SSCP Pass

brooklynzoo81brooklynzoo81 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all.

Just got home after passing the SSCP today. I'm glad its over, and that i passed of course lol. I just got into the security field a year and a half ago as an Analyst. Before that i was doing desktop support for 9 years. The study material i used was "SSCP Systems Security Certified Practitioner All-in-One Exam Guide, Second Edition 2nd Edition" By Darril Gibson. As well as videos found online. As for the book i used i really felt it was only a foundation book and nothing more. I felt very angry after for the first 15 to 20 questions which were not at all covered in this book. I would recommend using another book, or the one that (ISC)2 recommends. The work experience i have had so far really paid off for a few questions i got hit with.

Next up for me is to better enhance my linux knowledge, which is on noob status. I was really excited to start with linux mint, but will now have to put that on hold due to recent events :/

Comments

• TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Congrats on the pass! however you shouldn't use the SSCP designation yet - not until you're endorsed. I've passed CISM, but can't use the credential until I have been fully certified... some organisations can be very funny about this stuff.

I've said that Darrils book is out of date, good nonetheless, but the exam bore no resemblance to the way the questions were asked in the exam.

I've also stated it is perhaps the hardest "basic" exam for Infosec, except for GSEC maybe :)

Kudos, I have a great deal of respect for this designation!
  • ecuisonecuison Member Posts: 131 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I wish I should have pulled the trigger years ago on getting the SSCP.
    Accomplishments: B.S. - Business (Information Management) | CISSP | CCSP | TOGAF v9.2 Certified | Security + | Network +
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!! Linux Academy is great with the videos! They also supply notes for different certifications. The best part is that they have labs that you can SSH into :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Congrats on passing the SSCP, and welcome to the club of SSCP holders!
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass! It was definitely a tough test. I agree about Darril's book. My test was based on the previous version of the test. While his book did follow the objectives closely, it didn't go deep enough. I'm really glad that someone recommended that I study a CASP guide. That made a lot of difference.

As Tongy said, definitely do not say that you have earned the SSCP certification (or any certification, for that matter) until you have certificate in hand.
  • brooklynzoo81brooklynzoo81 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the comments and support. Yes i do realize the SSCP is not official until you get through the process of endorsement and so on. What can i say i just had a burst of excitement for the moment, lol.
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Thank you all for the comments and support. Yes i do realize the SSCP is not official until you get through the process of endorsement and so on. What can i say i just had a burst of excitement for the moment, lol.

I was similar to you, but didn't want to jeopardise something I'd worked hard to achieve taken from me on a technicality!

I say again, kudos. Very little material out there for this one, far less than CISSP!