Options

CCNA Study Group

Comments

• Options
    mikerodriguezmikerodriguez Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Finished chapter 2 Ethernet Networking and Data Encapsulation, did the labs and answered the review questions...

Review Questions: 19/20
    Labs: 2 Binary to Decimal conversions wrong... I'll say I'm tired as hell as an excuse for this. I'm blurry eyed atm and reading from a laptop, I could barely see the bits. So sue me.

On to chapter 3, TCP/IP. icon_lol.gif

EDIT:
    Blasted through chapter 3
    Review Questions: 19/20
    Mapped a few (3) protocols to the incorrect layer in the labs.

All in all pretty good I say. I'm going to go ahead and skip through the subnetting chapter (4) and go straight into chapter 5, VLSM & Summarization (If only to practice summarization a bit). I don't really need much work with VLSM or subnetting.

I see the thread's pretty dead, but posting what I've done so far ( and then reading it ) somehow motivates me to keep going ya know? I'm just going to go ahead and keep editing my posts with my progress, keeping a personal log of sorts without flooding the thread by myself, yeah? icon_study.gif

I'll probably have to stop at some point though so my post doesn't become a wall... *Sigh
    2014 Goals: CCNA R&S | CCNA Security
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @Mike....its probably because its a weekend, many of the participants in this thread visit during the week :) I too skimmed the subnetting chapter because I wanted to get a better feel for all the topics before I dove into subnetting. It was a good choice for me. Just remember there is no replacement for practice when it comes to subnetting.

I am going through Chris Bryants ACL videos and I thought it would be cool if someone could give me some real world examples oh how and why ACLs are used. It helps me to remember everything when I can tie it into a scenario.
  • Options
    I am going through the final pieces of the Chris Bryant series and I have a nagging question.

When is it appropriate to use the write command? The answer seems obvious, but I want to be crystal clear on this. I see him use it any time he modifies the config, is that the standard I should follow?
  • Options
    NetEsoonNetEsoon Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Everyone... I'm a newbie, I started to prepare for the CCENT exam yesterday, however I did take some NetCad classes years ago, but I never took the certification exam icon_sad.gif... But it is okay, I'm starting from scratch, and with a new mindset... So, I have just finished reading chapter one from Odom's book, which it was very nice, I think it is definitely easier to understand than Lammle's book, and I also have the videos from Chris Bryant, which are awesome, and I was trying to get the CBT Nuggets, but they are a little bit expensive, so I was wondering if anyone knows a way to get them for a discounted price or even for free, I would really appreciate your help.

I wish the best to everyone in your studies, and I will continue to interact with you during this learning process.

Thanks!
  • Options
    NetEsoon wrote: »
    Hi Everyone... I'm a newbie, I started to prepare for the CCENT exam yesterday, however I did take some NetCad classes years ago, but I never took the certification exam icon_sad.gif... But it is okay, I'm starting from scratch, and with a new mindset... So, I have just finished reading chapter one from Odom's book, which it was very nice, I think it is definitely easier to understand than Lammle's book, and I also have the videos from Chris Bryant, which are awesome, and I was trying to get the CBT Nuggets, but they are a little bit expensive, so I was wondering if anyone knows a way to get them for a discounted price or even for free, I would really appreciate your help.

I wish the best to everyone in your studies, and I will continue to interact with you during this learning process.

Thanks!

I am not aware of a discount code for the CBT videos. I will say however that I see many people say Chris's series is great (I agree, I am no video 80 something) so dont feel like you HAVE to get the CBT stuff to pass.

Good luck on finishing this, and welcome to the group.
  • Options
    Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    Hi Mike, Bugzy & NetEsoon, Welcome to the Group and thank you for joining us!

Mike - Thanks for your updates! Yes posts are periodic and sometimes we have a lot one day and a little the next but all in all the thread is still goin (thanks everyone)! Sounds like you're getting through the chapters quite well! You are encouraged to post as much as you like as it will help others who may be at the same point you are. This way if you or anyone has questions, it helps to start a dialogue too!

Bugzy - Let us know how your exam went! Magic put it best in regards to the exam, it's questions, and how they are written. Focus on time, speed and definitely the detail. It looks like you are in a good position so don't overthink just be prepared. If you can get through the practice, questions & exams, you will get through the test.

Chris - In regards to the write command, I believe that it is a legacy command that suited for old IOS version and probably backwards compatible with new IOS versions. The write command is old syntax while copy run start is the new syntax. I think just typing wr is quicker. Either way its pretty much the same thing and I suppose you can do either or. As far as ACL's, I have yet to get to really learn it but I found a link. This one too. Hopefully they help out.

