Options

CCNA Study Group

Comments

• Options
    palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi wgroom,I have a CCENT and am a bit confused about whether to take ICND2 or CCNA Voice.What all books and study materials do you have for CCNA Voice?Could u please inform me a bit about what is a better thing to do?Thanks in advance
  • Options
    mikeboumikebou Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Is there any kind of actual collaboration space for this yet? If not, I can see about settings up meetings through my work place, as this is just a fantastic idea.

I have a coworker or two who might be interested, and I'm pretty sure I could set up a meeting weekdays @ around 6pm. Phone conferenced, and screen sharing via webex. Let me know your interest level, and I'll gauge my ambition level to make it happen :)

Hey Ande0255,

Not sure what your time zone is. A conference sounds interesting but I would have to see how it would fit in with a West Australian time zone.

I have completed chapter 9 of the Cisco Press icnd1 book and reviewed the commands in the chapter. I then tested and tried them on a couple of simulators. It was a good refresher. Anyway, onto chapter 10. :)
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    I have begun watching the INE CCNA Voice video series, and must say I am enjoying them thoroughly! Registration is free, and the series is free. Combining this with the CCNA - V OCG and home lab should make the test very doable. At this point I am very excited to keep moving forward with my studies, and applying what I am learning to making me a better engineer. Also I treated myself yesterday to a nice metal bookmark from Barnes and Noble with the phrase from Winston Churchill "Never, never, never give up". Sometimes it is the small things that make a difference. Have a good day everyone, and best of luck with your studies.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I made a variation of the CBT Nuggets Lab, which Jeremy made for GNS3, with Packet Tracer. Planning to follow the videos, and configure the equipment, as per lab scenarios.
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I finished ch7 of Exploration II and I am starting Ch8 setting up OSPF.
    Also I finally set up GNS3 on my work computer. Configured a few basic networks.
    I plan on build a basic topology thats all wired so I can just do quick configurations during slow days.
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Going to lab ACLs today in packet tracer, feeling pretty comfortable with the material. I may go and take the test this Saturday depending on how I do on the practice tests from the Odom book.
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just wondering, some of you say you will go for the CCNA Security after taking the CCNA Routing & Switching, why not go for the CCNP Security instead after the CCNA R & S?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    danny069 wrote: »
    Just wondering, some of you say you will go for the CCNA Security after taking the CCNA Routing & Switching, why not go for the CCNP Security instead after the CCNA R & S?

For any CCNP certs the prerquisite is a valid CCNA cert for that track
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    God reviewing a book once you've already read it is pure soul destroying stuff. All that 'STOKEDISM' completely vanishes, you know the type when you first learn about dynamic routing or VLANs etc.

Just reviewing ipv6 then will be practice exams and then, all going well, exam on the 22nd!
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wrapped up Lammle's CCENT book and about to go back and do one more quick read through. I will also be going through Bryant's videos for some of the muddier subjects. I have Packet Tracer 6.0 and have been doing the labs in Lammle's book but I am not sure if they cover all of the exam objectives.. I wish there was a collection of lab examples to complete in order to ensure you are good to go for the actual exam.
  • Options
    oke so I have started a new job and been a bit busy booked my exam yesterday for 24th Jan to force myself to study harder. I will be finishing up tonight with chapter 21 Cisco licensing than start with Todd Lammle's book which I hope to have done by end of the week if all goes well which afterwards I want to push as much labs as possible.
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    mikeboumikebou Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I went through section 18 of Chris Bryant's video boot camp dealing with STP. I will go through it again tomorrow and sound it down a bit more. I practiced on PT and all seems pretty simple.

All the best to those of you who have booked to take the exam.
  • Options
    palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone advise me about some good simulators for ICND2?Are they free and easily available or do I have to buy them?
  • Options
    palit wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me about some good simulators for ICND2?Are they free and easily available or do I have to buy them?

