Fork in the Road CHFI or CCNP Sec?

precisemmcprecisemmc Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

So Ive been studying for 3 months and I recently passed my CEHv9 certification. Would like to thank a few of the people here who pointed out important topics etc. Now moving on to the question at hand, Im considering a few other certifications at the moment and Im wondering if I should dive deeper with CISSP/CHFI or take a break and start working on my CCNP Security ( 4 exams total )

Eventually I would like to have my CISSP and CCIE but thats probably a few months way down the road. Im asking because I know sometimes exams have topic overlaps for example coming from CCNA Security PKI , RSA , AES and alot of topics were previously emphasized so I skipped over those sections. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There is not really a reason to get CHFI unless you need a "forensic" certification. Your money will probably be spent better elsewhere judging by what you wrote and the certifications that you have listed.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What is the end goal here? Are you looking for something to bolster the resume, gain understanding of forensics, etc.? The CHFI is a piece of garbage in my opinion. I've never seen another test that covered so much basic material that's outside the scope of the specific area it addresses. Pair that with the cost and it doesn't make any sense to take it unless it's required by a current or prospective employer. If you are doing it just to gain understanding of digital forensics, you'll be better off doing something else.
  • precisemmcprecisemmc Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I dont remember the online university but apparently the CHFI will allow you to obtain some credits thats about the only appeal the certification has for me at the moment. I dont plan on seriously perusing that field ( forensics ) its just more or less a check box. But after looking at the cost I should probably just look else where or start looking at the CISSP. Honestly I would prefer having certifications that would grown my value and not just be fluff on my resume. CompTIA certs are kind of baseline/useless so as it stands having a few more noteworthy certs might help.

Hmm appreciate the responses they're really helping me come to a conclusion.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My recommendation is to skip anything EC-Council unless it's CEH (and even then only to get your foot in the door for a resume). Low quality of work and not well-respected by many (but not all) in the community.
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    EC Council introduced yearly membership fees as of Jan 1st 2016.
    One of the benefits is that you get a free voucher every cycle (3 years???)
    Just a thought it might be worth it to go after other certs and in 3 years get get CHFI for basically free.
    "Any member certified or recertified January 1st 2016 onwards and continues to keep their certification active will be eligible to receive one free certification voucher upon completion of their latest ECE cycle, with values ranging from $125 to $650.You are also eligible to receive exclusive discounts to attend EC-Council Events such as Hacker Halted and TakeDownCon as well as a discount on additional EC-Council certification programs and materials."
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    What is the end goal here? Are you looking for something to bolster the resume, gain understanding of forensics, etc.? The CHFI is a piece of garbage in my opinion. I've never seen another test that covered so much basic material that's outside the scope of the specific area it addresses. Pair that with the cost and it doesn't make any sense to take it unless it's required by a current or prospective employer. If you are doing it just to gain understanding of digital forensics, you'll be better off doing something else.

Agree! I wasn't sure if I was taking a forensics cert or if it was CEH lite. Was a weird exam for sure and don't see how it was a forensics oriented exam. It also have pretty much zero ROI.

*Tried to rep you but looks like I have to spread the love around a bit more.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IronmanX wrote: »
    EC Council introduced yearly membership fees as of Jan 1st 2016.
    One of the benefits is that you get a free voucher every cycle (3 years???)
    Just a thought it might be worth it to go after other certs and in 3 years get get CHFI for basically free.
    "Any member certified or recertified January 1st 2016 onwards and continues to keep their certification active will be eligible to receive one free certification voucher upon completion of their latest ECE cycle, with values ranging from $125 to $650.You are also eligible to receive exclusive discounts to attend EC-Council Events such as Hacker Halted and TakeDownCon as well as a discount on additional EC-Council certification programs and materials."
    Quick question on that. Is the membership fee the same as the continuing education fee (like what CompTIA has), or are they separate fees?
    Quick question on that. Is the membership fee the same as the continuing education fee (like what CompTIA has), or are they separate fees?

Here is the link to the EC Council Member ship fee's page:
    https://cert.eccouncil.org/membership.html

I assume its the same thing.
    Comp Tia just refers to it as "Annual CE fee"
    ISSA calls it "Membership Dues"
    isc2 calls it "Annual Maintenance Fees (AMFs)"

I assume what has happened is the certification organisation have had to move to CE in order to be ANSI compliant. That is why there is a need for extra fees (More maintenance costs for the certification organisation). I'll leave out my option on the mater haha.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure EC-Council has always had a maintenance fee, at least for the last couple years. So it's no big deal to me if they want to change it to a membership fee. Especially if they're giving away a free voucher every three years. At least they're giving something for the money.
    I'm pretty sure EC-Council has always had a maintenance fee, at least for the last couple years. So it's no big deal to me if they want to change it to a membership fee. Especially if they're giving away a free voucher every three years. At least they're giving something for the money.

No its new as of Jan 1st 2016.

"Scenario 1
    Members certified prior to January 1st 2016 will not be charged a membership fee for their current cycle, The membership fee cycle will be only begin once they are recertified and their due date will be at the end of that annual cycle.

Scenario 2
    Members certified from January 1st 2016 and onwards will start their membership fee cycle 1 month from date of certification earned and their due date will be at the end of that annual cycle.
    Eg: A member certified on February 25th 2016 will have to pay his annual membership fee before Feb 28th 2017.

Scenario 3
    Members that are certified prior to January 1st 2016 but earns a new certification post December 31st 2015 – their membership fee due date will be reset as per the latest earned certificate. (as per scenario 2)

Note: LPT and/or CCISO members will be required to pay the annual membership fee for both these certifications per the LPT and CCISO membership fee requirements. LPT and CCISO certified members are not required to pay any other annual membership fees."