WCNA passed in last month

kkekke Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and I am glad to announce that I have passed WCNA(Wireshark Certified Network Analyst) on December 20th. I finished the exam in 33 minutes of 120 minutes total, from my perspective, the exam is not very hard if you read and understand the book The Official Wireshark Certified Network Analyst Study Guide thoroughly.
The skills I acquired from preparing for the exam outweighs the certification(by the way, i haven't received that after 10 business days, they promise to send it in 15 business daysicon_smile.gif )
I currently work as a malware analyst and I want to become an intrusion detection analyst someday, so I am preparing for the GCIA now.
At last, I want to express my special thanks to docrice, his posts are helpful in preparing for the WCNA and GCIA exams.

Comments

• docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You're welcome. Interesting to note, I let my WCNA expire a couple of months ago due to a really busy schedule (in addition to all three of my CCNAs a few days ago). But you're right, the skill way outweighs the certified status. If only more people really took the time to delve into the inner workings of packets and protocols.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Congrats and welcome.

@docrice, that means you have to remove it from your cert list under your avi, right?
    - cert police icon_lol.gif
    jkjk
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Psyco32Psyco32 Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS!!! BTW, just for clarification, you used the second edition study guide right?? I have the 1st ed sitting in my library for reference but barely used it. If you understand packets and protocols you should have no problem on the GCIA (Took the exam last week). I would start looking over TCPdump, Silk, and Snort stuff if you are going to take it. Since you passed the Wireshark, you should have no problem with that section of the test. Good luck!!!
    2014 GOALS
    > GMOB [MAR_2014] OSCP [MAY_2014] GREM [OCT_2014]
  • kkekke Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Psyco32,

I am very grateful for your information. Yes, I studied the second edition, the book provides lots of trace files in different situations so that I can practice along while reading the text, also, I captured some packets in my real environment and looked into them.
    Now I am reading the book Network Intrusion Detection(3rd edition) by Stephen Northcutt and Judy Novak, it covers the usage of TCPDump and how to write Snort rules, I think it's helpful though it is a little old(published in 2003).
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    kke wrote: »
    Now I am reading the book Network Intrusion Detection(3rd edition) by Stephen Northcutt and Judy Novak, it covers the usage of TCPDump and how to write Snort rules, I think it's helpful though it is a little old(published in 2003).
    Heh heh...I still occasionally reference the 1st edition published in 1999.