Options

CCNA Study Group

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    PASSED!

I need to hit the IP data network portion of the objectives hard before moving on (it was my weakest spot), but I passed!

Great job!
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    timesvan32 wrote: »
    I dunno yet. I guess when I am handed a OSPF scenario, then that's when I know I will be hung up. I know the common syntax to config it such as router ospf and "network" interface subcommand. It's brand new stuff for me lol.

look over the objectives concerning ospf and mark what you feel unsure about. Post here with questions and I'll see if I can help.
  • Options
    silent12illsilent12ill Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Vinny Cisco that post was great I had been on and off learning from the Todd Lammle book after going through the cbt nuggets but I was never really unsure where I stood. This post makes me feel a little more confident. thank you!
  • Options
    I am back to trying to make PuTTy work.

I have two 1841's and two 2950s. I have two laptops, one is Win 7 pro the other is Win 8.1 enterprise. The win 7 pro laptop I used a cisco roll over cable with a trendnet tu-s9 USB to DB9 adapter. I could not get putty to connect, I would simply get a "ding" every time I clicked open.

Until tonight I had not had a chance to try it with the Win 8.1 laptop that has a DB9 port on board (so no need for a USB adapter). I plugged it in, adjusted my serial connection settings...and nothing. Just the ding I get with the other laptop.

What am I doing wrong? I have spent 90 minutes total troubleshooting this and everything has been a dead end. It seems like putty is a really simple app that just worksfor everyone out of the box.
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    PASSED!

I need to hit the IP data network portion of the objectives hard before moving on (it was my weakest spot), but I passed!

Great job mate. Great job.
  • Options
    I am back to trying to make PuTTy work.

Does it work with any other programs? I don't use putty but maybe it's not the software?
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    @Vinny Cisco that post was great I had been on and off learning from the Todd Lammle book after going through the cbt nuggets but I was never really unsure where I stood. This post makes me feel a little more confident. thank you!

Glad I can help in some way.... Good Luck. You can do it.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    Chris, are you setting the correct Serial port for Putty? Go into Device Manager and see what Com port your usb - serial adapter is set to. That is the port you want to set Putty to use.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Does it work with any other programs? I don't use putty but maybe it's not the software?

I have not tried it with anything else. Will try with hyperterm tonight.
  • Options
    wgroom wrote: »
    Chris, are you setting the correct Serial port for Putty? Go into Device Manager and see what Com port your usb - serial adapter is set to. That is the port you want to set Putty to use.

I double checked I was designating the right port in putty when using the USB adapter (actually tried all 30 some com ports in putty as well).
  • Options
    tasman35tasman35 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    try using tera term. Thats what i use and also make sure you have the right driver for the usb connecter and its installed right on the computer....I have a tuff time getting it installed on win7 but finally got it to work.
  • Options
    tasman35 wrote: »
    try using tera term. Thats what i use and also make sure you have the right driver for the usb connector and its installed right on the computer....I have a tuff time getting it installed on win7 but finally got it to work.

I cut the USB adapter out of the equation with the other laptop that runs Win 8.1 and has a built in serial port. I know getting the driver to work on the USB was a real hassle but I was able to get that working.

I ran out of time last night...ill try tera term tonight.
  • Options
    Attention to detail is killing me here. There's *SO* much more info to take in than ICND1. I've been forced in to taking the exam next week by work so I'm trying hell for leather to get some proper studying time in.

I really hope there are no stupid 'What command would show you X output?' questions.
  • Options
    NetEsoonNetEsoon Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone... Well its being a while... I'm so happy to hear that Chris passed the exam, congrats buddy, well deserved! I was planning on taking the exam next week, but I'm not feeling fully prepared, so I guess I'll present it sometime in August.

Hi guys I have a question... I just had a chance to work in the 'CCNA1 - Practice Final Lab from Danscourses' CCNA1 Practice Final - Packet Tracer 6 | CCNA 1

So, he is asking to configure the router and switch through console cable that is only connected to the router, so my question is how do I get to configure the switches?? I mean, I will be able to configure the interfaces Gi 0/0 and Gi 0/1 of the router, but I'm not really sure how to get to the Fast Ethernet interfaces of the switches from the console port that is only connected to the Router.

