Career Path Insight

m2244m2244 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am currently in the Air Force, working in a network support squadron. I do not have much of a computer background. I do not know a lot about networking. Actually, I have been exposed to several topics in the field such as security, but mostly programming and DB front-end work.

I have several years before retirement and would like learn skills that will help me contribute more as an IT professional.

I guess my question boils down to; what avenues would you suggest to learn networking? I know youtube has "courses" that people have created. I would also be interested in certs, just not sure where to start.

I know this is fairly vague but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Professor Messer videos or purchasing the Meyers videos on Udemy will give you a good foot in the door of understanding. Check the Net+ and CCENT/CCNA subforums as well. There is plenty of topics discussing similar questions. Self study is easy, but labbing to get real experience is what you will want to focus on.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Network+ is always a great place to start, if you wanted to get your feet wet with networking and pick up a certification along the way. I would say a combination of N+ and Security+ would be a great place to start. Tomko probably pointed out one of the best free resources for N+, Professor Messer. His voice is a little monotone for me, but the information he gives is top notch. You can find him on YouTube. He does offer low cost study guide, but all of the videos are free.
  • m2244m2244 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OK, thank you. Very good info.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @m2244 How long have you been in the AF, and did you originally start in IT when you got it? Since I know that you have the opp to do training while you are still in I would take advantage that. Also see if there are other opportunities to move into other positions (although I know that's hard to do the longer you are in). Whatever you can squeeze out of the AF, do it. I'd also recommend completing your degree before you retire, as it will set you up nicely.

Best thing that I could recommend to you is to first get your A+, Network+, and Security+ as a good foundation. The Sec+ alone with help you with the 8570 requirement. From there, I would find an area of interest. What type of role would you like to get into? If you aren't sure, then I'd start with some of the Microsoft certifications such as the MCSA/MCSE. You can take the MS certs into other avenues such as information security, linux administration, and so on. Don't ever limit yourself, if you have the chance to get into VMWare, or Cisco, do it. The more exposure you have, the better off you will be.
  • m2244m2244 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    @m2244 How long have you been in the AF, and did you originally start in IT when you got it? Since I know that you have the opp to do training while you are still in I would take advantage that. Also see if there are other opportunities to move into other positions (although I know that's hard to do the longer you are in). Whatever you can squeeze out of the AF, do it. I'd also recommend completing your degree before you retire, as it will set you up nicely.

Best thing that I could recommend to you is to first get your A+, Network+, and Security+ as a good foundation. The Sec+ alone with help you with the 8570 requirement. From there, I would find an area of interest. What type of role would you like to get into? If you aren't sure, then I'd start with some of the Microsoft certifications such as the MCSA/MCSE. You can take the MS certs into other avenues such as information security, linux administration, and so on. Don't ever limit yourself, if you have the chance to get into VMWare, or Cisco, do it. The more exposure you have, the better off you will be.

Thanks for the help. I have been doing mostly programming - SQL, PHP, jQuery, etc. Now I am in a different office, more inline with IT but my programming responsibilities came with me so it's been hard picking this stuff up.