Options

GCIH this friday!

tpasmalltpasmall Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just finished watching the on-demand class (John Strand is pretty good) and doing the CTF.

Took the first practice exam this morning and got a 73%

I've got a 10 page index that I'm working on adding some more info to, but should be getting that printed tomorrow and bound with all the SANS **** sheets.

Hoping I pass the exam, kinda rushed it (crammed it all into 2 weeks), but I'd like to get this out of the way so I can get figure out what to do next.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you just do the OnDemand training or did you go on site as well? I sit for the CISSP in a month and would like to tackle GCIH later in the year...give myself a little break!
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh yeah...GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    IaHawk wrote: »
    Did you just do the OnDemand training or did you go on site as well? I sit for the CISSP in a month and would like to tackle GCIH later in the year...give myself a little break!

Just on demand. I also bought counter-hack reloaded and I have the blue team handbook and the RTFM. Work set this up like 9 months ago, but just gave me the voucher a few weeks ago. I wanted to spend more time studying for it, but if I pass this, I may be able to get another SANS course before June.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't just get it out of the way, learn it then get it out of the way! A lot of the SANS stuff interacts or builds on the others, so it's good to have that solid foundation from one class and it'll pay dividends with another class.

Also - good luck! It's a great class with a ton of valuable stuff in it. If you've got the budget, GPEN is a great follow-up.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck on your exam!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Don't just get it out of the way, learn it then get it out of the way! A lot of the SANS stuff interacts or builds on the others, so it's good to have that solid foundation from one class and it'll pay dividends with another class.

Also - good luck! It's a great class with a ton of valuable stuff in it. If you've got the budget, GPEN is a great follow-up.

Yeah, I think 'get it out of the way' may have been a bad choice of words. I have been waiting 9 months to take this class, and now am on a time crunch due to end of the year performance evaluations. If I can do this, pass it and take a second class before that year is up, I should (hopefully) be in a line for a decent raise. (in addition to all the stuff I got to learn in the class)

Took the second practice test today and focused on it a lot better (shut off the tv), got a 90% on it and added a ton of stuff to my index. I'm hoping with some more studying and good focus tomorrow, I should hopefully be able to do as well on the actual test and get into the advisory board (would love to be on that mailing list!)
  • Options
    Passed the test today with a 92%!!!

I have to say, even if you take the test, Counter Hack Reloaded and Blue Team Handbook are both super useful for the exam. Not everything in the exam was in the course, so you really have to know your stuff.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice, congrats!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice score, congrats!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tpasmall wrote: »
    I have to say, even if you take the test, Counter Hack Reloaded and Blue Team Handbook are both super useful for the exam. Not everything in the exam was in the course, so you really have to know your stuff.

Congratulations. I found the same thing with my GSEC, there were questions on the exam not in the books, just a few, but not all the answers are in the books as they claim. How many questions do you estimate were not in the books for the GCIH?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great score, and welcome to the GIAC Advisory Board (should you accept, of course :) )
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Congratulations. I found the same thing with my GSEC, there were questions on the exam not in the books, just a few, but not all the answers are in the books as they claim. How many questions do you estimate were not in the books for the GCIH?

I'd say around %15-%20 give or take. It was a good size chunk.