Sorry guys if this is a stupid question, but I'm getting stuck here.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Telnet. It's how most corps remotely manage their routers. SSH in to the router's public IP then telnet to the management vlan int on the switch/es.
  • Options
    NetEsoon wrote: »
    Hi everyone... Well its being a while... I'm so happy to hear that Chris passed the exam, congrats buddy, well deserved! I was planning on taking the exam next week, but I'm not feeling fully prepared, so I guess I'll present it sometime in August.

Hi guys I have a question... I just had a chance to work in the 'CCNA1 - Practice Final Lab from Danscourses' CCNA1 Practice Final - Packet Tracer 6 | CCNA 1

So, he is asking to configure the router and switch through console cable that is only connected to the router, so my question is how do I get to configure the switches?? I mean, I will be able to configure the interfaces Gi 0/0 and Gi 0/1 of the router, but I'm not really sure how to get to the Fast Ethernet interfaces of the switches from the console port that is only connected to the Router.

Sorry guys if this is a stupid question, but I'm getting stuck here.

Thanks again!

Not a stupid question.

With devices (and someone please correct me if am wrong) like routers/switches, they need to have the initial config done via the console (like in this instance setting up the vty lines for telnet/ssh access). Once that is done, they can be deployed (if nothing else needs to be configed) and accessed via telnet/ssh.

Make sense?
  • Options
    tasman35 wrote: »
    try using tera term. Thats what i use and also make sure you have the right driver for the usb connecter and its installed right on the computer....I have a tuff time getting it installed on win7 but finally got it to work.

ITS ALIVE!!!! Tera term worked on the first try. I cant get puTTy or hyper to work for some reason.....

At any rate, just in time for the weekend! Weeeeeeee
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Never tried Putty but I can connect with hyperterm.. I do use TT exclusively
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    Never tried Putty but I can connect with hyperterm.. I do use TT exclusively

I have spent 20 minutes on the real equipment and feel like I have already learned a handful of new things. Not really exam related stuff, but just little things that are really helpful. I cant quantify what these little things are, but I am getting more confident building the config of the router...more so than I ever did in GNS3.
  • Options
    tasman35tasman35 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ITS ALIVE!!!! Tera term worked on the first try. I cant get puTTy or hyper to work for some reason.....

At any rate, just in time for the weekend! Weeeeeeee

Great to hear it...now get to labing ...lol
  • Options
    I've booked my ICND2 for Friday, and I'm going to fail it, but I have no choice because work has pushed me in to it. This will also mean I miss one of my targets, which affects my bonus.

Thanks for that work!

I know I'm going to fail it because I haven't put the time and effort required in, I've lost all my motivation and I really feel like just ripping all my notes up and doing a big fat crap right in the middle of them, then setting it all on fire.

I just got 65% in the Boson practice exam. There's no way I'm ready for this.
  • Options
    timesvan32timesvan32 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've booked my ICND2 for Friday, and I'm going to fail it, but I have no choice because work has pushed me in to it. This will also mean I miss one of my targets, which affects my bonus.

Thanks for that work!

I know I'm going to fail it because I haven't put the time and effort required in, I've lost all my motivation and I really feel like just ripping all my notes up and doing a big fat crap right in the middle of them, then setting it all on fire.

Yea, I am feeling the same way with my ICND1 studies at the moment. I kinda pushed it off, now to only return to it. Back to studying lol icon_study.gif
  • Options

Thanks for that work!

Good Luck Magic.
    Taking it early sucks but at the very least you will get a feel for what you are getting yourself into. The bonus bit sucks but maybe it will be a good kick in the rear you need to get motivated again.

I am pretty upset I have not tested yet. 3 funerals in a month killed my scheduling. Someday I'm gonna have to sneak the test in. I might have to look for someplace that is open on weekends now.
  • Options
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Good Luck Magic.
    Taking it early sucks but at the very least you will get a feel for what you are getting yourself into. The bonus bit sucks but maybe it will be a good kick in the rear you need to get motivated again.

