Options

Resume Review

coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
Afternoon all,

Looking for some constructive criticism of my resume before I put it on the market. Any and all is definitely appreciated. CB Tech Exams Resume.doc

A little history behind me, I landed my first gig as a contractor doing Desktop Support in August of last year. Contract has been extended twice now and I'm looking to move on to something just a little more stable so my target is the same position looking to move on to networking down the line. Currently studying for Net+ and taking A+ next month.
WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
Completion Date: May 2021

Comments

• Options
    ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IMO I'm not qualified to make suggestions to people's resume, but I figured I'd try. Perhaps people will agree with me as well.

First, I'd remove the first bullet point from your summary. People can tell you attend that community college when they move onto the education part. Then I'd get rid of all the other bullet points from your summary and make it a few sentence summary (2 ~ 3) so your resume isn't filled with bullet points.

I think your resume uses two different (if not more) types of font. Stick with a professional looking one.

I'd skip A+ if you had that much of experience in desktop support. People will just assume you have equivalent knowledge, and A+ will not contribute to you career wise at this point. Study Net+ to help you with CCENT/CCNA if that is your plan, but skip it altogether if it easy for you. Or take the exam it if you are almost done with your study, but CCNA will be a better value.

I'd get rid of Microsoft office products from your technical skills, along with Languages if you do not intend to use it (or if the skill is obtained merely from class work.) You want to steer your resume in the direction of networking jobs if that is where you want to go. What year of version did you use for exchange server and AD?

That is it from me; perhaps other people can assist you in the job descriptions. It does look like it needs to be cleaned up. If you have done any type of tasks that is related to networking, remove trivial tasks from your job description and put it there. Also, if you are in a good relation with people in networking administration department (or something similar), buy them a lunch and ask what they do, or ask if they have any input with your career direction. Perhaps that will lead to oppurtunities, whether it's simply being able to shadow them, or having them as a contact (who knows?)
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    All great points. I've used Exchange Server 2003 & more recently 2008.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021