Options

New to ITIL Foundation

maroofcmaroofc Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello

Ive been working in IT Support for over 7 years and am familiar with ITIL and its workings in the workplace, however I want to obtain a foundation certificate for now to back my experience up.

At this moment in time I just want to PASS, theres so many book recommendations, I would like to just stick to one , read it thoroughly and take the exam, alongside take some practise online tests, I see on eBay theres some Exam simulators available, but at this moment in time my brains dead with all the different posts and resources!

I came across Claires Essentials book, something like that is ideal, but again I see posts referring to that PLUS other books which makes it confusing icon_sad.gif

Any guidance would be much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi maroofc,

I've actually written 2 books to prep for the Foundation exam, to make it more confusing icon_smile.gif

ITIL Foundation Essentials is a pocket book with just the facts you need to pass the exam - perfect for someone like you with ITIL experience
    ITIL Lifecycle Essentials is a bigger book with everything you need for the exam plus all the bits that aren't on the Foundation syllabus, it's meant to support you as you work with ITIL after you've taken the exam too

Both books are fully assessed against the Foundation syllabus so you only need one to prepare, although it does seem some people like to buy a few. Any book you buy that is an official ITIL product (like mine) will have been assessed to get you ready for the exam.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Claire
  • Options
    maroofcmaroofc Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi maroofc, I've actually written 2 books to prep for the Foundation exam, to make it more confusing icon_smile.gif ITIL Foundation Essentials is a pocket book with just the facts you need to pass the exam - perfect for someone like you with ITIL experience ITIL Lifecycle Essentials is a bigger book with everything you need for the exam plus all the bits that aren't on the Foundation syllabus, it's meant to support you as you work with ITIL after you've taken the exam too Both books are fully assessed against the Foundation syllabus so you only need one to prepare, although it does seem some people like to buy a few. Any book you buy that is an official ITIL product (like mine) will have been assessed to get you ready for the exam. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif Claire
    Thanks VM Claire, will let you know how I get on!
  • Options
    wissam123wissam123 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    am gona buy the "ITIL Foundation Essentials" since its enough to pass the exam :D but i have couple of question, is it enough for 2011 & V3? and which one you advice?
    any other suggested books or site for quiz simulator or question? i heard about pas4sure from a friend what you think about it?
    moreover whats the exam code? is it ISEB-ITILF or BH0-006?
  • Options
    Hi wissam123,

2011 is the current version of ITIL - V3 has been retired. My book is aligned with the ITIL 2011 syllabus so you'll be right up to date. I'm not sure about exam codes - you can buy it direct from Loyalist Certification Services :: Loyalist Certification Services and that way you'll get the right version.

Good luck!

Claire
  • Options
    lelloz0lelloz0 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,
    I'm pursuing the ITIL Foundation certification too, since I'm in the ITSM for a while and i want to certificate what I do every day. Is this your pocket book? ITIL Foundation Handbook (Little ITIL) - 2011 Edition (Single Copies) i just bought it on amazon and start reading. Hope it will be straightforward to take and pass the exam :)
  • Options
    Hi lelloz0

The pocket book you've bought is the official ITIL publisher's one - I was on the author team so you have a chapter in there that was written by me icon_smile.gif

It will give you everything you need for the exam and it's very well put together, the other authors on the team were all excellent.

This is the book I wrote on my own: ITIL Foundation Essentials: The exam facts you need

but the book you've purchased will be all you need. Enjoy the reading and good luck with the exam, let us know how it goes!

Claire
  • Options
    shazbshazb Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire

I am also going for the exam could you please tell me the difference between ITIL Foundation V3 Or 2011 . I am not sure which version is updated or what is the difference between. and can you guide me which one is the best online training provider for the exam. Or just reading with the book we can pass the exam. How much is the course and the exam cost. How is the exam and how much study it required and as far question is it from your book or it is senario based.

And also where to give the exam online or prometric center. And after passing the exam should we receive any kind of ID which state that we are certified ITIL...

Please guide me with these info

Thanks
    shaz
  • Options
    Hi shazb,

You'll find most of this information on these boards, but here are a few quick answers:

ITIL 2011 is the latest version - an update to V3
    I'd say my company is the best online training provider icon_wink.gif - take a look around but make sure you choose an accredited company
    You can certainly pass the exam using a prep book - take a look around but again look for something official and approved - you could try my ITIL Lifecycle Essentials
    The course and exam cost varies from organisation to organisation
    The exam has a 96% pass rate globally so as long as you study you'll be fine - allow about 18 hours
    You can take the exam online or in a test centre, after you pass you'll get a certificate that confirms your certified status

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    Hi Claire

Thanks for your reply , I really appreciate it. I am just going to start ITIL Foundation so I need this info to take step forward.

I am going to buy your ITIL Lifecycle Essentials & ITIL Exam study guide by Liz Gallacher.

