Options

Question about ITIL Foundation Certificate

nagica22nagica22 Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
Dear all, how long the ITIL Foundation certificate will be valid? I mean, in Cisco for example each certificate will be valid for 3 years then you have to take another Cisco exam in order to re-activate all the previous certificates.
Project Engieer,
Certification: ITIL, CCNA R&S, CCNP Route

Comments

• Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As of right now, ITIL certifications do not expire. When a new version is released, you can simply become certified for the new version. Your certification for the previous version would still be good. As an example, some people hold certifications for versions 2 and 3.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure how "versioning" works with v3 versus 2011. Maybe someone else can chime in here... If I were to pass the exam for 2011, would I become certified in v3 and 2011? Or, would my v3 certification simply be upgraded to reflect the 2011 updates?
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot amcnow for your prompt reply.
    Project Engieer,
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi amcnow, to answer you question about versioning - if you passed the ITIL Foundation today, you would be classed as 'ITIL Foundation certified', with no version number. Someone who took the V2 or V3 exam could also say they are ITIL Foundation certified, because the certification doesn't expire. If you're applying for a job or hiring someone, it's good to specify what version of the ITIL Foundation you're qualified in/looking for. Claire
  • Options
    Thank you very much Claire for your usual support. The information you have provided is very helpful. You have really helped to make things run smoothly. I really appreciate your willingness to help out wherever needed.
    Project Engieer,
  • Options
    My pleasure, thank you for the feedback :)
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Claire,

I performed a search for ITIL 2011 information and came across one of your responses to the ITIL V3 Foundation vs ITIL 2011 thread. It sounds like sitting for the 2011 exam isn't worth it when already certified for v3 (2007). Your response here and in the other thread were very helpful. Thanks.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    Hi amcnow, you're very welcome and you're right - I wouldn't recommend recertifying as the level of change doesn't warrant it. Claire