Options

GCIH resource

BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was going over my notes as I've been studying for SANS 504 and found this little nugget for those who are looking for resources other than the 504 course for GCIH cert.

I found a note that mentioned a booked title "Incident Handling Step by Step" which is an outline of the course, but more material is covered.

My guess is that would be "Computer Security Incident Handling Step by Step" by Steven Northcutt who founded GIAC and Presides over SANS.

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Security-Incident-Handling-Step/dp/0967299217

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    One available for sale for $347.31. I'm thinking it's a NO!!! The free NIST 800-61 should be sufficient.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    One available for sale for $347.31. I'm thinking it's a NO!!! The free NIST 800-61 should be sufficient.

I show 10 used from 7.91 on Amazon, but a new one will run you $491.01. The book is from 2003, sounds a little dated, not sure how useful it will be for the exam.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    OP posted ISBN 978-0967299211 from 1998. Yours is 978-0972427371 which is "newer" as of 2003. But yeah, I see very little value. NIST and the Incident Response & Computer Forensics book should cover the test objectives for IR pretty well.
  • Options
    valbizuresjr81valbizuresjr81 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would stick to using the SANS course material. All the information you need can be found within. Just make a really solid index.
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    By all means, if you paid for the course material that is the preferable path. But if someone doesn't have the course material and wants to wing it, they could try the book.
  • Options
    tpasmalltpasmall Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Counter Hack Reloaded is dated as well, but still useful for the exam