NetEsoon - It's good that you have material to at least get started with your CCNA studies. Don't get to caught up on having too many resources at once because you'll end up overwhelmed. Danscourses.com I hear has alot of CCNA videos for free and plenty of people have used them to get a better understanding of the material. As far as CBT nuggets, I would not encourage sharing those videos for free (because they aren't) but if anyone knows of any discounts from CBTN do share!

I don't know what version of Chris Bryants videos you have (he has some from his trainsignal days) but on udemy, he usually gives huge discounts on his new videos. You can also check out pluralsight.

As far as where I am, currently I am on chapter 9 learning about OSPF. This time around, I am really trying to sink into all of the material. I am shooting for the end of July and at the latest, August to take the ICND2 but we'll see how that goes. It has been up and down but the studies are still going!

Stay encouraged, keep focused, gain results! (Sounds like a fitness T-shirt lol)

icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Thanks Chris and Agent47 for your reply!!

Ok Sounds good! I will use Odom's books as the Primary resource and then Chris Bryant videos as a secondary resource... Yes Agent47 I got his latest video from Udemy, they are excellent ;) and yeah I will definitely use Danscourses as well... I can't wait to start working on labs.

This time I'm feeling extremely motivated...

Thanks again, and keep in touch!
  • Options
    You're very welcome NetEsoon! While there is packet tracer and GNS3 for labs, I do think that the new simulator from Wendell Odom and Sean Wilkins is pretty helpful too, packed full of ready to go labs specific to the topics! Got my copy some time ago and it works well.
  • Options
    Hey hey, I've been a bit busy with work so I haven't posted for a few days but we're still going at it lol. Startig Lammle's chapter 7 atm. I'm thinking after I get to the 10th chapter (maybe a bit earlier idk) I'll go back and complete all the previous labs and review questions so I don't forget any of it since it's mostly basics and you tend to forget em pretty quick.

@Chris Definitely, practice is key. The labs for the subnetting chapters were GREAT.
    Regarding the write command, I'm not really sure. I use the commands the same exact way lol. For exam purposes though, I understand the recommended one is copy run start, but I haven't really found a difference in functionality... Anybody who knows one is welcome to share it icon_lol.gif
    Agent47 wrote: »

Hi Mike, Bugzy & NetEsoon, Welcome to the Group and thank you for joining us!

Mike - Thanks for your updates! Yes posts are periodic and sometimes we have a lot one day and a little the next but all in all the thread is still goin (thanks everyone)! Sounds like you're getting through the chapters quite well! You are encouraged to post as much as you like as it will help others who may be at the same point you are. This way if you or anyone has questions, it helps to start a dialogue too!

As far as where I am, currently I am on chapter 9 learning about OSPF. This time around, I am really trying to sink into all of the material. I am shooting for the end of July and at the latest, August to take the ICND2 but we'll see how that goes. It has been up and down but the studies are still going!

icon_study.gif

Thanks and will do. I'm thinking of sitting for the composite exam at about the same time, I think mid July might be good. Good luck with your own studies.
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Anyone else found Frame Relay to be not that hard? It's Routing Protocols in IPv6 next...now THAT will be hard.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Frame Relay itself is easy enough - You do hear a lot of complaint about OSPF network types and things though, but it's not that difficult really.

Nothing is difficult if you truly understand it well though :)
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Frame Relay itself is easy enough - You do hear a lot of complaint about OSPF network types and things though, but it's not that difficult really.

Nothing is difficult if you truly understand it well though :)

For me the two hardest topics so far have been in-depth OSPF and EIGRP.

***That is 'in-depth' with regards to this level of study, I am aware it is barely scratching the surface
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Don't worry, when I first got into Cisco it was fairly mindbinding to begin with. Over time you'll find it easier and easier :)
  • Options
    For me the two hardest topics so far have been in-depth OSPF and EIGRP.

I'm on this chapter right now and its draining. Will def have to go and re-read :/
  • Options
    Be Honest: How long does it take for you to really read a chapter in a CCNA study book like Lammle or Odom?
  • Options
    OZ17OZ17 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im planning to take the CCNA Exam after a few months. So i hope, i can learn a lot from you guys ;)
  • Options
    Be Honest: How long does it take for you to really read a chapter in a CCNA study book like Lammle or Odom?

I'd say about 2 - 3 hours for me. I take pretty long notes lol. That's Lammle though, Odom is a different story. But all in all, either book, the most I've read any given day is 2 chapters. 1 in the morning/afternoon and 1 in the evening + Review Questions/Labs.
  • Options

Depends what I've got on. It normally takes me a couple of hours for an Odom chapter, where there is a lot of understanding required possibly longer, like EIGRP successors etc.

