Study strategy for CHFI, your advice please.

carlettuscarlettus Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello to All of you,
and sorry if I disturb but I hope you can give me a good advice since I'm confused.
I took the CEH V9 almost 3 weeks ago, all went fine and now I would like to start studying CHFI by myself .
I would like to share with you my study strategy and I wish you can advice is it's valid or not.
  • I'm subscribed to CBT nuggets and ITPro.tv
  • I'm planning to buy the book CHFI Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator Certification All-in-One Exam Guide
  • u certify for the questions

I would like to know from you:
1)creating a lab is necessary-mandatory or not to pass the exam?
2)are there simulations on the exam?
3)do you consider the book mentioned before a valid choice? can I relay only on it?

Thank you
Carlettus

Comments

• ablindseyablindsey Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was MUCH easier than CEH for me. As for your querstions:

1)creating a lab is necessary-mandatory or not to pass the exam? NOPE!, do not need to I just watched the videos and read the AIO book.

2)are there simulations on the exam? No, 125 multiple choice questions, same as CEH

3)do you consider the book mentioned before a valid choice? can I relay only on it? It's a good book but never rely on only ONE source for studying. If you are a WGU student use the videos from EC Council and any other materials WGU provides you as well.
  • carlettuscarlettus Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    and thank you. I noticed that Sec+ was much more difficult compared to CEH ... and now you are telling me that CHFI is easier than CEH .... icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif well let me try.
    I'm not a student of WGU, so I can only use commercial stuff and google.
    Just to know ... how long did it take you to study and take the exam ?

Ciao
    Carlettus
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1) You won't need a lab for the CHFI. At all. It's strictly a paper drill.

2) There are no simulations.

3) The book worked fine for me. I used a combination of the book and the uCertify material (flashcards and practice tests) and did fine. If you only use the book, you might get by as well, but I would recommend using a second source.

CHFI was much easier than CEH, and I took the older version of the CEH which I've heard is easier than the one you took. You still have to study for the CHFI, but when you sit down to take the test, you should not have any problems.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Cybrary.it has videos for CEH and CHFI, I believe. I think they call them penetration testing and forensics, but they look to be targetted at these exams.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was hoping that someone could provide more info about CHFI. I have the following resources:

AIO book CHFI
    EC Council official courseware CHFIv8
    iLabs CHFIv8
    uCertify CHFIv8

Do you think these resources will be enough for the CHFI? I took the v9 of CEH so I'm hoping that the v8 for CHFI will be easier.
    Anyone know of any good/accurate practice exams for CHFIv8? I only have the AIO practice exams and the uCertify exams.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have to ask but do you plan to do with this certification if your not a WGU student?

- b/eads
    beads wrote: »
    Have to ask but do you plan to do with this certification if your not a WGU student?

- b/eads

yes why not? I want to change my job and move to the security area, here in Italy the request for Forensic Investigators is increasing ....
    Anyone know of any good/accurate practice exams for CHFIv8? I only have the AIO practice exams and the uCertify exams.

Hello,
    Boson ( The tool I use to perform exam simulations ) doesn't provide questions for CHFI so I noticed that many people are using Skillset web site to perform exams simulations . Is it valid? i noticed only few questions to practice compared to transcender or boson.
    Thank you
    Thank you to all of you for your advice, I ordered the book on Amazon.
    I'll keep you updated on my progress .
    Ciao
    CArlettus
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @Carlettus;

Then I would look closer at SANS forensic training or EnCase and gain some actual real world skill where the CHFI which will give next to nothing (skill wise) save the chain of custody.

Yes, I have EC-Council certs but find the "skill" gained from such exposure to be weak at best. Seventy (70) percent of my time is spent performing digital and face to face investigations. I get to face my clients as well so I am well versed in all forms of real world investigation.

- b/eads
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I though CEH was a piece of crap, until I went through the CHFI. When I took the test I couldn't help but feeling I was taking a Windows MTA exam or some other lower level cert. I'm not a full time forensicator by trade and found this test stupidly easy. I would have a hard time justifying the cost. Unless an employer specifically says "CHFI required", you may not see much ROI. At least here in the states most of the time I see the CHFI in a job posting it's buried in an endless list of "required" or "strongly preferred" certifications. Example:
    Strongly prefer at least one of the following certifications: Security+, EnCE, CEH, ACE, CHFI, CCNA, CISSP, CCE, CFCE, CTT+, Network+, MCSE, MCP, Server+, SSCP...

Having been through the SANS FOR 408 course and 3 EnCase classes I can tell you those are light years ahead in terms of quality and real world hands-on skills. Yes, they are expensive, but will help you become a better practitioner who know what he's doing.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sweet, I guess I won't have any problems passing it tomorrow. Lol
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I though CEH was a piece of crap, until I went through the CHFI. When I took the test I couldn't help but feeling I was taking a Windows MTA exam or some other lower level cert. I'm not a full time forensicator by trade and found this test stupidly easy. I would have a hard time justifying the cost. Unless an employer specifically says "CHFI required", you may not see much ROI.
    Well. You were right. Lol icon_redface.gif
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats. Now go study for a real forensics cert so you can wash off the EC Council smell icon_smile.gif
    edited January 2022
    Well, I'll take a shower after CEH. WGU won't accept me into their MS security without a security cert on their list, even though their site says I qualify. So I'm going to get both ECC's to take care of those classes and meet the prerequisites at the same time. Sigh

Edit: On another note, I did pass the CCFE. Somewhat mixed feelings about it, but the practical exam was a nice aspect. Overall, positive. I do have a voucher to take the ISC^2 CCFP, I'll probably do that one later this year.