switch options

ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello lads,

I've been off this forum for a while now due to many circumstances. I have to say I'm really glad to be back.. :) I've been on and off work, which has kind of unfortunately not motivate me to study for anything. Things have since changed for the good I think, and I've been a junior system admin for my new/old job now for a little over a year. I'm looking to get back on track, redeem myself, work hard and get some Certs on the way. I've recently picked up a decommissioned Cisco 2600 Router at work, and would like a suggestion on what's a good switch I could get to match this router to get started with some basic training toward my CCNA cert. Eventually, I'll be getting or building a full home network lab. But for the mean time, I'd like to start slowly and built on my currently knowledge until I'm comfortable and have the funds to get a full network lab setup. I'd really appreciate all your inputs and assistance with this. Thanks all.
Cheers.

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    an inexpensive switch would be a 2950, preferable a c/g/t model. as in 2950T.
  • james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with clarson, it's a great cheap L2 switch, for CCNA studies.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    In 2016, I'd suggest looking for 2960 or 3560, since they both support ios 15. The 2950 is stuck back in 2010 with ios 12.1.x which is a long way from current. It will still give you a taste, but some things have changed.

A CCNA lab ideally has 3 switches and 3 routers. However, some or all of these can be achieved in a virtualised environment such as VIRL, IOL/IOU or GNS3.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    In 2016, I'd suggest looking for 2960 or 3560, since they both support ios 15. The 2950 is stuck back in 2010 with ios 12.1.x which is a long way from current. It will still give you a taste, but some things have changed.

A CCNA lab ideally has 3 switches and 3 routers. However, some or all of these can be achieved in a virtualised environment such as VIRL, IOL/IOU or GNS3.

I can also agree with this. Although I asume the reason the OP is looking at the 2950 is for cost reasons. Yeah having IOS 15 will be helpful, and will give you a better look at anything new that has been added. However IOS 12 will have all of the commands needed for the CCNA as well.
  • ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't have the funds to get all the equipment right now, as I understand ideally, I'll need 3 switches and 3 routers. Will it be ok to get 1 of the 2950 and 2 of the switches with the updated ios? is the 2950 ios not upgradable to the ios 15.?
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It isn't so much weather the ios is upgradable or not. The 2950 only has 16mb of flash memory. The version 15 ios is about 16mb in size. So, the version 15 of the ios cant be installed on the hardware that a 2950 has. So, cisco has stopped making upgrades for the ios that runs on a 2050.

Yes the 2950 is compatable with switches that do run version 15 of the ios
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Stick to the 2950 g/t/c get whichever versions are cheaper on ebay. they go for about 30-50 each. GET 3 to study STP.
    Then buy some 3 or 1 ft cable on ebay for $1-2 each. Crossovers btw.
    It will give you all of the commands you need. No reason for ios15. Dont worry about ram etc, these cannot be upgraded.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great info. Thanks. looking at a few on Ebay right now.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    FWIW, I paid $50 for each of my 3560s. If you are looking on eBay, broaden the search. It looks like you might be able to get a 3560 TS (not the PS models, they are cheap because no IOS 15) in USA for around $35. 2960's and 3750's are same ballpark maybe. 2950's are about $10 cheaper.

It's bottom of the market that you are looking at, so a large percentage saving is still a small absolute saving. If you have the extra $30-50, I'd get something better.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • ebohlmanebohlman Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Be careful to look at total cost including shipping: often with low-end Cisco stuff the shipping can be as much as the base price.

One advantage of 2960/3560/3750 over 2950/3550 is that the former are all auto-MDIx so you can connect them with straight cables instead of crossovers.
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    FWIW, I paid $50 for each of my 3560s. If you are looking on eBay, broaden the search. It looks like you might be able to get a 3560 TS (not the PS models, they are cheap because no IOS 15) in USA for around $35. 2960's and 3750's are same ballpark maybe. 2950's are about $10 cheaper.

It's bottom of the market that you are looking at, so a large percentage saving is still a small absolute saving. If you have the extra $30-50, I'd get something better.

I've got to agree with OctalDump, $30 over $40 might be a 25% saving, buts it's just $10!!! I've always been a cheerleader for buying real kit and not relying on emulators/simulators (even if technically you could pass CCNA using them), and for buying x8xx-series routers and xx60-series switches over older more obsolete kit that is barely any cheaper.