Good Reason to get the ITIL

Hi Everyone,

What is a good reason to get the ITIL cert? What value does it add to an individual in terms of professional improvement? Do employers recognize and respect this cert?

Thanks in advance.
WGU - BS Software Development
Start Date: 2/1/2016
Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60

Comments

• About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Check HERE for the official answer. It is basically a set of best practices within IT ranging from proper documentation and discover to providing a consistent support experience.

Some companies live and die by the ITIL standards and others have never heard of them. Your professional mileage may vary in that respect but the knowledge is universal and could be applied to any IT job regardless of whether or not the company officially follows the guidelines.
  • NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    thanks so much.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    As I noted in another thread. . .

Usage of ITIL best practices is becoming increasingly common in large companies in the United States. Having ITIL certification may open doors that would be closed without it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I agree with petedude. It will only help, not hurt to get it. And as someone who has worked at several large Fortune 500 companies, I can say that management and HR like seeing people have certs like ITIL, even if the person wouldn't use the knowledge directly in their roles.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check HERE for the official answer.
    And click HERE for the unofficial answer.
    Thanks again. Those of you who have it or are studying for it, what have you found to be the best study materials?
  • HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've seen it asked for more and more over here across the pond also.

I've got this ITIL Foundation Exam Study Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Liz Gallacher, Helen Morris: Books

Although I haven't read it yet (busy with my Stanly CC VMWare course) it seems to come highly recommended around here.

:)
    Thanks. Picked it up.
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITIL is best practice for IT service management. Good to have especially if you work in an organization applying it.
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    It's fairly easy to obtain and employers are placing a high value on it right now in my experience.

Get Liz Gallacher's book if youre going to study, it seems to be really good and to the point without a bunch of fluff.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]