Traveling abroad to Australia (Sydney)

2»

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yep, that'll be right. But you wont see the money till you grow old (while living here) or you leave for good.

Also it's a very good idea to keep the same superannuation fund for each contract you do while you are here. You dont want to be slugged with different sets of fees. Australian Super is the default for many employers, of course you can choose any fund you like. Probably easier to just go with the default fund your first employer will use.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    Essendon wrote: »
    You can apply for the TFN (the Tax File Number) the moment you land, really. These days I hear you get a number instantly, so no problems there.

Like stryder said, Safe travels mate! Let us know when you get here, yeah?

I've arrived for about a week and a half. Filed for my TFN last Friday. Hopefully I get it soon. I've had a wonderful time so far and met some awesome people. I've yet to meet any douchey people (which is great!). I'm currently living in Marsfield near Macquarie University (5-10 minute walk) with an older couple in a house. It's quite isolated from most things, but everything is a bus ride away.

Going to begin job hunting tommorow. Should I apply for jobs before I have my TFN? Should I apply for jobs on sites like seek, gumtree, mycareer? I plan to go to agencies as that seems to be the easiest way. Should I e-mail them or should I go to the building itself and hand in my resume?

The agencies I've had in mind so far are:
    Hayes
    Graythorn
    DWS(?)

Let me know if there are any more

Thanks!
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    Sydney has a lot of competition and is top destination for backpackers on a WHV.
    Customer Service, Construction and Waitress work etc can be hard to find and are often underpaid.

6 months is still a limitation.

However, I wouldn't have too high expectations for a huge network job unless you are looking for sponsorship by your future employer or you find project work (roll outs etc).

Canberra has a lot of IT jobs.

Wait till you have your TFN and everything else ready otherwise you will be promised call backs which never take place.

1st Level Help Desk, Canberra - $23 AUD ph inc super

LAMP stack admin, Sydney - up to $70 AUD ph inc super

"Platform and Infrastructure Support Officer role" (basically server support for the government) $70 AUD ph inc super.

applydirect.com.au
    gumtree.com.au
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
    Glad you've had a good time so far! I'd apply for jobs even if you dont have your TFN mate. You dont know when your going to land a job anyway, so why not get started today. Just dont tell anyone you havent got a TFN, if asked just say you have applied for one and should have it in a day or two. No big deal, employers can wait a few days for it. You supply them the TFN when a written job offer's been made. So apply now, dont wait.

Apply everywhere, go for broke! If you look at some of the initial posts I made to this thread I did supply some company names. Apply direct and make SURE you follow up, ring them a day or two after you've submitted your resume and ask to speak to someone who may be looking after that position. Establish contact with as many recruiters as you can (again look at the list I supplied initially). Hudson seem to have a fair few jobs on the go at all times too.

It might also make sense to have your resume critiqued here on TE or you can send it to me directly so I can tailor it to suit our job market (not much different to the resume style in the US). Good luck!

Oh and Canberra may appear to have IT jobs but they are mostly defence contract jobs, ones you wont get for obvious citizenship reasons. I wouldnt worry about Canberra at all if I were you mate.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Glad you've had a good time so far! I'd apply for jobs even if you dont have your TFN mate. You dont know when your going to land a job anyway, so why not get started today. Just dont tell anyone you havent got a TFN, if asked just say you have applied for one and should have it in a day or two. No big deal, employers can wait a few days for it. You supply them the TFN when a written job offer's been made. So apply now, dont wait.

Apply everywhere, go for broke! If you look at some of the initial posts I made to this thread I did supply some company names. Apply direct and make SURE you follow up, ring them a day or two after you've submitted your resume and ask to speak to someone who may be looking after that position. Establish contact with as many recruiters as you can (again look at the list I supplied initially). Hudson seem to have a fair few jobs on the go at all times too.

It might also make sense to have your resume critiqued here on TE or you can send it to me directly so I can tailor it to suit our job market (not much different to the resume style in the US). Good luck!

Oh and Canberra may appear to have IT jobs but they are mostly defence contract jobs, ones you wont get for obvious citizenship reasons. I wouldnt worry about Canberra at all if I were you mate.

Thanks a lot man. I've attached my dummy resume to this post. Please critique!

Dummy_Resume.doc

Based on my resume, I'm looking at higher level desktop support/low level desktop engineer. Ideally I want to get into networking, so a junior networking role would be pretty cool. I don't see many of these job postings however.

