Options

Targets for 2014

Comments

• Options
    it_boxit_box Member Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2014 looks to be a busy year, I have most of the study material just hope I can swing it all:

Net+, Sec +, Server +
    MCSA 2008
    ITIL
    VCP

CCNA if there is anytime left over
    Its about time I started studying for some certs
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    CCNA, CCNA:S, A+ (for personal reasons, really want to understand this basic material since I want to head down the systems admin path), MCSA 2012.

Here's hoping I can get all of this done in 2014.
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Finished my first Certs this year, N+ and CCNA

2013:MCSA Server 2013, L+ and maybe start CCNP or RHCSA depending on my job situation second half of 2014...
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a fairly big list:
    CCNA: Security & SSCP (scheduled for 1/17)
    GIAC - GCIA (6/2014)
    Associate of ISC2 - CISSP (8/2014)
    B.S. IT - Security, 44 CU left as of 12/2013. (12/2014)

I already scheduled my CCNA: Security and SSCP on the same day, as I feel there is enough of an overlap between the two. This year is going to be primarily focused on getting a good handle on every aspect of security. My new infosec job has some [way too much] down time. On top of those goals, I'll be getting married and buying a house, so it should be a fun year.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    2013 was supposed to pass NCDA, but didn't get around to it yet.

NCDA
    VCAP-DCA5
    VCAP-DCD5
    And I need to re-up my CCNA:S so I need to figure out what I'm doing with that. Other than that, I'm planning to work on my Linux skills along with looking into OpenStack/Python/Ruby stuff.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    CCNA, Something w/firewalls if work pays for it, CISSP-ISSMP, and at least one other ISACA cert (CISM, CRISC, CGEIT). Possibly work on CASP and PMP.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    bklg1504bklg1504 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My 2014 goals are to get my A+, Net+, Sec+, CCNA, and get my foot in the door in the IT field.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would like to get my CCENT/CCNA/CCNA: Security and possibly CISM
  • Options
    clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to go for CCNA:Sec this year followed by RHCE.

I've barely touched any Cisco since completing my CCNA this time last year so there's a little bit of brushing up to be done first I think, time to dig out the old notes and get my lab set up again.

RHCE I'm hoping to keep working towards, that's a long term goal for me. I passed RHCSA earlier this year and since then I've been concentrating on just getting more and more Linux experience before I go for this.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    My rest of year goals: pass the 70-680 and 70-685 exams. After that, hoping to start at WGU for the BSIT Security degree (target of 01 Dec 13).

Well, that's a bummer. I've been so wrapped around other axles that I've pretty much neglected every one of these goals.

When I get off shift this morning, I'm going to sit down with a pad of paper, a pen, and my Sheldon Cooper thinking cap and come up with a plan for next year. Then, I'm going to pull out all of the stops and crank the goals out. Tired of feeling complacent.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2013 goals (from August-end year): A+ Net+ Sec+
    2013 achieved: A+ Net+ Sec+ Server+

2014 goals: 70-680 and 70-685 (MCSA: Windows 7) in January, 70-689 (MCSA: Windows 8 ) in February, CCENT / CCNA, after that who knows. I'd like to get into Linux...maybe Linux+ and a Red Hat cert. I expect to be done with the CCNA hopefully by April, that leaves a lot to the imagination for the rest of the year. Considering joining WGU and finishing my bachelors. With my certs and my 2 1/2 years of state school credits I could finish up a BS by the end of the year.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    1. Complete CCNP (2 months)

2. Read, learn and lab these books (8 months)

TCP/IP by Comer
    Routing TCP/IP Vol 1
    Moy's OSPF book
    BGP Design and Implementation
    MPLS Fundamentals
    Routing TCP/IP Vol 2

3. Get some basic Firewall and VPN skills. Probably by doing CCNA:Sec. (2 months)
  • Options
    okpokp Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1. Complete ISSMP
    2. Read "The personal MBA by Josh Kaufman"
    3. Meet people and share knowledge
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNP R&S for sure, that' really about it.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    engrsashengrsash Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2014 Goals

1. CISSP
    2. CISA
    3. CEH
  • Options
    EstebanArayaEstebanAraya Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNP R & S. Recently I passed SWITCH.

And CCDP because I already have the CCDA
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I signed up for the June CISA exam, will decide on what next once that is done.
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cobit, PMP, ITIL and i hope to finish my MBA.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    tprice5 wrote: »
    2014 Goals:
    1. Finish MCSEs
    2. Hopefully my employer has provided VMware training course to make me eligible for VCP. Will certainly be playing with ESXi at home, A LOT.

EDIT: Formatting

I haven't even started on my MCSEs! I actually haven't gotten a single certification this year. YET! Here's how we are looking right now.

