Options

Micronics Zero to Hero Security Course

Comments

• Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the write-up Iris! You convinced me to take this course, I'll start March 12th. I signed up through IPexpert and also did their yearly pass since I get 5k for my training budget.

I'm looking forward to starting! I will miss 2 week classes due to me being out of the country, but I'm sure I can watch them afterwards and catch up.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Awesome. You'll definitely enjoy the class.

I'm having fun building out my own topology now that the class is winding down. Last week's class was all about how to build your own virtualized lab. Prior to now, I had a lab but I got some good ideas on how to optimize it. This is the new topology:

I still have some room left over on the server even with all the up and running:

I'll probably add vCenter and Nexus 1000v next. I'm definitely looking to keep my skills sharp and play around with some different stuff after the class. :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Did the class go over anything with the WLC? That's the one thing I don't have, maybe I'll pickup a cheap used one for labs.

Do you think the 5506-x is worth it over the ASAv + NGIPS?

• Options
    Yes, the 5506-X will have the ASA features + the NGIPS features and it's cheaper in general. You can easily get eval licenses for the NGIPS features off Cisco if you want to.

As far as the WLC, we didn't spend much time on it but the configuration for the purposes of dot1x, CWA and profiling are in the lab workbooks we were given
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    jelexyjelexy Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Iris,

Thanks for keep updating this thread. What make and model of server are you using for your home virtual LAB ?
  • Options
    C220 M3 with 2x 6-core procs, 128GB RAM and a bunch of hard drives. Not plausible for all people with all things considered but it does the job for me.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    We did a class last week on building our own security lab. I've already built mine for other purposes entirely but here's the instructors suggestions based on the notes I took:
    Attachment not found.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    jelexyjelexy Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We did a class last week on building our own security lab. I've already built mine for other purposes entirely but here's the instructors suggestions based on the notes I took:
    Attachment not found.

The topology Link you posted above doesn't work!
  • Options
    It's not a topology but try this: https://app.box.com/s/w7geqvpjlakyksh4x0c5xg5pjh230ow7
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Thanks Iris, the complaint I had with the new series is that you lose some switching features. I may try and see if I can bring home a device from my work for testing.

• Options
    BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to take the class starting on March 12th. Your thread makes it seem really worth it. I have a current ccna sec, the CCNP Route exam passed (1/3 of ccnp route/switch) and the SISAS course passed (1/4 ccnp sec) as I use ISE at work already and that one was easy... I am about to start working with ASAs a lot more at work so this class should help it seems. My goal is to become a CCIE Sec one day anyways, so I'll start with this class.
  • Options
    iseeyouiseeyou Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□

lovely detail
    what do u think about cloud subscription
  • Options
    I purchased the course. We are starting tomorrow.
  • Options
    iseeyou wrote: »
    lovely detail
    what do u think about cloud subscription

Cloud subscription of what?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    BuhRock wrote: »
    I purchased the course. We are starting tomorrow.

Good luck! You should get the workbooks soon if Janet hasn't already sent them to you
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    BuhRock I'm in that class too! I just got the webex invite earlier.