Packet tracer is free but only if you are a netcad student and GNS3 is also free but you require an ios image which means you need to own a Cisco device to obtain an ios legally.
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome new to the new peeps that have joined in! Im sorry that I haven't posted lately, had a few interviews this week and another this friday. I've been concentrating (and kind of tearing my hair out) on them. Next week things should be back to normal. I really like whats going on here and I am glad that you all are still posting your updates and getting your study on. ande0255 thank you for offering to do some online collab! Google Hangouts might be another free option. I'll try to look into it once I can get a few things off my plate this week. I understand that most of you are trying to meet your goals of making your exam date but remember, retaining is everything. Even if you go at a slow pace (ahem *guilty) its better that you can recite things that aren't just only from memorization! I will try to get back on here asap with some pertinent information on my journey so far.

Hey, keep up the good work. Happy that you all are still hanging in there and taking on the challenge!

Take care!
  • Options
    Anyone else think CBT Nuggets coverage of ipv6 icnd1 is wholly inadequate?
  • Options
    I don't think so. I think I just got one question about IPv6 on the ICND1 exam. It might be different for you, so don't underestimate studying it.
  • Options
    Scoring pretty high on the tests that come with the Odom book going to do some more review and plan to take the CCENT this Saturday.
    2017 Goals:
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    I am guilty of not studying as much in the last few days. Things have been busy, and I have taken on some additional responsibilities at work. Going to watch an INE video this evening while doing some laundry. Keep moving forward all, it pays dividends.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    I don't think so. I think I just got one question about IPv6 on the ICND1 exam. It might be different for you, so don't underestimate studying it.

Just that Odom has 5 chapters on it, he goes through a LOT of stuff that Cioara doesn't even mention!
  • Options
    FINALLY finished my review of the book. Tbh ipv6 took the longest to review, everything else has pretty much sunk in. First practice exam tonight whilst the wife is out and the child is asleep. Bring it on!

*expects abject failure* lol
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This weekend I'm moving on to ACLs. I basically skipped this content during the semester because it was during finals. Now I have to pay the price and study it during the break! Got my discount code for CCENT now I need to decide when to schedule it.

Great progress everyone.
  • Options
    sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□

Yes.. I like to use his videos to go over the material before getting in-depth via the Odom book. I also like following along the videos and running through the labs in Packet Tracer.
  • Options
    FINALLY finished my review of the book. Tbh ipv6 took the longest to review, everything else has pretty much sunk in. First practice exam tonight whilst the wife is out and the child is asleep. Bring it on!

*expects abject failure* lol

755/1000 so a fail HOWEVER I'm not too disheartened. This is on the crappy Pearson ones and my word the questions are duff! Got a couple of questions that were totally TRICK, like one asking about an ACL and the explanation was 'routers don't apply ACLs from traffic generated by themselves' because the ping had come from the router lol!

I had three questions as well that were multiple choice and I only picked one answer (argh). Oh well!
  • Options
    mykeeemykeee Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just an update - passed the ICND1! I was really nervous last week and just went over the CBT Nugget videos and tried to lab as much as I could with Packet Tracer. Now I'm going to take a week off from studying (while I wait for Odom's ICND2 book to come in) but will begin studying for ICND2 next week. I'm planning on reading, watching the CBT Nuggets and labbing through Packet Tracer, same thing w/ ICND1.

Question regarding passing this test - I got the printout saying I passed, but I haven't gotten an email saying I passed and when I try to check online to make sure my results are 'valid' I get "exam results are not yet available...". How long does it usually take for my results to become 'valid'?
  • Options
    mykeee wrote: »
    Just an update - passed the ICND1! I was really nervous last week and just went over the CBT Nugget videos and tried to lab as much as I could with Packet Tracer. Now I'm going to take a week off from studying (while I wait for Odom's ICND2 book to come in) but will begin studying for ICND2 next week. I'm planning on reading, watching the CBT Nuggets and labbing through Packet Tracer, same thing w/ ICND1.

Question regarding passing this test - I got the printout saying I passed, but I haven't gotten an email saying I passed and when I try to check online to make sure my results are 'valid' I get "exam results are not yet available...". How long does it usually take for my results to become 'valid'?

Congrats on the pass dude, it normally takes 24 to 48 hours to receive the mail from Cisco.
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass mykeee!icon_thumright.gif

Just passed my CCENT exam as well!
    2017 Goals:
  • Options
    Here is a great free CCNA lab, that should cover all topics, for those of you with Packet Tracer: CCNA Packet Tracer Mega Lab

Enjoy!