1. MCTS: Hyper-V 74-409. Booked for the 22nd. Had it scheduled for earlier but went through a shift change that created scheduling conflicts that could not be resolved so I had to no-show it.
    2. VCP5-DCV. Just received my 70% off voucher from my professor for completing the Stanly ICM course. Will be booking it soon. LIkely sitting it within the next 3 to 4 weeks.
    3. MCTS: SCCM 2012 (can't remember the test number). Just completed company required training for this. My job role is SCCM administrator. Unfortunately we are still on 2007 and I don't see an update on the horizon. I wanted to wait till I used it at work a lot but I've got a pretty mature environment built up at home with a CAS, Primary and Secondary. That and I know 07 like the back of my hand and the two are pretty similar.
    4. I'm on the list for the May NetApp/EMC course offered by Dallas Community College so after I complete that course I will sit those tests. It is a 3 month course though so that puts testing for it around September.
    5. MCSA:Server 2012. 70-417. I may try and take this prior to the NetApp/EMC course.

And if I am being really ambitious (won't be heart broken if I don't get around to it)...
    6. MCSE:Server Infrastructure or Private Cloud

Note: Ignore my signature. Will update that puppy whenever I pass my test in 2 weeks.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Late to this but mine roughly goes as;
    Windows 2012 MCSA upgrade
    MCSE Private Cloud
    Some HDS Storage and Blade certs following on from the courses I'm doing
    (all of which are mandatory by my employer for this year)

Trying to get approval for the VCAP-DCD too, but in any case will be doing some reading on this anyway.

Didn't do a single cert last year - the 'time off' was epic :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Passed the CCNA: R/S yesterday and now focus is moving to the CISM exam in June. Hoping to knock it out and take the CISA in September after that as well.
  • Options
    maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    2014 goals;

CCDA
    MCSE 2012
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    QHalo wrote: »
    2013 was supposed to pass NCDA, but didn't get around to it yet.

NCDA
    VCAP-DCA5
    VCAP-DCD5
    And I need to re-up my CCNA:S so I need to figure out what I'm doing with that. Other than that, I'm planning to work on my Linux skills along with looking into OpenStack/Python/Ruby stuff.

VCAP5-DCA - completed
    VCAP5-DCD - in progress
    NCDA - postponed
    Cisco re-up - delayed
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCIE R&S Written for 2014.
    CCIE R&S Lab attempt for 2015.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    Just finished my ICND2 & got my CCNA(R&S) in march 4th......finished Network+ & Security+ last year as i plannned....now on to MCSE 2012 Server for the 5 tests........for a change of wind, i might just take the ITIL V3 test & get certified......that should take the whole year i guess with 3 kids & a sick wife & running my own business......
  • Options
    maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    engrsash wrote: »
    2014 Goals

1. CISSP
    2. CISA
    3. CEH

I encourage you engsash that is a high goal.
  • Options
    CJWelch89CJWelch89 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently signed off from the army, 5 years I'll never get back, pshh. So now I'm following my long standing passion for all things geeky, namely networking and security and I'm hoping to make a career out of it. I know, before I can run I must learn to walk a la dues are to be paid sitting at the service desk!

My goals for this year:

BCS ECDL (Passed)
    BCS ITQ Levels 1 + 2 (Passed)
    CompTIA A+ (Passed)
    CompTIA Network+ (Exam next week)
    CompTIA Security+ (Exam in 2 weeks)
    CompTIA Server+ (Hope to sit exam 1 month from now)
    Microsoft MCSA: Windows 7
    Microsoft MCSA: Server 2012

And next year? I have a rough idea, something like ~ Cisco CCNA, Cisco CCNA Security, (ISC)2 SSCP... that kind of route.

Ambitious but doable, I've succeeded so far don't doubt me now!
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    I'm doing a career change and just signed up here a couple of months ago. I've no cert nor exp in IT yet. My original plan beginning of the year was to obtain the CompTIA trio certs however I've decided to just get my knowledge (no certs) from the complete Messer videos then proceed to obtain:

Linux+
    ITIL
    CCNA
    Possibly MCSA

I'm in the Stanley VMware wait list so that will be inserted in the list somewhere. Hopefully this year will be the year I get my break in IT.
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    omi2123 wrote: »
    Just finished my ICND2 & got my CCNA(R&S) in march 4th......finished Network+ & Security+ last year as i plannned....now on to MCSE 2012 Server for the 5 tests........for a change of wind, i might just take the ITIL V3 test & get certified......that should take the whole year i guess with 3 kids & a sick wife & running my own business......

That is no small feat and you should be proud of your accomplishments. I have 2 small kids and the only time I can truly have some quiet time to study is during my lunch break from work ( I eat w/in 15 minutes then spend the 45 reading) and while waiting for my son on his karate class (1 hr of reading in the van). Hard work but we do what we have to do.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PMP, more muscle, be a more positive person