Options

Can someone help me to troubleshoot Pakcet Tracer wireless access

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
I'm doing Cisco NetAcademy PT Activity 7.3.2 Configuring wireless LAN Access. I went through all the steps. The Packet Tracer status says it's 100% complete. But the wireless router just doesn't talk to the network.

Please delete the '.doc' from the file name to run it in Packet Tracer. TIA.

PT Activity 7.3.2 Configuring Wireless LAN Access - incomplete.pka.doc

Comments

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is nothing that I can find wrong with the configuration and I am able to ping from PC3 to PC1 and PC2, but not vice-versa. Best I can figure, the Linksys Wireless Router has some kind of default firewall that acts like NAT (only established traffic allowed inbound on the WAN port). The firewall configuration options are locked, so I cannot test this.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    theodoxa wrote: »
    There is nothing that I can find wrong with the configuration and I am able to ping from PC3 to PC1 and PC2, but not vice-versa. Best I can figure, the Linksys Wireless Router has some kind of default firewall that acts like NAT (only established traffic allowed inbound on the WAN port). The firewall configuration options are locked, so I cannot test this.

Ah. That's why. Thanks.

Is this really how to configure a wireless AS at companies? What's the purpose of VLAN 88? Can we do without VLAN 88?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ah. That's why. Thanks.

Is this really how to configure a wireless AS at companies? What's the purpose of VLAN 88? Can we do without VLAN 88?

VLAN 88 carries traffic originating from the wireless network. This would likely be done for security reasons. By keeping the wireless users on a separate VLAN, you could limit their access to only specific resources. In this case, it doesn't appear there are any ACLs blocking access from one VLAN to another, but in real life there probably would be.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I found that some Packet Tracer labs can be a little buggy with the newer versions. I re-created the lab with an older version of PT and I got full connectivity between the PCs (see screen shot: PC3 to PC1)

LAB.JPG 73.8K
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    MosGuy wrote: »
    I found that some Packet Tracer labs can be a little buggy with the newer versions. I re-created the lab with an older version of PT and I got full connectivity between the PCs (see screen shot: PC3 to PC1)

I'm running PT 5.3.3.0019. Can you upload the PT file for this lab? I'd like to run it and analyze a bit if I can.
  • Options
    I'm running PT 5.3.3.0019. Can you upload the PT file for this lab? I'd like to run it and analyze a bit if I can.

It seems related to the version. Why the older ones work and newer versions don't always is the mystery. I found it mostly with wireless, which I why I keep three PT versions installed. I tested on 5.3.3 and 6.0.1 with no luck either.

I didn't make any change to the config. After work I'll re-do the lab and upload.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

• Options
    ---

• Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I made a topology with wireless, but without the Linksys Wireless router. See the attached. Remove the ".doc" from the filename.

hth
  • Options
    MosGuy wrote: »

Thanks. Just as I expected, I can't ping from PC1 inside the network to PC3, the wireless host. Maybe it's a PT bug.
  • Options
    Thanks. Just as I expected, I can't ping from PC1 inside the network to PC3, the wireless host. Maybe it's a PT bug.

The important thing is knowing it's something in PT, rather than an error configuration wise. Best to pretend PING was successfully and move onto other labs :)
    ---