• Options
    Since there are a couple of you guys starting the class, here's some protips for how I got the most out of the class:
    - Attend the live class so you can ask questions as you go but don't bother with note during the live class. Piotr is fast and it's best to let him be fast because you get a recording of the class as soon as the class ends for the day.
    - Rewatch the class during the week. Usually I would watch 1 hour of the recording a day and take a LOT of crazy notes during that time. After you watch your hour, work on the tasks for the week (usually they aren't too hard or long), and THEN work on the lab workbooks. The lab workbooks are crazy long so there's no way you can get them all done in a week or two. Don't stress that you won't. You have four months
    - The ASA and router tasks in the workbooks can all be done in VIRL or with some eval versions of the ASAv and CSR1000v. If you start getting deep into the class where you're at the Firepower, ISE, WSA, ESA tasks, don't waste your lab time on the stuff you can spin up for free or fairly cheap.
    - If you bought the class through IPX, you got the Micronics workbooks along with the IPX workbooks. I bought the IPX workbooks for Security during their Black Friday sale so I know it's going to include the Technology workbook and 5 Mock Lab workbooks at IPX. I would recommend saving these for last when the class is over.
    - As far as the Micronics workbooks, you should get the following:
    Mastering ASA Firewall (349 Pages) - I recommend using GNS3, VIRL or ASAvs to run these topologies. It's a good workbook but if you find the class moving on before you get a chance to get through this workbook, you'll be fine labbing this one your own after the class
    Cisco Firepower Workbook (114 Pages) - This is a pretty easy workbook. I would suggest getting through this a couple times unless you have access to a Firepower device outside of the class, I would take advantage of the lab time with this equipment.
    Micronic's CCIE Security v4 Lab Workbook Vol 1 (1029 Pages) - This lab workbook covers ASAs, VPN (EasyVPN, IOS-ASA VPN, DMVPMN, GETVPN, etc), Remote Access VPN, and Advanced VPN features. A lot of these features and equipment can be virtualized so I wouldn't stress too much if you don't get all the way through this lab workbook by the end of the class.
    Micronic's CCIE Security v4 Lab Workbook Vol 2 (409 Pages) - This lab workbook covers the old IPS, WSA, and ACS. You might have to buy an old IPS if you are serious about going for the v4 CCIE security lab or you can just wait for the new one and skip that aspect. There are demo licenses you can grab for the WSA after the class on your own. Not sure about the ACS but a lot of the ACS features are covered in ISE as well. Lots of the same features and functionality in ISE t
    Micronic's CCIE Security v4 Lab Workbook Vol 3 (507 Pages) - This workbook goes through ISE, IOS security, and network attacks. I would definitely go through this one while having access to the full lab. You can do a good part of it in your own lab but the size of the topology you have in the lab is useful for this workbook

Good luck and I hope this helps!

-
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips! I do have a question though you mentioned not wasting the lab time, don't you get unlimited lab time for this?
    • 16 Weeks - 24 x 7, of FREE CCIE Security Online Rack Access :: Your own DEDICATED rack

• Options
    Yep. You do. I'm more talking about priority of things to get done. 4 months might seem like a lot but when you factor in work, life, re-watching the videos, and thousands of pages of lab guides, it's really not that much time :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    So on a scale of 1-10, how well do you think the class prepared you for the ccnp sec exams?
  • Options
    I have no idea... I am not taking the CCNP Security exam. I think a lot of the content was probably above it to be honest. A lot of the curriculum was really about getting up to a CCIE-written level but at the same time, a lot of what is being taught is stuff that's beyond the CCIE Security blueprint because it's really close to getting refreshed and they don't want to give you stale knowledge
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Today was the first day of class and probably the easiest day. How did it go for you guys that signed up?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    The silence is deafening. Poor guys, probably just realised what they got themselves into :)
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Nawww... By week 2 or 3, they'll have realize what they got themselves into. Week 1 is just ASA overview, packet flow, etc. Week 2 is NAT types, configuration, troubleshooting, etc.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    So far so good! First week went well, but it wasn't anything too crazy.. looking forward to getting in some of the new technolgoies

• Options
    Cool. I just started my rewatch of last week's class. When I'm done with my notes, I'll hook you up, Nelson
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Thank you! I'm starting to re-watch this weeks class and taking some as well.

• Options
    How long did it take to get the workbooks and the labs setup for your class? I guess I'm just getting anxious haha, not too much to go over on the first week.

• Options
    I did actually learn a few things in the first class. Was a good refresher too. We haven't got our lab credentials yet, so I'm really excited for that. I figured he would have sent them by now?
  • Options
    I ran into an issue with IPexpert billing, and thanks to iris for all your help! I think it's all squared away now, I had to dispute the charge with IPexpert, and then I went and paid Micronics directly, and since I got the extra training through IPexpert which brought my total to 5k, I was able to work with micronics and get their CCIE Security bootcamp in September plus this course for 5k so I kept the total the same!

Sounds like there was an issue with the lab, physically, so Narbik is going to take a look. Week 2 is underway and NAT/PAT/DNAT etc.. I'm not super excited that pre 8.3 is still on the CCIE Security lab but I'm learning a lot more about that through this! So far this course has exceeded my expectations and I'm looking forward to the next 14 weeks