Just passed the SSCP

jonemacjonemac Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just finished the SSCP exam and passed.

It took me about 1 1/2 hours. I went through it once completely and then reviewed the flagged questions - I probably flagged about 25-30 questions. I have no idea what kind of score I actually achieved but I came away from it with a couple of distinct impressions.

If you're the kind of person that struggles with "reading for meaning", you're going to really hate this exam. It wasn't that the questions were all that tough, it's just that the way a lot of them were worded made them more than little ambiguous. I found that I had to be really careful to parse the words correctly. Many times I was left with 2 questions that might work. When that happened, I reread the question and made sure I knew what the "action" word was asking. "Best", "Most Likely", "primarily" etc..

I sat the Security+ about 5-weeks ago and they are similar in many ways, but I actually thought the Sec+ exam was a little tougher because of the shorter time constraint and knowledge based questions. If you get the chance, do them in tandem.

Onward!

Comments

• kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • SscpSscp Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I actually struggled w/ the same issue left to choose between 2 possible correct answers, with the review of the red flagged questions, I went back and forth between 2 choices, unfortunately came up 55 points short :0(

New in the field w/ little experience so trying to get this certification passed, oh well will re-try. So Sec+ materials will help as well?
  • jonemacjonemac Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Absolutely.

The SSCP had more in the way of what I'd call "managerial" questions, but ultimately they covered a lot of the same ground.
  • TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Congratulations on the pass, not a very easy exam.

Sec+ and SSCP did cover some of the same ground, now you've got that... what's up next :)
  • jonemacjonemac Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Probably ITIL Foundation, C|EH and I may redo my expired CCNA and add the security track to it. I have a lengthy and solid background in software engineering and scripting as well as a ton of small business consulting experience so all of this is possible. It'll just depend on money, time and whether I see a market for the cert...
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • trustedsecuritytrustedsecurity Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • alo4660alo4660 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jonemac wrote: »
    I just finished the SSCP exam and passed.

It took me about 1 1/2 hours. I went through it once completely and then reviewed the flagged questions - I probably flagged about 25-30 questions. I have no idea what kind of score I actually achieved but I came away from it with a couple of distinct impressions.

If you're the kind of person that struggles with "reading for meaning", you're going to really hate this exam. It wasn't that the questions were all that tough, it's just that the way a lot of them were worded made them more than little ambiguous. I found that I had to be really careful to parse the words correctly. Many times I was left with 2 questions that might work. When that happened, I reread the question and made sure I knew what the "action" word was asking. "Best", "Most Likely", "primarily" etc..

I sat the Security+ about 5-weeks ago and they are similar in many ways, but I actually thought the Sec+ exam was a little tougher because of the shorter time constraint and knowledge based questions. If you get the chance, do them in tandem.

Onward!

Congrats! Could you share with me your **** you reviewed. Thank you so much.
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    alo4660 wrote: »
    Congrats! Could you share with me your **** you reviewed. Thank you so much.

**** for security exams dont exist and are frowned upon anyway
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pay for some time on CCCure instead. Also, join Cybrary. Although they don't have SSCP training, I found that their CASP, CISSP, Cryptography, and Cloud+ training helped me to pass SSCP.
    **** for security exams dont exist and are frowned upon anyway