Options

ITIL-Foundation Passed! Thoughts on Exam & Book

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
Passed the ITIL-Foundation today. Glad to have this cert done! I have about 2 years of prior experience in an environment using ITIL principles so I was no stranger to it. I just find the material very dry. Overall I felt the exam was easy and I finished in 20 minutes. I studied during the month of February, about and hour or two a day during the weekdays.

I used ITIL Foundation Essentials by Claire Agutter. I think the book was great, however it was a tough study because as Claire says in the book, its a concise book with only what you need to know to pass the exam. That is actually a good thing as the book is basically like an outline of what you need to know and most everyone loves that. However I do not learn by reading notes/outlines and it is difficult for me to read that style of writing. Not sure why but I have to read actual paragraphs and sentences or it's just hard for me to actually take in what I'm reading and commit to memory. I had also bought ITIL Foundation Exam Study Guide by Liz Gallacher due to that reason, but I was not wanting to commit the time to study to read that book so I opted to push through and go short and sweet with Claire's book.

I read Claire's book twice and read a glossary from the online site for Liz' book. That ended up being enough for me to pass with an 85%. I'm happy. As I said, the test itself is easy. It has four answer choices and every question is multiple choice. Every question was clearly answered in Claire's book, so if you want to pass with minimal study time and effort, get Claire's book and read it multiple times, especially the day of your exam and you'll be good to go.

I have no desire to go further into the ITIL realm as the material isn't something that particularly interest me, nor would I use one of the advanced certs in my career going forward. I got the ITIL-Foundation because I've seen it listed in quite a few InfoSec job postings I went for, and because I do think having a basic understanding of ITIL is beneficial in any IT job.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Great review. I think the ITIL Foundation is well worth the study. These days I am reading more on the ITIL Service Operation. Congrats again.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    shazbshazb Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi JoJo
    Congrats on passing the ITIL foundation exam.

I notice you are ITIL certified. I am also going for the exam could you please tell me you took ITIL Foundation V3 Or 2011 . I am not sure which version is updated or what is the difference between. and can you guide me which one is the best online training provider for the exam. Or just reading with the book we can pass the exam. How much is the course and the exam cost.

And also where to give the exam online or prometric center. And after passing the exam should we receive any kind of ID which state that we are certified ITIL...

Please guide me with these info

Thanks
    shaz
  • Options
    Liz GallacherLiz Gallacher Member Posts: 107
    Hi Shazb,
    Please read through previous posts before asking questions like these. They have all been answered many times already. People are happy to help, but should not hav eto give the same answer over and over again.
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    shazb wrote: »
    Hi JoJo
    Congrats on passing the ITIL foundation exam.

I notice you are ITIL certified. I am also going for the exam could you please tell me you took ITIL Foundation V3 Or 2011 . I am not sure which version is updated or what is the difference between. and can you guide me which one is the best online training provider for the exam. Or just reading with the book we can pass the exam. How much is the course and the exam cost.

And also where to give the exam online or prometric center. And after passing the exam should we receive any kind of ID which state that we are certified ITIL...

Please guide me with these info

Thanks
    shaz

This guy is trolling....I have seen him in multiple post the same question. Admins delete him.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi JoJoCal19

Congratulations on the pass, and thanks for the book review icon_smile.gif It's great to hear people are using it and getting good results.

Claire
  • Options
    rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is it possible to pass this exam in 15 days? i am thinking of taking it since its easy and many employers prefer it. i also have a business degree which i think could help. Any thoughts :)
  • Options
    Hi rht,

The syllabus recommends 18 hours of study, and a typical classroom course is 3 days. If you've got the time to study for an hour or so a day across the 15 days then yes it's entirely feasible.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    sid4645sid4645 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,
    I joined recently to this blog. I live in India. Please can you guide me on ITIL v3 foundation exam. Many companies are asking this certification as an added advantage. Please can you guide me on which books to read. Is necessary to go for classroom coaching, or can it be done by self studying or online classes.

Regards
    Siddharth.
  • Options
    Hi Siddarth

If you have a look around this forum you'll find most of the information you need. In brief,

1) You can self-study - try the books I've written or the one by Liz Gallacher and Helen Morris which comes highly recommended
    2) Online or classroom training will be helpful and deliver extra benefit and understanding if you've got the budget for it
    3) You can take the exam online (proctored via webcam) or in a local test centre.

Good luck!

Claire
  • Options
    prpltechprpltech Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear Claire,

Can you please tell me if your book can be purchased in PDF format?
    I live in Spain and it costs too much to have it shipped here.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi prpltech

There is a kindle version available via Amazon if that would be suitable for you?

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    prpltechprpltech Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi prpltech

There is a kindle version available via Amazon if that would be suitable for you?

Kind regards

Claire

Hi Claire,

That should be fine -- however, I have not been able to find that version on Amazon...
    Do you have a direct link to it?

Thanks.
  • Options
    G.O.A.TG.O.A.T Member Posts: 138
    I also passed this recently (received my official results from EXIN yesterday), this exam is easy I think you could study and pass over a 2 day period. I just used a udemy course which I bought for £8. Took me two weeks but only because of other commitments, and tbh I did most of my studying 1 day before the exam.
  • Options
    Asus2015Asus2015 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey there,

i will be doing this exam end of the next week, dont you get your answer straight after the exam? or do they email you result?
  • Options
    Asus2015Asus2015 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    G.O.A.T wrote: »
    I also passed this recently (received my official results from EXIN yesterday), this exam is easy I think you could study and pass over a 2 day period. I just used a udemy course which I bought for £8. Took me two weeks but only because of other commitments, and tbh I did most of my studying 1 day before the exam.

hy Goat,

what studying material you used to study?
  • Options
    Liz GallacherLiz Gallacher Member Posts: 107
    If you sit the exam online, the results are available immediately, paper-based exams have to be sent for marking, and may take a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    mino.kurucmino.kuruc Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,

Your book is fantastic. I passed the ITIL Foundation exam today and your book was the only source of information I had. It was very easy reading for me since I work in IT operations, but you've done a great job in putting this book together.

Thank you!
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats well done.. When i passed this exam i did a 3 day boot camp and took the test at the end. I barely passed but then again i found the material very dry.