Options

MSISA Capstone templates

colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
If anyone is interested, here are two templates I made for the capstone prospectus and capstone project...Capstone Prospectus 1.docCapstone Project template1.doc

Hopefully they will save you some time and frustration.
Working on: staying alive and staying employed

Comments

• Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I just got accepted into this program and the capstone was the only uncertanty for me. This looks like a great template Thank you for "paying it forward"
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    The capstone mentor provided me with templates for everything...
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    Did you guys have a pool of topics to pull from or was your capstone topic assigned to you?
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Valsacar wrote: »
    The capstone mentor provided me with templates for everything...

My current terms ends at the end of this month, and all I have left is the capstone. I haven't reached out to the mentor yet but am progressing on my propsectus (I am reasonably sure the idea will be accepted, just need to get it fleshed out so I can submit it as soon as I can...

Da_Vato, neither for me... I decided what I want it to be on. :) Like I said I am reasonably sure it will be accepted.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    My current terms ends at the end of this month, and all I have left is the capstone. I haven't reached out to the mentor yet but am progressing on my propsectus (I am reasonably sure the idea will be accepted, just need to get it fleshed out so I can submit it as soon as I can...

Da_Vato, neither for me... I decided what I want it to be on. :) Like I said I am reasonably sure it will be accepted.

Contact Cindy now, she'll talk with you about the process (provide you with her templates, but yours look pretty similar) and explain a few other details. She'll also give you the official go/no-go on your chosen topic now.

I talked with her about a month before I officially started, as I was in the same boat as you. Done with all course work, had a month left on the term so I couldn't officially start yet.

@da_vato you choose what you want to do it on, they approve the topic.

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
  • Options
    How long did it take you guys to get to the capstone? Is it far fetched to think I can finish in a year if I have a decent amount of knowledge in infosec?
  • Options
    da_vato wrote: »
    How long did it take you guys to get to the capstone? Is it far fetched to think I can finish in a year if I have a decent amount of knowledge in infosec?

It took me a year, but with work I probably lost 3-4 months (whole months of doing nothing) due to various reasons. A year is possible if you're familiar with the concepts and can prove that you know it. I'd say give yourself 2-4 months to do the capstone proper, so that leaves 8-10 months to do the course work.

• Options
    Valsacar, thanks for the advice.

offtopic: are you in Yongson by chance? I was in Korea for a long time.
  • Options
    Yeah, I work at Yongsan now.

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Cool. Yongsan.

I worked at the Area II Information Center by way of 201st Signal Company. I believe 8th Army was the big unit in the area at the time. No idea what the stuff is called now.

For whatever reason, my work job title was "Programmer", though the majority of the work I remember had to do with Windows NT and Exchange 5.5. (I wasn't programming for either of those.). Instead of "Active Directory Users and Computers," the similar applet from back in the day was called "User Manager for Domains," or something quirky like that.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Oh... you must have worked for the NEC or DOIM... completely screwed up organizations that can't seem to do anything right (who cares about rules, this is how we do it... EPO, what's that?). All GS run now, and apparently the middle of the work day is the best time to do maintenance and patching!

8th Army is the largest Army organization, but USFK is the main overall organization.

• Options
    I was in Camp Casey for four years and Camp Bonifas (DMZ) for a year....

I was mostly doing sys ad in those days before DOIM became an organization. Glad I never had to endure your obvious frustration with those guys.
  • Options
    I was in Camp Casey for four years and Camp Bonifas (DMZ) for a year....

I was mostly doing sys ad in those days before DOIM became an organization. Glad I never had to endure your obvious frustration with those guys.

What frustration... it's not like it takes them 2 months to make a NIPR account... oh wait, it does. :P

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

Actual hours spent was around 12 or so, however there is a caveat here. Since my MS Capstone was based on my undergrad Capstone, I was able to pull a ton of information from it. I would say at least 1/2 of my finished MS Capstone was pulled and modified to fit the rubric. This allowed me to do the prospectus write up in around 4 hours with the rest of the Capstone project in 8 hours.

The PowerPoint presentation for the oral defense only took about an hour, once you've hit the oral defense stage of things it's pretty much a given that you've got it. You will see your student mentor, Cindy the course mentor, and 1-2 other course mentors. Each will ask a few questions of you but it's not in a huge formal setting like you may expect. You can approach it from a perspective of speaking with peers rather than superiors, that helped me to calm my nerves and ended up segueing into a discussion on social engineering with one of the course mentors.

@colemic Contact Cindy as soon as you can, she's a little short by email but will provide you all the info you would need, plus templates etc.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    If anyone is interested, here are two templates I made for the capstone prospectus and capstone project...Capstone Prospectus 1.docCapstone Project template1.doc

Hopefully they will save you some time and frustration.

Thank you for the templates. Though I am not at WGU, I will be completing my MSIA shortly, and have the option of doing a capstone, thesis, or practicum. I was leaning towards the practicum, though I am still considering the former options. Thanks again