Cheap Nexus Switch

theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
Is there such a thing? I looked up one that was shown in the DCICN OCG (5548 ) on eBay and it was $3,000. I would like to add one or two to my lab if I can find some that aren't too expensive as Nexus skills seem to be in demand right now.

I tried installing the Nexus 1000V to play with, but only managed to get the VSM (Supervisor) installed. The Installer App wants me to shut down all active VMs before it will install the VEM (Line Card?), which isn't something I can do without some preparation as shutting them down would disrupt my wireless as one of those VMs is providing 802.1X Authentication/RADIUS. I tried vMotioning the VM to another server, but it wouldn't let me because the other server doesn't support Carryless Something or the Other and AES.
R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
Security: CCNA [ ]
Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There isn't anything cheap home lab wise that I'm aware of. For virtualization Titanium seems to be the go to these days. Viral is another option but there are some features unavailable.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agreed with Networker, you best option is VIRL.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Saw a $2000 FEX on ebay a few months back, pretty much useless without a 5K though :) .. like the other guys said I would try and use VIRL and Rack Rentals too pass any DC exams - I'm assuming you are studying for CCNA DC or CCNP DC? I used Cisco PEC and INE Rack Rental tokens to pass my NA DC, It was quite a put off with progressing onwards with Data Centre studies as it can get so expensive!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    Saw a $2000 FEX on ebay a few months back, pretty much useless without a 5K though :) .. like the other guys said I would try and use VIRL and Rack Rentals too pass any DC exams - I'm assuming you are studying for CCNA DC or CCNP DC? I used Cisco PEC and INE Rack Rental tokens to pass my NA DC, It was quite a put off with progressing onwards with Data Centre studies as it can get so expensive!

I was reading through the books, but mainly looking to get some hands on experience with Nexus since most Network Engineer positions around here prefer Nexus experience [in addition to traditional R&S knowledge/experience.]

I also noticed the FEXs on eBay, but when I looked them up realized they required a Nexus 5k, which killed that idea. It looks like I might have to reinstall ESXi to make Nexus 1000V work (as the VEM seems to be holding onto information for a previous VSM and won't let it go), which is not an option. VIRL may be my only viable option.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12937271/nexus-1000v-cant-add-host-dvs
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Is it the kind of money you could "invest" for the 3-6 months you will be studying? You could resell it once you've completed, and likely make your money back (+/-10%). It would still work out cheaper than attending a training course to get access to a lab.

Otherwise, virtual or rack rentals.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM