Options

First security exam - this too hard?

Lucky_IrishLucky_Irish Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Folks,

I am a Chartered Accountant / CPA, and about a year ago I started working in enterprise risk / data governance.

I want to get certified to progress professionally, do you think this exam is too technical as a starting point? Do people have suggestions on an intro certification / experience with sitting the exam without previous Info Sec experience?

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Get a book regarding the subject. You decide.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's definitely possible I've read nemerous threads of folks passing with no prior experience.
  • Options
    Well, go for it!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Lucky_IrishLucky_Irish Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you recommend any specific books to research or online areas to access material for free?
  • Options
    ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    Do you recommend any specific books to research or online areas to access material for free?

I sat the sec+ exam with no prior infosec experience....

I used the sybex book, and Professor Messer. I watched all his youtube videos, took notes, downloaded a Sec+ andriod app with practice test questions. When I was at work and had downtime I was studying for my Sec+ all the time. When I was driving to and from work I was listening to Professor Messer. And before bed I read a chapter of the book and studied hard... The test is easy if you study.

Good Luck! You will be fine.

icon_study.gif
  • Options
    also use Darrill Gibson's book and online guide (which you can have a 30 day access to--I think it goes all the way up to a year..if needed)
  • Options
    CAIRNECAIRNE Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I haven't done Security+ but found a certified CompTIA study guide at my local library to gauge the material and depth of detail needed for the exam. I'd recommend the same to scope out and see how far you have to go to pass the exam. For Security+ they recommend at least 2 years experience in an IT position with a Security emphasis, but people with different or little prior experience take the exam and pass. Really down to how much you understand and in depth study. Just don't book until you're really certain of your knowledge then go for it.