Options

Has this every happened to you? (frustrated w/ management)

GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
I work on site for a government contractor as a Desktop Tech and I am looking to move up as I set a goal to not get comfortable. I started with the company as help desk for 9 months and moved up to DTS and been at it for about a year and a half now. I've been one of the top technicians for a while now and recently these past few weeks have been asking my boss about moving to maybe Systems or Network operations as I plan on taking the CCENT next week. When I ask he usually BS's me with "I don't have experience" and "he needs me where I am at". I get the same BS with the project manager as well so it's frustrating when you know there are openings available.

I know guys who's been here for 5+ years at the deskide...hell one of my co-workers was a desktop technician when Windows 98 was popular..which is scary. By what I've seen so far at this company from others it seems like you would have to either put in a 2 weeks notice or be real good friends with management to move up any further. Has others experience this at their present or past companies?

Comments

• Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Move on if you can. There's no sense wasting time with a company like that, or playing games like putting in your two weeks hoping to get an offer to stay on and move up. They either value you and want you to grow with them or they don't, and it sounds like they don't.
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    I'm in a similar situation as you. If you've already expressed to management your desire to grow and you've shown the initiative to learn and grow professionally on your own time and dime and they still dont want to move you, its time to look for greener pastures my friend. To be honest, this is why I hate government contracting. I've never worked as a contractor where management was "happy" to see employees improve skills and move up. They want you right where you are because 1) you have the necessary experience to keep doing your job instead of having to hire and train up a new person to replace you and 2) moving up would entail paying you more which means less many for the contracting company.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Move on if you can. There's no sense wasting time with a company like that, or playing games like putting in your two weeks hoping to get an offer to stay on and move up. They either value you and want you to grow with them or they don't, and it sounds like they don't.

My thoughts exactly. By the looks of it you're highly unlikely to have a shot at moving up. I have witnessed situations like this where they simply place the people who they want, not the ones who deserve it and are right for the position. One of the things I hate the most is companies crippling your development. It's probably time to polish the resume.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    I'm in a similar situation as you. If you've already expressed to management your desire to grow and you've shown the initiative to learn and grow professionally on your own time and dime and they still dont want to move you, its time to look for greener pastures my friend. To be honest, this is why I hate government contracting. I've never worked as a contractor where management was "happy" to see employees improve skills and move up. They want you right where you are because 1) you have the necessary experience to keep doing your job instead of having to hire and train up a new person to replace you and 2) moving up would entail paying you more which means less many for the contracting company.

This is EXACTLY what I am starting to see about the company, I will probably stay away from government contractors if this is a common issue then. My co-worker has been applying for a Network Admin position since before I was hired and when he put in that 2 weeks...bam they opened up a Network operations spot for him. I am leaving for sure though because I would rather have growth with another company that actually does promotions and no games... once I get the CCENT next week I am going to redo my resume and search for a entry level NOC role.