Failed CASP

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
Well, failed it, first attempt so far. I thought the exam was pretty brutal.

You just get a Pass or Fail, no score.

I watched all the Cybrary videos, watched the entire Skillport series, and read the Sybex book. I also had a New Horizons boot camp.

The New Horizons boot camp included virtual labs and I did all of those, and I thought they were pretty good. I was passing the Skillport & Sybex practice exams with ease.

I feel like none of those resources prepped me well at all, I think I am going to take some time before I reattempt. For example I had multiple questions on Linux and SQL, and i feel like all of those resources I had more or less just touched on Linux.

I actually might study Linux+ before reattempting the CASP. I did really like the testing format, some good labs, very tough questions, and drag and drop questions. Nice mix up from the normal CompTIA tests.

i think I will take some lower level stuff to brush up, then get the Pearson CASP book and try again, but probably 6 months to a year from now. I felt very prepared going in, but about 2 questions deep, I realized I was not prepared. It really sucks to fail, and I felt like crap all day yesterday, but if I had squeaked out a pass, I wouldn't have felt like I earned it. I would have known I just passed by guessing at random stuff. I felt strong on the Network Security firewalls, etc, but my Linux game and storage skills are weak.
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ugh. Sorry to hear man. I am hoping to get a pass on it soon. I've heard its brutal. Any other tips?
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    memorize those dumb formulas, like ALE = SLE × ARO, SLE = AV × EF

lots of web related stuff, like SOAP, XACML, etc.

They probably have a large test pool, but mine seemed heavy on web stuff and linux stuff, which were my weaker areas. I was hoping for more about firewalls, cryptography, social engineering, etc

i had multiple questions that I felt like had 2 answers that were right and you had to pick the "BEST" one, so those are always tricky
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For those questions that you think there are 2 right answers you need to read the question again and again and look for the keyword that makes the difference. People always mess those questions because they get stuck with the idea that both answers are correct or right. You need to forget about the 2 answers that seem right, focus on picking 1.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear Mike-Mike, you'll definitely get it next time. This is the book I used:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789754010/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1118083199&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QW5ASDMTSX7F45G3VY5
    I thought the book was good, I can't speak for the Sybex book. The CASP was definitely one of the hardest exams I ever took. I flagged about 90% of questions and went over the whole exam at least three times, and spent a lot of time on the sims. The end doesn't let you know what you did weak on as well, which is tough. I don't really like the skillport series. Good news is, you saw what was on the exam and you know what to study more of.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that. Good luck for next time!
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to read about this. To me, the exam was brutal as they hit you with the simulation questions first. Suggest you do the MCQ questions first to lock in some points. Then focus on the simulations.

I used the Sybex book together with the exam outline. The suggested lab exercises were useful.

Hope you nail it next time.
    yeah, i think that Pearson book is probably better, probably gonna pick that up
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • WessenSWessenS Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Failed as well. Took the test this February... it is indeed brutal.
    I underestimated this test as i did not choose to push the scheduled date as i haven't finished the book!
    I have a lot of IT experience but not much in security. I do have Sec+ and A+.

I used the following materials:
    - Sybex CAS-002 (Got half way simply had no time)
    - Cybrary videos (Watched twice some videos 3x)
    - Practice tests (Always scored over half)

I've been studying on and off for months probably around four. So i chose a date and stood by it.
    I even requested another shift just to study! and wasn't given so.
    I did four months on and off and stood by it because i was going to take my CEH in nov. which i studied hard for.
    but then i was told they changed the exam to V9 and removed the old version right away. So i paused it and attempted CASP.
    I was pissed at CEH for upgrading without keeping the old version as the V9 has no books until april!

The exam had a lot of questions i could not recall in my book. A bunch of storage/network/cloud questions and scenario based stuff.
    I had to read some questions three times! it was a pain. I probably had 18mins left but chose to end it. next time ill use the whole time
    and go through them again and again. I'll probably take a break as i miss gaming and doing personal stuff. I'll probably try again in May.