However that couple of hours sometimes stretches over days. icon_sad.gif
  • Options

Hello everyone... Yes, it is taking me an average of 2 to 2.5 hours to finish a chapter from Odom's book including the review questions, I'm about to start chapter 5, so far I haven't had any lab yet, so I guess it would take me longer when I start working in the labs.

I did not like Lammle's book at all, however I do not have the latest version, I have the old one for CCNA composite 640-802, so I'm not sure if the new one is easier to understand, but I was planning to read the chapters depending of the topic I was studying, but I stopped reading it, maybe I'll give it a try later on.

Ok Guys, keep studying and enjoy your weekend!
  • Options
    Actually that's a good point NetEsoon.

Including labbing a chapter/topic can take up to 5 hours of my time!

EDIT: Maybe longer actually, especially with the routing protocols. Often you get taken on a sidetrack as well by Googling things that aren't covered in the book etc.

Maybe 10 hours then!
  • Options
    When I was trying to work through the Odom book I aimed for one chapter a day on my lunch break. I would get it most of the time, but sometimes it would take two days to get through a chapter.

The first 4 chapters of lammle I can almost rehearse, so they go by quick lol.

Stuff like OSPF and ACL's need a slower pace for me though.
  • Options
    Welcome OZ17!
    Thanks for joining us. I hope that we could help you on your journey! Do keep us posted and ask questions if needed.

Thank you all for your responses! Going through the chapters, I started to think is it just me? Why in the heck is it taking so long to read? This especially when I got to the chapters about Routing Basics, EIGRP and OSPF.

Had focus on these topics for a couple days and it felt like forever. However, now I have that "Ooooh so that's what that means, now I get it" moment :) finally!. Still pushin though! So much to remember so little time.

icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

Even though these videos are from 2012, the content is still useful and free.
    I also thought that this was an interesting read too: Who is the mother of the internet?
  • Options
    FINALLY, I have finished the big WAN section, that was a lot! There's a tonne, and I mean a tonne of commands to maybe not memorise but really know, plus the desired outputs. That's challenging.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□

For my CCENT review I was reading Odom's book and it would take about 2 hours. I read one chapter a day and since this was review I tried to read it away from the computer so I didn't get distracted with testing commands and searching Google for more information.

My schedule has changed now and I need to read ICND2 but I don't start till about 9 at night so I rarely finish the chapter. It will take some effort but I really want to test in 3 to 4 weeks so I need to get back to studying.
  • Options
    Hey guys just an update, we're still going at it. Today I started doing labs with GNS3 after quite a while, so that felt pretty good (Sorta like seeing an old girlfriend after a long time icon_lol.gif). I got through the OSPF chapter (thats chapter 10), and am going to be starting switching today. I'll have to bring out packet tracer for this one though... damn. Anybody here planning on taking the exam now in June?

Edit:
    Also added my cert goals for this year on my sig. I know it looks like a copy-paste of agent47's but no, I typed it up all by myself! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Hey guys just an update, we're still going at it. Today I started doing labs with GNS3 after quite a while, so that felt pretty good (Sorta like seeing an old girlfriend after a long time icon_lol.gif). I got through the OSPF chapter (thats chapter 10), and am going to be starting switching today. I'll have to bring out packet tracer for this one though... damn. Anybody here planning on taking the exam now in June?

Edit:
    Also added my cert goals for this year on my sig. I know it looks like a copy-paste of agent47's but no, I typed it up all by myself! icon_cheers.gif

Yes mate I planned to, my work even expect me to have it by the end of June but it has been a full 5 months since I started studying for ICND2 and I feel I have lost a lot of core information over time. Can I get all that back plus finish the end of the book (IPv6 routing + network management) before then? Probably not.
  • Options
    Hi guys, just wanted to give a quick update about my studies... So I'm on chapter 9 and I'm very excited that finally I'm starting to play with the commands :), I purchased two 2950 switches and two 2600 routers and I was dying to start configuring them... So, I'm very excited about this, I hope to be ready to present the ICND1 exam at the end of July.

Ok guys... Keep studying... I know it is nice out there but we need to do this!!!
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have been slacking off for the last two weeks. Just got a lot of stuff going on right now.

I still plan to test for ICND2 in late June or early July but I have not done any review lately.
    A few practice tests I have been taking put me at about 80% so I still have some work to do.

Jon
  • Options
    Do you follow any Lab guide/ manual???
    I'm following Odom's book, I don't know why I had the impression that under "Prep tasks" at the end of each chapter, there were going to be some sort of labs, but I didn't find any... So, I found some guides online such as: CCNA Routing & Switching Lab Workbook | Free CCNA Workbook
    But I was wondering if there is guide in specific that you follow? and how do you combine your studies with the labs?...Like, do you read a chapter then do a lab, or do you wait to finish the part review (a couple of chapters) and the labs?
    Thanks for sharing!