Road to CCENT

jetb2jetb2 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi My name is Jim and I'm a procrastiholic.

So it's been a rocky road with more stops than starts. I need something to kick me in the arse so I can take my CCENT and then my CCNA - ultimately by September 12th. 1. That's my birthday and 2. that's the day before my review at work.

I have many excuses but ultimately I'm overwhelmed by studying for the CCENT. I'm basically going to start over. I'm printing out the 100-101 objectives and I'm going to use that as a checklist as I go through the next couple of months.

I have a wealth of resources at my disposal for studying but I think I have too many. I have both Lammle and Odom's books but I think I like Odom's better because the chapters are shorter and more succinct.

I have my own hardware lab at home and I also have the Pearson Net Sim. I like the Net Sim labs because they go along with the Odom book - which is another reason to choose that book.

I'm going to be using this thread to keep motivating myself and check in a lot, a little...I don't know - I just need to keep myself moving forward and keep myself honest. I really want this - I just need to push through. Thanks for any additional help.

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you really need the motivation the register on Pearson's site today and pay for your exam. Set the date out 90 days. This should be plenty of time with the resources you have. Commit to only moving the exam closer if you are ready sooner and not pushing it out. Nothing lights a fire like an impending exam date.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    If you really need the motivation the register on Pearson's site today and pay for your exam. Set the date out 90 days. This should be plenty of time with the resources you have. Commit to only moving the exam closer if you are ready sooner and not pushing it out. Nothing lights a fire like an impending exam date.

Sadly, I agree with this. I had to do the same thing with my A+. I've been wanting to get my A+ for many years (heck, since before I found this forum), but with life being what it is (a pain in the a$$), I did not finally sit down and take the exams until last month.

I passed them both on my 1st attempt, I scheduled them a week apart so I would not overwhelm myself and I gave myself just over 30 days time from the point of scheduling them to the day I took the exams.

For me it's not so much a lack of motivation, but more a sense of procrastination, maybe irrational sub-conscious fear of failing, I dunno. But I agree none-the-less, set a deadline, stick to it, and you'll be fine. Now if I can follow my own advise with my next adventure, the CCENT (changed my mind, Network+ is not worth it).
  • jetb2jetb2 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Of course I'm finally manning up and going to register for the exam and PearsonVue is vomiting all over the place and won't let me do anything. I'll try again tomorrow.
  • jetb2jetb2 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OpenSource wrote: »
    For me it's not so much a lack of motivation, but more a sense of procrastination, maybe irrational sub-conscious fear of failing

This right here is probably what's holding me back. I think I feel so beaten down by taking so long to finish studying and take the exam that I feel like I'm drowning in the material and not sure how to get from A to Z. I've started over at the beginning three times and now I need to start over and then finish.
  • OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    jetb2 wrote: »
    This right here is probably what's holding me back. I think I feel so beaten down by taking so long to finish studying and take the exam that I feel like I'm drowning in the material and not sure how to get from A to Z. I've started over at the beginning three times and now I need to start over and then finish.

I've been there many times. I've started and stopped studying for exams over the years more times than I ever care to count.

Another problem I constantly run into is the availability of information on a given topic, all different and all with their own "spin" on said topic.
    It's difficult for me to not simply overwhelm myself psychologically with the sheer volume of information.

Forums, blogs, websites, videos, books, etc... Do I pick one? Multiple? Can I make them work well together and supplement each other (synergy), or will they simply confuse and overwhelm me?

I would also like to say that passing even one cert has helped my confidence and my need for career advancement has helped my motivation...
    I somehow hope these posts can help to keep "like minded people" from falling into the same traps I have over the years, and continue to struggle with on my certification journey.

Good luck!
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been there man. Sometimes it's motivation or just making that first step. I think for me I just get overwhelmed with so much info and different methods to get started. I dissect things too much trying to see what's best. So I am currently going through CBT nuggets and maybe the Danscourses.com stuff to get an overview and do som Packet Tracer labs just so I can get something done. After that I will probably go through the Boson Exam Max test and maybe use the book to brush up my weak areas. I work as a Network Infrastructure Tech and have been in IT since 1999 roughly. Sometimes I get so busy with things I get off track. I need to get this done though. May not sound like much but it's a start. I've taken classes in the past and have worked on some switch upgrades at my job over the past couple of years. Sometimes I just get overwhelmed and stuck.
  • Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same thing is happening to me right now with the CCENT, I have been doing this since last year. Given I had zero knowledge about networking when I started last year. I finally gotten over that hump of learning IPv4 subnetting. I am considering scheduling my exam date and see if that works for me. I am honestly a little excited about it.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thing I suggest to anyone that can afford it. Take the exam as soon as you can and allow yourself to fail it.
    There is so much anxiety about not knowing what to expect. Well it's relatively cheap to go find out!

It is easy to put these things off forever so be careful. I also agree there is to much information for CCNA you don't need to use it all. Pick a couple sources and just practice it.

Good Luck!