I hope it will help me to reach my goal...
    Regards
    shaz
  • Options
    Hi Shaz

Make sure you visit the ITIL official site too - you'll find the syllabus and a free sample exam paper. Good luck with your studies!

Claire
  • Options
    Hi Claire ....I purchased your and Liz books from Amazon. and now waiting for it.......meanwhile I downloaded the ITIL Foundation Syllabus and sample exam questions from their official website.....
  • Options
    I go through their syllabus and questions & answers also , in the answers they have given the reference like 4.3 ST , 6.5 SO etc....my question is from which book reference they use.... is there their own book for ITIL Foundation or it will be similar with the Syllabus of your ITIL Lifecycle Essential ,,,, I am just woundering if you can help me out with this question.
  • Options
    And also in learning Objectives .....Service management as a Practice ( Comprehension ). The ITIL service lifecycle (C). Generic Concept and definitions (Awareness)...Key Princiles and models(C)...Selected Processes (A)...Selected Functions(A)...Selected roles(A)...Technology and Architecture (A)...Competence and Training(A).
  • Options
    While watching out the youtube video I got the Modules like: 1) ITIL Lifecycle Stage 2) Service Strategy 3) Service Design 4) Service Transition 5) Service Operation Functions and Processes 6) Continual Service Improvements ..........
  • Options
    Ms Claire can you please help me with this all studying syllabus. Thanks
  • Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Uh.... dude are you for real? TechExams is such an invaluable forum for exam and career advice, but a lot of your questions have already been answered, or they're self-explanatory, or they're easily found with some initiative and Google-fu.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies, but I think you're coming across quite "dependent" to put it one way. If you are worried about passing the Foundations, don't. As others have said, the pass rate is something like 96%, and the training classes are 2-3 days. I personally only studied about 2-3 days and destroyed Foundation. This is not something that warrants a bunch of posts!

These are not the droids exams you are looking for.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    Hi shazb,

I would advise you to wait for your books to arrive and then study using those. The foundation syllabus is pointing you to the ITIL core volumes, but you don't need access to those to study for the exam - they would be way too much. Be wary of youtube videos as well, as many are inaccurate.

If you find you still have many questions after using the books, you might benefit from a training course - that way you can get all the support you need.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    InvensisLearningInvensisLearning Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ITIL Foundation Certification helps to understand basic knowledge of ITIL. It is also required to understand ITIL Framework. ITIL foundation certification is mandatory to take next ITIL certifications I.e ITIL Intermediate certifications
  • Options
    rahulserahulse Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI Claire ,

I tried finding the list of EXIN Accredited training centres but no gain could you please advise where may I find the list ?
  • Options
    You can find a list of Exin accredited training providers on this page: https://www.exin.com/NL/en/home/?target=trainer

Claire
  • Options
    ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    For ITIL you can get onlinne training. You can search online trainer.
  • Options
    Basavaraj waliBasavaraj wali Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

Myself Basavaraj, I have had an experience about 6 years in Mechanical stream. now I wanted to pursue my career in ITIL.
    would you suggest me on this. please have your words anything related to ITIL for beginner.

Regards
    Basavaraj
  • Options
    Hi Basavaraj

Start with this blog - Your ITIL Foundation Certification Questions Answered | ITSM Zone - and then if I can provide any further info just let me know.

Kind regards
    Claire
  • Options
    Hello claire, hope you are doing good.

Thank you very much for being so informative, going forward hope to be informed much about the ITIL from you . Thanks again

Regards
    Basavaraj
  • Options
    Hello Claire,

I would like to know about the job opportunities over ITIL certifications, one having certified with ITIL foundation is eligible enough to get into the organisation or any other skills required alongside.

Regards
    Basavaraj
  • Options
    Since I belong to the Non IT field I am little confused about this and I feel that this is an process of applying thoughts as per the industries service requirements on situation based.
  • Options
    Hi Basavaraj, ITIL Foundation can be a great entry level IT certification. If you're looking to move into IT from outside the field, having the certification might get you short-listed for interview, and it would also show potential employers that you're serious about making a move into IT. Many entry level IT jobs are in support (helpdesk) type roles. A good tip is to look at job listing forums for your area and see what kind of certifications employers are looking for. Good luck, Claire
  • Options
    Hi Claire,

Thank you for the information, currently I am working as a database administrator which is of handling incidents and database migration with the tool called Team-center . so I thought of enhancing my profile by getting into IT service management, hence I took the decision to move to IT. would you have any words on this

Regards
    Basavaraj
  • Options
    sr19sr19 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I checked *********** Sites and there are many ITIL Foundation papers. Anyone knows which one to Choose. I have registered for ITIL Foundation.
  • Options
    jamesmoore71jamesmoore71 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have recently taken the Itil exam not knowing it was updated to the 2011 version and failed the test...lots of questions I did not know or study for. Where can I go to get the correct information so I can take the updated exam....I am very disappointed I wasted so much time studying retired information...please help!