Options

Online certificate vs onsite certificate?

dsamdsam Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi! I'm planning to take the ITIL exam, and i notice that you can take it either on an examination center or online.
Are the certificate the same exactly the same, or does it states "online" somewhere? Both are verifiable throught Axelos website?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    robSrobS Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I sat my V3 Service Operations (intermediate) exam in 2010 after studying with TheArtOfService through the CSME exam board. They allowed 2 forms of online exam:

1. Webcam-invigilated (you need a persistent connection to a remote invigilator/proctor)
    2. Online but invigilated by someone who is not a relation to you nor has a vested interest in you passing.

I did the second one and got a colleague to invigilate it for me.

I'm not sure about the foundation exam, but I've heard it's available from Prometric test centres, and you may find an exam board which permits the same online exams as described above.
  • Options
    dsamdsam Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks robS.
    In effect, i know about the proctored exam, i'm thinking to take it on Peoplecert.
    The question is particularly about the certificate.

They (Peoplecert) told me the certificate is the same, but i wanted to check here, just in case icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    The key thing seems to be the electronic record (referenced via your candidate number) with the relevant exam institute, rather than the certificate.

In order to sit MALC with QA/BCS I've had to provide the CSME candidate number for one of my intermediates and the APMG candidate number for my foundation. They didn't actually ask to see any certificate at all (at least not yet).

I'm able to order paper copies of any old certificate if required, but even recent onsite exams have been downloadable certificates only (paper copies for additional fee....) so as long as it's a recognised exam institute and you keep hold of your candidate number, it should make no difference.
  • Options
    Following the above, although the training provider said the candidate number and institute was sufficient, the BCS wanted scans of the actual certificates, so bear this in mind if you're switching EI's between exams.
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The exams are exactly the same and would be viewed no differently by an employer. The certificates don't state how you took the exam, just that you hold the qualification.

Claire