Good Luck all! farewell buckaroos used for the test! hehe

- Wess
    WessenS wrote: »
    I had to read some questions three times! it was a pain. I probably had 18mins left but chose to end it. next time ill use the whole time
    and go through them again and again.

- Wess

I almost never use much time, I just have always taken tests very quickly, but on the CASP, I definitely cut it towards the end of my allowed itme
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry to hear about the exam icon_sad.gif But I think after some more prepping you will knock it out of the park! How did you like the part where it says pass/fail no score set. What did the score sheet look like?
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mike7 wrote: »
    Sorry to read about this. To me, the exam was brutal as they hit you with the simulation questions first. Suggest you do the MCQ questions first to lock in some points. Then focus on the simulations.

I used the Sybex book together with the exam outline. The suggested lab exercises were useful.

Hope you nail it next time.

This was my strategy as well. Skip all sims and focus on multiple choice and come back to the sims at the end and sims are weighted heavily as well.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sorry to hear about the exam icon_sad.gif But I think after some more prepping you will knock it out of the park! How did you like the part where it says pass/fail no score set. What did the score sheet look like?
    My pass sheet does not have a score but it indicates the ten sections that I am weak in.
  • GRODTGRODT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You'll get it next time.

I passed on 2/26/2016.

1) I sat through the Fedvte training.
    2) Read the entire Mcmillian book and scored no less than 7/10 on the end of chapter quizzes.
    3) I did VCE practice questions and scored between 90-100% on each and configured my VCE reader to store the questions I got wrong more than once and I went back and retested on those.
    4) I took the 5 day course at Infotec in Newport News VA, they had the same practice questions.
    5) Watched Cybrary videos on the areas I was weAk in.
    6) I went over highlighted areas in my Mcmillian book and end of chapter quizzes again.

Took the exam.
    Which VCEs are you talking about?
    What practice exams did you use GRODT?
  • WessenSWessenS Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After already taking three other CompTIA exams, i knew the score would be shown right after the 12/12 Survey questions.
    Once i was about to submit the survey knowing the Pass or Fail would appear in the next screen, i'd look down nervously... then look up slowly and saw a "Sorry you must study more blah blah you have Failed". Then i sighed...... = (

I wrote everything down that i could remember. It's either dive right into reviewing now and take it again, or take a break.
    I've stopped a lot of personal stuff for two months just to study. i'll try again by the end of April.

Thanks for the input all.

- Wess
    WessenS wrote: »
    It's either dive right into reviewing now and take it again, or take a break.

I'm definitely waiting awhile before I retake it, $414 is a lot of dough for a cert that may or may not have any ROI.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Mike-Mike, there are 10% off coupons out there that you can use.
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I'm definitely waiting awhile before I retake it, $414 is a lot of dough for a cert that may or may not have any ROI.
    I bought a voucher online for $340 I think.
  • diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    memorize those dumb formulas, like ALE = SLE × ARO, SLE = AV × EF

Better than memorise, understand them. It's easier to remember if you understand, and easier to apply, which is what questions ask for, and get you out of those tricky ones.

Also, with the questions that seem like 2 answers are right, often it means carefully re-reading the questions and answers. The rule of thumb is to go with the more "managerial, administrative, strategic, business oriented" answer over the more technical one.

I'd recommend covering all the bases on basics, too. It is very useful to understand MS Server, Web, Linux, Firewalls, Networking, etc etc etc

I found the CEH useful for the attack types kind of questions. Cisco CCNA R+S or Security covers the firewall stuff fairly well. The Security+ and Network+ are kind of givens for this test.

The two CASP (the Pearson one and the Sybex) books aren't great. I found another book which is quite a bit better, but goes into more depth than the CASP needs (it's actually on the CISM reading list): Information Security The Complete Reference, 2nd Edition by Mark Rhodes-Ousley

The other thing to consider is that there is a lot of overlap with (ISC)2 SSCP, which is kind of 'junior' CISSP. So if you preferred, you could get that instead.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM