Options

ITIL experience with out technical knowlege - is it worth?

Vamsi KVamsi K Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear Members,

I have total 6 years of experience worked in different roles such as Incident lead, Anchor for Problem and change management and I have knowledge on release on configuration management also. I have worked extensively in the field of Incident and change management. My quallification is MBA and I do not have technical experience, all I am doing is PMO related work. I have also completed few internal certifications on servce desk, incident, problem and change Management, also completed internal certification on Project Management.

My questions

1. Is the experience only in ITIL without technical experience will fetch jobs?
2. Are internal certifications considered in the market when I try for new job?

Thanks,
Vamsi.

Comments

• Options
    Dear Members,

Please advise on the career options with ITIL experience with out technical back ground.

Thanks,
    Vamsi.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Vamsi K wrote: »
    1. Is the experience only in ITIL without technical experience will fetch jobs?
    2. Are internal certifications considered in the market when I try for new job?
    Hello and welcome to the TE forums.

ITIL is not geared towards technical staff and the certification applies to many different non-technical domains in service management. So yes - you can do the ITIL certification without much trouble. As to whether it will fetch jobs, it is not necessarily a certification that an employer would seek directly. Generally speaking, extremely few employers hire based solely on a candidate's certification.

As for internal certifications, that is highly dependent on the industry sector and geography. But I suspect that internal certifications are discounted since a hiring employer would have no knowledge of the criteria to obtain such certifications.
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Vamsi

It's always good to search job forums for the type of role you would like - what qualifications and experience do they want? That way you can focus your efforts in your current role if you need to gain any additional experience.

Internal certifications as Paul says can be of of less value, but if you can back them up with experience then employers may be interested.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    Thanq Paul and Claire!!

Most of my concerns are addressed with your answers.

Can you suggest me few good job portals, if any, exclusively looking for ITIL experience. It would be a great help for me.

Thanks,
    Vamsi.
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Vamsi

It may depend on what country you're in, but in the UK jobserve.com is very popular for IT and ITSM jobs.

Claire