MCSA Here I come!!!

I have done a lot and I mean a lot of thought. I have decided to pursue my MCSA and build my way up to my CISSP. Here is my track that I am going for as far as getting certs...

1. MCSA
2. CEH
3. CCNA
4. CASP
5. Linux +
6. RHCA
7. CISSP
8. GSEC

So I plan on studying for at least 3 months prior to taking the exams. at 150.00 a pop its not that bad at all. For those that have your MCSA, how was your experience with the test, and what resources did you use to study??? I plan on using the following resources (I will be taking the Win server 2012 cert)

Books:
- Jeremy Moskowitz - Group Policy
- Don Jones - Powershell
- Brian Desmond - Active Directory
Mastering windows server 2012 R2 - Pluralsight
- W Stanek - Win 2012 inside out

I will also be using the Cybex book, as well as CBNuggets and youtube as far as training videos.

Wish me luck on my MCSA Journey and I welcome any other resources you all can suggest. icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

icon_study.gif

Comments

• v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't have the MCSA yet but I did pass 70-410 last month and taking 70-411 mid May.

Im using CBT Nuggets' MCSA videos and Sybex complete MCSA book.
  • MHTECHMHTECH Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck, you can see my thread about what I'm using etc
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! Keep us all posted!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well good luck on passing the exam. You have the similar goals I have on your cert goal.

Like the material you will be using for your study. Trust me paying $150 is hard... I paid for it 3 times already ugh...
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    That is an unusual order. Do you have experience with all these things already? Or are you learning as you go? If you are still learning, I'd suggest a different order.

Also, do you mean RHCA or RHCSA or RHCE?

MCSA isn't a bad place to start. It covers quite a lot of ground for Windows technologies, so is a good way to get a handle on the basics and breadth.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OctalDump, what would be your suggested order?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! We are here to help if you need it along the way :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • candidateXcandidateX Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thomas, Glad to have you on board.
    Good luck with your studies.

Btw, that Group Policy book is close to 800 pages, mastering 2012 is close to 1200 pages.

A little overkill if you ask me. Too much to read in a short time, not enough lab time.

All I am using is Don Poulton's 70-410 book, Pluralsight 70-410 and a virtual lab.
    I also use Bohack's(user here) NetworkedMinds video series for the 70-410. Amazing free content. Broken into lectures and labs!
    Many thanks Bohack!

This should be sufficient. I do plan on buying that mastering 2012 book one day though :)

The CBT nugs for 70-410 is kind of ehhh. You would know if you had to deal with James Conrad before.
    It was also amended for R2 updates as opposed to Pluralsight's version made from scratch for R2.
    DO, PLEASE DO, USE CBT NUGGETS FOR CCNA :D

Did you ever get around to figuring out your lab setup???
    What is your work/life situation, when do you plan on getting those hours in?
    Please tell me you have a notebook to take notes during video lectures. Just like in highschool, your written notes cement things into your brain in a way printouts could never.

As I mentioned previously, I am T minus 2 months and have been churning away at this book. Totally stuck on DNS right now lol.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • candidateXcandidateX Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mastering server 2012 was probably the most helpful/well written that book I read during my MCSA studies. Not read the GP one though
  • ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    Thomas, Glad to have you on board.
    Good luck with your studies.

Btw, that Group Policy book is close to 800 pages, mastering 2012 is close to 1200 pages.

A little overkill if you ask me. Too much to read in a short time, not enough lab time.

All I am using is Don Poulton's 70-410 book, Pluralsight 70-410 and a virtual lab.
    I also use Bohack's(user here) NetworkedMinds video series for the 70-410. Amazing free content. Broken into lectures and labs!
    Many thanks Bohack!

This should be sufficient. I do plan on buying that mastering 2012 book one day though :)

The CBT nugs for 70-410 is kind of ehhh. You would know if you had to deal with James Conrad before.
    It was also amended for R2 updates as opposed to Pluralsight's version made from scratch for R2.
    DO, PLEASE DO, USE CBT NUGGETS FOR CCNA :D

Did you ever get around to figuring out your lab setup???
    What is your work/life situation, when do you plan on getting those hours in?
    Please tell me you have a notebook to take notes during video lectures. Just like in highschool, your written notes cement things into your brain in a way printouts could never.

As I mentioned previously, I am T minus 2 months and have been churning away at this book. Totally stuck on DNS right now lol.

Cisco,

I plan on taking your advice and using the same things that you are using. As far as home and work... I am in training at my new job working 8-5 Mon-fri. But im about to switch over to 4 11hr days and have 3 days off... So I plan to study for at least 5hrs a day on my off days then 30mins before bed or on my lunch break at work. (prob during my lunch I will study)

I have plenty of notebooks. I went out and bought a notebook for each section of the tests... 1 for each test... maybe 2 for each test.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    gncsmith wrote: »
    OctalDump, what would be your suggested order?

It depends where you are starting from. But as far as Info Sec goes, I'd do the GSEC before CEH and CEH before CASP, and CISSP last. I'd also do Linux+ (or RHCSA) and at least CCENT (ICND1) before GSEC. CCNA (and MCSA) would be good to get before CASP. GSEC sits somewhere between Sec+ and CASP. It's a generalist qualification, which would make CEH easier. CASP is definitely harder than CEH, and the CEH can make CASP easier.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    OctalDump wrote: »
    That is an unusual order. Do you have experience with all these things already? Or are you learning as you go? If you are still learning, I'd suggest a different order.

MCSA isn't a bad place to start. It covers quite a lot of ground for Windows technologies, so is a good way to get a handle on the basics and breadth.

I have a small amnt of experience with Windows server 2012, Exchange 2010, ADUC (I was a admin able to create, modify, move and delete accounts) I love windows and I used ADUC, exchange 2010 etc... in my last help desk role. So I want to build on that knowledge and get more experience from the knowledge the MCSA will give me... especially about group policy and the like.

I eventually want to get my Red Hat Certification I meant RHCA.

I want to make sure I know Win Server, ADUC, Exchange 2010 backwards and forwards... A lot of jobs in my area use them and require that knowledge.

icon_study.gif

Also what would your suggested order be? Please share with me
  • ksmith0001ksmith0001 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what tips do anyone have in passing the mcsa? do you use the 90 day trial on a vm?
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ksmith0001 wrote: »
    what tips do anyone have in passing the mcsa? do you use the 90 day trial on a vm?

Yep. There are 180day trials available. Should be enough time.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends where you are starting from. But as far as Info Sec goes, I'd do the GSEC before CEH and CEH before CASP, and CISSP last. I'd also do Linux+ (or RHCSA) and at least CCENT (ICND1) before GSEC. CCNA (and MCSA) would be good to get before CASP. GSEC sits somewhere between Sec+ and CASP. It's a generalist qualification, which would make CEH easier. CASP is definitely harder than CEH, and the CEH can make CASP easier.

OctalDump, thanks! That's about what I've been planning.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□

Yah James is a smart guy, but the speed at which he goes during his video training can be a little .. nauseating. I notice he tends to speed up when the material becomes difficult when in fact he should slow down. Still the best option if you cannot afford actual brick and mortar training though..