I am pretty upset I have not tested yet. 3 funerals in a month killed my scheduling. Someday I'm gonna have to sneak the test in. I might have to look for someplace that is open on weekends now.

I know, I feel like I've studied a lot recently yet applying my knowledge clearly isn't as good as I thought it was, though after re-reading the questions in the practice exam I am kicking myself for not reading it properly. Same as ICND1 issues I had (still managed to pass that!).

To be fair I took it during work, I was interupted twice and I'm having to listen to my wife and her parents redecorate next door! Might try another one tonight in peace!

Yes mate, same as me, a close relative was slowly dying when I got my CCENT, he died shortly afterwards and that threw me miles off course so I know how you feel. I questioned 'what's the point lifes too short etc' but I feel if I can just get past this final hurdle...that's been nearly 10 months of studying on and off and it's dragging now!
  • Options
    Pound it out Magic. Your first pass is 20% higher than my first pass was in Boson and I still passed the exam!

Determine your weak spots, hone in on them...fix it then retest. Caffeine will get you through!

Does passing ICND2 in two months sound crazy for someone that took 6 months to prepare for CCENT?
  • Options
    Pound it out Magic. Your first pass is 20% higher than my first pass was in Boson and I still passed the exam!

Determine your weak spots, hone in on them...fix it then retest. Caffeine will get you through!

Does passing ICND2 in two months sound crazy for someone that took 6 months to prepare for CCENT?

I'm kind of stuck at not knowing what to study. My weak spots according to that were right across the board, I didn't get over 80% on any of the categories! icon_sad.gif

I'm going to go to my grans tonight get peace and quiet and really focus on a practice exam.

And no, it really doesn't. It took me 4 months for my CCENT, I think if I hadn't been knocked off course by various things I'd have aimed for 2 months as well. Don't let it stagnate though! If you can drive through it, don't let it hover over you for ages like me.
  • Options
    I'm kind of stuck at not knowing what to study. My weak spots according to that were right across the board, I didn't get over 80% on any of the categories! icon_sad.gif

I'm going to go to my grans tonight get peace and quiet and really focus on a practice exam.

And no, it really doesn't. It took me 4 months for my CCENT, I think if I hadn't been knocked off course by various things I'd have aimed for 2 months as well. Don't let it stagnate though! If you can drive through it, don't let it hover over you for ages like me.

Id pick the lowest area and hammer on it for a day. Attack it, for lack of a better word. Then move to your second weakest area. I might also refrence the areas to the cisco site and see if there is one weak area that has a lower probability of showing up on the exam (I know not the best idea, but when you have less than a week you need to do something). Either way, take action. Its only a few days away, hammer something!

I might be moving in October to another state/city, having the CCNA on my resume would be a HUGE boost when I start looking for another job. Thats why I want to get this done in two months. Also I start school back up Sept 25th, so I wont have to focus on anything but the CCNA until then.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180

Thanks for that work!

Glad to see you finally booked your exam :)

Magic you will pass I'm sure of it just read through the chapters that you feel like you battle with. Don't bother too much about IPv6 for the exam but I would recommend studying it after you have passed.
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    trXtrX Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone!

Just wanted to come introduce myself. I just started studying for my CCENT/CCNA. Just started a couple days ago using Odom's books and the online Quad Cert course from Infosec Institute.

So far I have gotten through 3 chapters watching the videos and then reading the book. Would like to take ICND1 by October and then ICND2 a couple months after that.
  • Options
    trX wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

Just wanted to come introduce myself. I just started studying for my CCENT/CCNA. Just started a couple days ago using Odom's books and the online Quad Cert course from Infosec Institute.

So far I have gotten through 3 chapters watching the videos and then reading the book. Would like to take ICND1 by October and then ICND2 a couple months after that.

Welcome! Make sure you come back with questions...thats the real value of TE.

Do you have prior network experience? I would not hesitate to start labbing in GNS3 pronto! It can be intimidating, not knowing what image file to use or what gear to set up in GNS3 but the sooner you get down to business in the there the sooner you will be learning. Labbing is vital to CCNA!