Thanks man!
    Bring up my post
    You have good experience mate, but I would definitely look at beefing it up. It looks quite threadbare, for instance instead of just saying Group Policy/Domain Access Control mangement - tell me what you did with it? Did you just add people to security groups so they could get a GPO or did you actually create and troubleshoot them? Similarly, tell me what magic you did with shell scripting. Software lifecycle planning, again what did you do? Do the same for every bullet point. As a hiring resource, I would like to see what you did with something. Honestly, currently it just looks like you've hurriedly put search terms together and strung up this resume. In addition, there's tons of wasted white space, decrease the margins, bring the various bullets closer together.

I may have come across as a little brutal with the critique, but I want you to succeed in your adventure to our country mate! So please follow the above advice and come up with a brilliant resume!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Oh and get the VCP sooner rather than later. Would definitely give you an edge mate.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

You have good experience mate, but I would definitely look at beefing it up. It looks quite threadbare, for instance instead of just saying Group Policy/Domain Access Control mangement - tell me what you did with it? Did you just add people to security groups so they could get a GPO or did you actually create and troubleshoot them? Similarly, tell me what magic you did with shell scripting. Software lifecycle planning, again what did you do? Do the same for every bullet point. As a hiring resource, I would like to see what you did with something. Honestly, currently it just looks like you've hurriedly put search terms together and strung up this resume. In addition, there's tons of wasted white space, decrease the margins, bring the various bullets closer together.

I may have come across as a little brutal with the critique, but I want you to succeed in your adventure to our country mate! So please follow the above advice and come up with a brilliant resume!
    Yea thanks. I had a previous critique my resume thread and people suggested those terms instead of my more elaborate bullets. Also reconsidering VCP because it now has a 2 year expiration period which I'm not sure if I can keep up with if I'm not in that particular field. Not 100% sure where I want my career to go, but networking seems like a solid choice and I've already got my CCNA.

Here is the original thread

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/92360-another-critique-my-resume-thread.html

It also occurs to me that I need a cover letter. Is there any particular format Aussie's use that would be different from US?

THanks
    Sorry didnt notice you had posted your latest post to this thread. I'd beef up that resume, for sure. Resumes and cover letters are the same as you'd have in the US, nothing's different.

Anyways, how are you doing in Sydney? Found a place to live in and work at yet?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Sorry didnt notice you had posted your latest post to this thread. I'd beef up that resume, for sure. Resumes and cover letters are the same as you'd have in the US, nothing's different.Anyways, how are you doing in Sydney? Found a place to live in and work at yet?
    Hey there, here is my updated resume

dummy res.doc

I'm currently living in Glebe after a short stint at Marrickville and Ryde. Ryde ended up being extremely boring and suburban. I looked around and settled in Glebe. Glebe is more urban and is a 20 minute bus ride to CBD and is more my type of vibe.I haven't been searching hardcore for a job yet, but I've spoken to a few people and I'm told the market isn't as great as I previously thought. I also don't think that I''ll get the wages according to the salary guides. Realistically I'm looking at 30-35 although I did speak to someone who had a Desktop Engineer position in the 40 range, but those are few and far in between. Whereas Desktop Support roles are a lot more common paying 25-35. I'm not hurting for money and am willing to hold out for a job that peaks my interest as I DO want to develop technically while in my role. I haven't even applied to helpdesk jobs at all as I think that is a major step backwards.

What are your thoughts?

dummy cover.doc

edit: attached cover letter
    Glad you've found a spot! Yeah Glebe's just 3 k's or something from the CBD, but the rent must be atrocious there! But then your close to everything too. Ryde is quite boring, I agree.

As for jobs, I guess it depends on who you speak to and what kind of work your looking for. The other thing is half the jobs arent advertised and are filled by people that know someone. So network as much as possible, get your resume out as much as possible and talk to recruiters or ring up companies that interest you. There are a lot more jobs in Sydney than there are in Melbourne, that's for sure. My company has a presence in Sydney (though not as big as here), I'll see if they are looking for new resources.

As for the resume, like I said - beef it up mate. Just having configured network devices doesnt tell me whether you configured home-grade Netcomm modems or Cisco 7000's. Elaborate as much as you can, without going overboard. Based on the current state of your resume, I'd be inclined to hire you for a helpdesk kinda role rather than anything else - for the simple reason that you are not selling yourself well.

A company called Nutanix is on the lookout for a System Reliability Engineer at Sydney > Current Openings | Nutanix
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

So your 5-6 months in now, settled in I guess? How are you going, found decent work yet mate?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    So your 5-6 months in now, settled in I guess? How are you going, found decent work yet mate?

Glad to know to know that if I ever make my way over to kangaroo country that I can count on Ess to follow up and ensure I'm making my way. I'd +1 you but I'm still in a cool off period after +1ing your VCDX post.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    Any time mate, always willing to help.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..