Passed Security +

greatbam22greatbam22 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I am kind of new to this site but just thought I would share my experience. I passed my Security +. I re certified because I have talked with a few recruiters recently and they stated that for a bunch of different government jobs like you to have it.

I had it before back in 2011 and let it lapse because I didn't really think I would need it. So I felt like I could pass it relatively quickly but I reviewed quite a bunch before taking it though which I think was a really good idea.

I bought Darrell Gibson test review for $30 from his website. It was a decent test prep but it seemed like the test questions were more specific. His practical questions were really good though.

I went through the security + course on CBT nuggets in less than a week as well and thought it was a good course.

I got a 780 so passed it by a few extra. I honestly wasn't sure how I would do throughout the test because most of the questions on the test seems far more detailed than on the practice test. I took my time though through the test. I used up 99.99% of the allotted time to finish (I was a bit nervous though I think mostly because I didn't want to screw up and have to spend another $270 on another test!)

Anyhow If you are looking for a quick and cheap solution to passing security plus.

1. Free 1 week trial with CBT nuggets.
2. Darrell Gibson practice test questions.

When I first went though one of the test banks of questions I slogged it through continuously through the 200+ questions. That was pretty arduous!

The next time I did it I would just do 10 minute increments and see how many I could knock out in 10 minutes and then give myself a break. I did this quite a few times. It was definitely a better method.

I think it helped me get through the test in a quick enough period of time.

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats and welcome to the board!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • sheikysheiky Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
  • techtiatechtia Member Posts: 144
    How does CBT Nuggets compare to the free content offered by Professor Messer?

I want to use the free CBT Nuggets trial wisely so if the content is similar I'll hold off for another certificate to use CBTN
  • greatbam22greatbam22 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    techtia wrote: »
    How does CBT Nuggets compare to the free content offered by Professor Messer?

I want to use the free CBT Nuggets trial wisely so if the content is similar I'll hold off for another certificate to use CBTN

Sorry but I have never used Professor Messer before so I cannot comment. I can say that the only content that I utilized from CBT Nuggets were the videos.

I liked that I could watch them at 2x speed and place bookmarks to go back and review.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • PsydroxPsydrox Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Is it true you should do Network+ first?
  • Cerebro 2.0Cerebro 2.0 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats :)
    ITIL SO [In progress]
    Prince 2 Foundation [In progress]
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Psydrox wrote: »
    Congrats! Is it true you should do Network+ first?

Typically it is usually recommended since it's good to know the networking basics. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't earn Network+ before earning Security+. However, I did take some online networking classes before starting Security+. I don't think it's really necessary to get the Network+ certification first unless it'll help you with your job or unless your job requires it. The knowledge is a good, however, and it'll help when preparing for Security+.
  • User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Yep, CBT Nuggets for 401 is the way to do it.
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer