currently work in testing software for a service, so I was wanting to eventually take the Service Transition qualification. I imagine that, should I use two different EI's for Foundation and the ST qualification, I would need to provide the various certificates to the EI and the training organization to complete the training and exam. I'm aware it leads to additional paperwork, but it is good to know it can be done.
  • Options
    My suggestion is to start off with Foundation then see, it will give you an overview of ITIL. There is no hard and fast rule but my personal experience
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    UPDATE: I passed my Foundation exam with a 93% at Loyalist Certification Services. I was surprised, it was easier than I thought. Since I'm a software tester, I was looking at Service Transition next. I know the intermediate exams are different from the Foundation exam, but I'm not entirely sure as to how they are. How does the intermediate format compare to foundation?
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi DJ, congratulations! The Intermediate exams are a big step up from the Foundation exam. Each paper has 8 questions that have a scenario, a question and 4 possible answers. Of the 4 answers offered, 1 is worth 0 marks, 1 is worth 1 mark, 1 is worth 3 and 1 is worth 5 marks. As a software tester, it may be worth looking at the RCV syllabus too as that course goes into more detail on the processes including validation and testing. Claire
  • Options
    Not to scare you or anything but after MALC, RCV is the 2nd toughest exam in the Capability Track. :)